Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Painful fungal toe - help!

(44 Posts)
silenceisadistantmemory Sun 19-Nov-17 18:08:48

Posting here for traffic.

I have hideous fungal toes- mainly because I’ve been pregnant or breastfeeding for two years so couldn’t treat them.

It’s getting very, very painful.

Anything I can do?

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:11:50

Painting stuff on them won't work if it's been two years.

You could try the Lamisil tablets, but they can be very dangerous and cause liver damage.

Personally, I'd recommend just getting them off and starting again.

silenceisadistantmemory Sun 19-Nov-17 18:24:03

Can’t use the paint on stuff or lamisil due to breastfeeding

CakeNinja Sun 19-Nov-17 18:24:26

Are you still pregnant or breastfeeding? If so, you really need to wait until you aren't to be able to treat it effectively.

GeorgieBoy95 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:45:51

What is involved in getting a toenail off? And does it grow back? And if not, how does that work??

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sun 19-Nov-17 19:06:47

GeorgieBoy95 If's called toenail surgery. You get injected with a needle (it's the only part you can feel but it is horrific), then the long and short of it is they pull it off with what looks like piers.

It's a very, very short operation; over in less than ten minutes (though you shouldn't walk on it for while after).

If it's a recurring or severe problem they will put phenol on the nailbed so it doesn't grow back (always a small chance it will, though). I've had it done twice to the same toe and am having it done twice more.

What do you mean "how does that work"? You just don't have a toenail there anymore; you don't need one anyway, and seeing the nailbed is much better than seeing a fungal or ingrown nail.

silenceisadistantmemory Sun 19-Nov-17 19:30:51

Yes, I’m still breastfeeding. Would just go get the lamisil otherwise

Bananajam Sun 19-Nov-17 19:36:39

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 - presumably this is a private op you're paying to have done? Are you saying the nail keeps growing back? I have a serious infection in several toes and been offered the usual oral treatments which did not help and had side effects that meant I stopped taking them. Nothing else works and surgery for me at least was not available on the NHS as it's considered cosmetic.

Mrsfluff Sun 19-Nov-17 21:44:59

With mine I scraped out as much of the infection as I could and then put Vicks under the nail every day. It's now cleared up.

TheProdigalRhubarb Sun 19-Nov-17 21:49:06

I read on here about soaking them in a mixture of white vinegar and listerine, daily. It certainly helped mine (may have cured it completely if I was organised enough to do it every day)

MyCatIsPlottingToKillMe Sun 19-Nov-17 22:23:13

Raw garlic and tea tree oil are both powerful natural antifungals which you can use as a poultice (not woo, I can provide references from Medline), but if they don't work it might be because your fungal infection is more deep seated and you'll need to talk to your GP in that case to see what oral antifungals you can take while you're pregnant.

How do you know it's fungal by the way? Have you had samples from your skin or nails sent away for culture for dermatophytes? I'm just thinking, it could be a chronic bacterial infection, in which case antifungals wouldn't actually do anything. Could be worth getting a dermatophyte culture done, and also get a swab done around your toe for MC & S (for bacteria).

bananafish81 Sun 19-Nov-17 22:39:26

Lunula Cold laser if it's a nail infection - incredibly effective (although also incredibly not inexpensive)

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sun 19-Nov-17 22:46:52

Bananajam No, none of them have been private. The first two OPs were NHS Podiatry and the next two are NHS Orthopaedics.

They were/are causing me a lot of pain, so they're happy to offer me the surgeries because it isn't just cosmetic. My big toenail on one foot has grown on top of itself about thirty times meaning it's several inches thick.

The first two OPs were both on one toe. The first OP they didn't put phenol on it and when it grew back it was still fungal, so I needed a second OP.

The next two OPs, one is on my other big toe (several inches thick nail) and the other is the toe that's been done twice already to get rid of tiny nail remnants that are growing on top of each other but not fully forming a nail.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Sun 19-Nov-17 22:48:13

I posted on here about my fungal toenail and I took the advice to use oregano oil.

It works! I've been applying it for around 6 weeks, just a couple of drops, one that goes into the gap at the top of the nail and another to soak in at the base.

