Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Talk to me about Jahovah Wittnesses?

(121 Posts)
Medwaymumoffour Sun 19-Nov-17 17:06:37

Ok so I think I have made a big mistake here.

They called one day months ago and I was quite happy to talk to them, show interest etc. I’m from a Christian background but by no means a regular church goer. I said I might be interested in going along and seeing what their church is like and maybe some bible classes. I said I have no interest in converting from the start.
However they keep on turned up at my house, which of course is unannounced and feels very pushy lately.
So..... if was to go along like I said will they be happy to stop there? I have zero intention of changing religion ( yes I know it’s the same religion basically but there’s more than one thing I’m not prepared to do to convert. I looked in JW as a child and made my choices then, my beliefs never changed).
Honestly do I need to tell them next time I’m not going to convert so it’s pointless doing these other things.
It was genuine interest to start with but I feel a bit hounded now. Also a friend who is JW has said if you ever leave the faith you get ostracised. It’s all a bit intense and not like my church, or any Christian based church I been part of.

robinR Sun 19-Nov-17 17:09:16

It’s a cult. They are trying to lure you in and yes, it’s very difficult to leave and you would be ostracized.

Ca55andraMortmain Sun 19-Nov-17 17:10:01

It can be hard to get them to stop coming over once you've shown interest, as I've discovered. I never told them I wanted to go to their church etc but I was happy to have doorstep chat with them and told them from the start that I had no interest in converting, which they said was fine. They kept coming over every few weeks and eventually I felt I had learned all I wanted to know about JW so I told them that. They kept coming over. I eventually just phoned their Kingdom Hall and asked them not to send anyone else over. Good luck!

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Sun 19-Nov-17 17:17:23

You can phone the Kingdom Hall and ask them to stop visiting you. They are usually very good about it.

FloControl Sun 19-Nov-17 17:17:56

Don't touch them with a bargepole. Do not engage. Follow your own path.

Falconhoof1 Sun 19-Nov-17 17:21:59

JWs that I know are very nice people. But, they are told to spread the word (the truth, as they call it) and recruit new members. I imagine they don't get many people that want to know more so are just holding on to you until you tell them otherwise!

Shakirasma Sun 19-Nov-17 17:25:36

There is nothing positive to be achieved by attending.

It's a cult, and make no mistake it's nothing like Christianity. For a start they don't believe that Jesus was the son of god, a premise that is the entire basis of Christianity!

viques Sun 19-Nov-17 17:26:40

Tell them you've been shopping around on ReligionSupermarket *and you've found a better deal.

* other spiritual comparison sites are available.

Medwaymumoffour Sun 19-Nov-17 17:31:06

Good to hear that about about phoning the Kingdom Hall. They wanted to know when I was next at home, which I didn’t know so they said they would keep trying ( I was going out to a Christmas Fayre - how ironic!) so they said they would be back. I was walking around the fair, thinking how hard it is to have any kind of belief as it is as I’m a scientist ( at uni I was told you could do both as scientists can’t dismiss without proof) but what would I do at Christmas? Leave my kids for the month?
I’m going to ask if I can do the bible studies on line. If not I can’t find the time. Feels like I’m going to pressured to convert in the end

FellOutOfBed2wice Sun 19-Nov-17 17:36:28

It’s a cult. My aunt is one and it’s ruined her life. Awful bunch of people. Disengage.

FlowerPotMum Sun 19-Nov-17 17:36:39

What do you mean you're going to ask to do the Bible studies online?. A massive part of being a JW is 'saving' others and leading them to the 'truth'.
It's a cult, a load of tosh.. the more you interact and act interested the more they will cling on to you.
Don't answer the door.
Phone the kingdom hall and ask them to stop!
Please don't offer to do online courses.
Good luck.

formerbabe Sun 19-Nov-17 17:39:38

Gosh, sorry op, you sound very naive.

