Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Where the fuck has my beef gone

(50 Posts)
MrsKoala Sun 19-Nov-17 16:35:40

I haven’t cooked brisket in a slow cooker before but we were going out for the day so thought I’d try it. Bought a 1.2kg peice and bunged it in on low at 10am then returned at 4pm to find a bit that would serve 2 people. I am feeding 3 adults and 2 preschoolers and a 1yo.

Hotdogs are now for the kids (they are chuffed) and a very small portion of meat and double Yorkshire’s, spuds and parsnips and an extra large portion of crumble and custard. I feel cheated sad I was so looking forward to beef.

It filled the slow cooker this morning!

PurplePillowCase Sun 19-Nov-17 16:38:40

that's shocking.
I have had that level of shrinkage with pork before, never with beef.
please tell me it was a supermarket 3 for 10£ type of meat.

PurplePillowCase Sun 19-Nov-17 16:39:11

looks tasty anyway at least.

Rikalaily Sun 19-Nov-17 16:45:35

Shred it and add some gravy to it, it will go a little further than slices.

MrsKoala Sun 19-Nov-17 16:46:22

It was Tesco, but cost about £9 I think.

MrsKoala Sun 19-Nov-17 16:49:02

Yes Rika I will.

Dh has just stood staring into the pot with a blank face saying, but, but, but. I don’t think he’s ready to face the truth yet. grin

Ilovetolurk Sun 19-Nov-17 16:51:38

Me? I’d take a photo and complain to tesco about the shrinkage

Worth a go at nine quid?

Hope it tastes good anyway

Ilovetolurk Sun 19-Nov-17 16:52:42

Oh yes you did take a photo

<scuttles off>

Thishatisnotmine Sun 19-Nov-17 16:58:05

I thought this was going to be a beef missing from the fridge thread. That is so sad! Lonely beef!

MrsKoala Sun 19-Nov-17 17:04:18

Dh could eat it all to himself! (Although that probably says more about dh than the beef).

I am waiting for the mumsnet chickeners to tell me they’d serve 6 and have leftovers! It does look tiny and lonely sitting in the pot. I’m rustling up swede mash now too.

ArchchancellorsHat Sun 19-Nov-17 17:07:21

Fuck's sake. WTF did they put in it to make it fill that pot earlier? That's shocking.

MrsKoala Sun 19-Nov-17 17:09:35

Honestly, I browned it in there this morning and it was hitting the sides as I tried to turn it. I thought we’d even have leftovers for lunch.

Walkacrossthesand Sun 19-Nov-17 17:14:28

I get the same with chicken breast, both supermarket and 'proper butchers'. Average 25-30% shrinkage - I weighed them before & after cooking. They must be injected with water, is all I can think.

Ltl1982 Sun 19-Nov-17 17:17:05

That’s shocking! Was it nice? Iv never tried it smile

StepAwayFromCake Sun 19-Nov-17 17:18:17

Ever since my experiences trying to fry meat bought there, I don't buy meat in Tesco. So much water came out of the meat that it boiled, rather than fried. Can't help wondering whether your brisket had been pumped full of water to inflate it.

But, also, I've never found brisket to be a particularly good slow cooker cut. It does always shrink for me (though never quite as much as yours did) and comes out a bit dry. Ox cheeks and beef short ribs are my favourite slow cooker cuts. Never dry and never shrink ridiculously.

TheFrendo Sun 19-Nov-17 17:18:21

What you have is left is concentrated flavour. We slow cook a lot and I expect 50% loss of volume.

Pigflewpast Sun 19-Nov-17 17:19:29

ilove that made me laugh far too much!

RB68 Sun 19-Nov-17 17:20:29

You need cheap cuts and braising steak really - but yes even with good meat with beef there is a lot of volume loss - mostly as its high in fat but also as there is water in there with some of the other meats.

AnUtterIdiot Sun 19-Nov-17 17:20:30

Actually I too have found that brisket comes out of the slow cooker dry. I wondered if I wasn't cooking it for long enough.

BumWad Sun 19-Nov-17 17:20:51

Get your meat at the butchers it’s definitely worth it smile

stinky81 Sun 19-Nov-17 17:22:52

Maybe shred it up and turn into a stew with the veg? Or pie filling if you can get hold of some jusroll? At least the flavour of the meat will go further that way.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 19-Nov-17 17:23:14

I'd weigh it and compare it to the weight you bought. That will tell you how much water came out. Then get to tesco and complain!

wowfudge Sun 19-Nov-17 17:24:34

That is scandalous - brisket used to be cheap, but it isn't these days. What does the packaging state? Anything about added water? I'd weigh the cooked meat and then contact Tesco customer services. If you are braising a piece of meat, you don't expect shrinkage like that.

I've checked and there should be around 25% shrinkage for beef.

CakeNinja Sun 19-Nov-17 17:31:15

Stop buying your meat in the supermarket!
I try and use my butcher and local farm shop as much as possible, the quality is infinitely better (so long as you do your research).
My nearest butcher is crap though, so much water and shrinkage it was ridiculously.
I have also bought meat from Donald Russell online and found their briskets don't shrink.

cleanandtidy Sun 19-Nov-17 17:36:30

You can return that to Tesco with no problem! Take it to the customer services desk and explain.
They will just need your receipt and/or barcode. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now