My nail was terrible before I started, I'd used the chemical stuff but it made no difference.
I thought I was about to lose the whole nail.

But after 6 weeks of oregano oil, careful sanding away of the top surface and regular clipping, I can finally see healthy nail growing at last.

Thanks MN.

PeaPodPopper Sun 19-Nov-17 22:55:06

You could try the Lamisil tablets, but they can be very dangerous and cause liver damage

Before being prescibed these tablets your bloods are taken for liver function. Only if the results are normal is the prescription then given out.
Then during the course of medication (mine was for a year) your blood is tested at intervals to ensure everything remains ok.

It worked very well and now 2 years later have no recurrence of the infection.

AGapInTheMarket Sun 19-Nov-17 23:04:58

I've been spraying mine with tea-tree oil (it's an aerosol one intended for cleaning that I squirt as much as I can under the nail. It's working quite well, just as well as the laser I paid a fortune for, and which didn't fully clear it up despite three goes at it.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sun 19-Nov-17 23:50:59

Before being prescibed these tablets your bloods are taken for liver function. Only if the results are normal is the prescription then given out.
Then during the course of medication (mine was for a year) your blood is tested at intervals to ensure everything remains ok.

I know; I took them for a year myself (and they didn't work). Regardless of how many tests they do, they are dangerous tablets than can cause liver damage in perfectly healthy people.

Bananajam Mon 20-Nov-17 08:37:01

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 that sounds horribly painful and yes, obviously not cosmetic. I hope they get it sorted for you.

SquashedInTight Mon 20-Nov-17 08:45:45

My DH has been putting tea tree oil on his for about 9 months. The bottom half of the nails are now fungus free. It is working!!

toomanydicksonthedancefloor1 Mon 20-Nov-17 08:56:08

Before you go down the surgery route you could try the Canesten fungal nail treatment.

It worked amazingly well for me. I have had really painful ingrown big toe nails for about 10 years. About the top third of each nail was also infected.

You put the treatment cream on, wrap in a special plaster and repeat every 24 hours. When you take each plaster off a bit more of the infected nail will literally scrape off. I think you are meant to do it for 21days but I only needed 7 days treatment, that’s how good it was.

So after the treatment I was just left with the bottom half of my toenail (the uninflected part). I then kept painting this with a standard paint on treatment every night while the nail grew back. For me, it grew back with no infection and was no longer ingrown. I was amazed. My toe nails are no longer manky! To be honest I didn’t expect it to work, I just thought I’d give it a try before seeing a chiropodist.

It’s quite pricey, about £20 on Amazon I think, but worth every penny for me.

LuubyLuu Mon 20-Nov-17 09:12:02

I had hideous fungal nails for about eight years, on and off pregnancy and breastfeeding meant I just tried natural remedies, Vicks, Apple Cider Vinegar etc, and then the paint-on liquids in between when I wasn't pregnant/feeding and afterwards, none with any success.

I was pretty resigned to them being a permanent fixture, but then when saw a podiatrist (about other foot issues) he said to take the prescription medication as they'd been bad for so long, and implied that the side effects are over-egged to put patients off because the medication is expensive. Anyway, I noticed a difference within a couple of weeks of taking the tablets, and three months later, all the nails were completely clear, and have remained so.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Mon 20-Nov-17 09:22:09

Bananajam Yeah, it is painful. But the thing is, it only got so bad because they wouldn't do anything at the beginning because it was "just cosmetic".

Had they taken action, it would never have been so severe, or recurring.

PutYourBracesTogether Mon 20-Nov-17 09:27:51

I've been taking Terbinafine for 6 months and my nails are finally clearing.
I've had bad toenails for years and this is the only thing that's worked for me.

StUmbrageinSkelt Mon 20-Nov-17 09:37:57

Soaking in cider vinegar and painting with Vicks daily has worked for mine. The grotty part is now flaking off and a new nail is growing.

Footle Mon 20-Nov-17 12:00:23

I finished a 9 month course of Terbinafine about two years ago. The fungus is back with a vengeance on most of my toenails.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now