Why on earth did you express interest in it if you have no intention of converting? confused

Medwaymumoffour Sun 19-Nov-17 17:40:59

So who do they think Jesus is then? Ok that might be enough alone to deal break the bible studies aspect for me. I might just read up in the next week on their websites at home and I find it’s nothing like Christianity I only need to know the top level beliefs if it’s fundamentally that different, it’s not going to help me find god at all.
I don’t believe in taking the bible literally ( sorry I don’t want to offend anyone but Adam and Eve doesn’t sit with evolution nor does Noah’s ark) I believe it happened in some form but not literally.
I want to understand more as I haven’t looked at my bible in decades, but I was converted as a child ( by a friend) to Christianity. It felt real. I can’t in honesty see myself picking and choosing another religion.

Musicalmistress Sun 19-Nov-17 17:41:03

Agree with PP to phone the Kingdom Hall and ask very clearly to be removed from their visiting list. I’ve done this before & the lady I spoke to was very pleasant, put a stop to the visits, she did say if I had any further visits to ring back & ask for her by name but there were none.

Medwaymumoffour Sun 19-Nov-17 17:43:08

Yes I might be naive about JW but I’m not naive generally. I have two degrees. In stem subjects. Religion doesn’t sit easily with my fundamental belief in science so I wanted to know more - bible studies - it’s the same bible

OldWitch00 Sun 19-Nov-17 17:43:16

It’s really really not the same as any of the other mainstream Christian faiths....they offer commeradery and support one another strongly but their literal interpretation is naive and bizarre.

whoputthecatout Sun 19-Nov-17 17:45:03

Run for the hills OP.

PerpetualStudent Sun 19-Nov-17 17:45:56

It's a cult. I've also seen family members completely ruined by growing up as JW. Call them up and tell them to stop coming round and stay well clear

Medwaymumoffour Sun 19-Nov-17 17:48:33

Yes the literal aspect is about all I did know of JW. It’s a bit more accepted in the two churches I attend to live alongside evolution ( at surface level maybe but it’s relaxed that way). I told them that when they called. Maybe they are being polite until they convert me, that’s my thinking after today anyway.

ohnonotanothernewbie Sun 19-Nov-17 18:02:07

If you want to look at the Bible, and come from a broadly Christian viewpoint, why not try an Alpha course? They run all over the place and it's a 12 week course for people who have an interest in Christianity. It's commitment free (and cost free too!) I would agree the JW's are very much about pressure to convert and not very open to answering questions

letsgomaths Sun 19-Nov-17 18:04:46

Maybe they are being polite until they convert me, that’s my thinking after today anyway.

Almost certainly.

From what I've heard, there's a lot more to it than the leaflets they hand out, which you'd only know about until well past the point of no return.

Meanwhile, be aware of some of their more well-known ideals: not celebrating birthdays or Christmas, not accepting blood transfusions even if you might die.

Also from what I've heard, they do usually respect their "do not call" list, although they might appear once a year just in case. I suppose they don't want to give themselves too much bad publicity.

BeetrootTart Sun 19-Nov-17 18:06:57

I wouldn't be able to get past the no blood transfusions thing. Also don't agree with children being taken out crusading either.

mummyhaschangedhername Sun 19-Nov-17 18:11:38

Juts say firmly, sorry you are not interested. From what you have said it’s a bad match with your beliefs. They take the bible very literally, hence no Christmas, no blood etc.

RosaTheOwl Sun 19-Nov-17 18:13:29

OP I'm not seeing the issue
You were curious
Now you're not

What's the problem, why is it bothering you so much?
And what's this about leaving the kids for a month? Confused.

FellOutOfBed2wice Sun 19-Nov-17 18:15:40

They don’t believe in evolution so that might be a sticking point for you too. My ex-uncle (by marriages) father engaged me in a heated discussion when I was nine about how I was wrong about the world being millions of years old. He was arguing that the world was only 6000 years old and coming up with all this stuff about dinosaur bones being faked by God as a test of faith. I was only nine but even I knew that was a load of wank.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now