Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

3 course dinner on a £20 budget...

(37 Posts)
LostInTheTunnelOfGoats Sun 19-Nov-17 15:00:47

My friends and I are all a bit fucking broke atm, so we've decided to do a sort of budget Come Dine With Me. £20 limit. Has to be 3 courses, and there's 4 of us. I'm first up next weekend grin

What would you do? I was thinking a sort of pea and pesto soup thing for a starter. That's as far as I've got. One of my friends is vegetarian so it would have to be something that could sort of double up..

CoffeenoTea Sun 19-Nov-17 15:26:24

any veg soup to start
roasted veg lasagne with garlic bread and peas.
choc mousse.

mouseistrapped Sun 19-Nov-17 15:28:38

Puy lentil salad with Gorgonzola
Puff pastry tart - tomato, cheddar, gruyere
Mint tea and chocolates for pudding!

Just wouldn't spend on the pudding to be honest .,,,

EssentialHummus Sun 19-Nov-17 15:30:20

Veg soup to start, something like crumble for dessert, maybe a curry/Chinese type main?

mouseistrapped Sun 19-Nov-17 15:30:23

https://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/castelluccio-lentils-with-tomatoes-and-gorgonzola-shop

Ottolenghis actual recipe but you can vary it a bit and 'borrow' some herbs from a neighbour !

annandale Sun 19-Nov-17 15:34:31

Aubergine parmigiana with rocket on the side
Pears poached in red wine

annandale Sun 19-Nov-17 15:37:06

poached pear recipe I think the cost may need you to leave the vanilla pod out, unless you already have one.

drwitch Sun 19-Nov-17 15:38:44

Pavlova with puree made from frozen fruit for pudding. Home made pumpkin ravioli for main. Veg soup or salad to start

Be3Al2Si6O18 Sun 19-Nov-17 15:41:55

Starter: French stick, cut into 45 degree slices, top with philadelphia, then sundried tomatoes in olive oil. £3.70 to £4.00 depending on supermarket.

Main: Roast chicken and steamed veg, new, jacket or roast potatoes. Whole cost including whole fresh chicken about £7.00 to £7.50 depending on supermarket or local street market for the veg.

Pudding: 1kg plums (buy in advance and ripen in window), pack of peeled almonds toasted or not, large pack of crumble mix. £4.00 to £4.25 depending on supermarket.

Wine: Bottle of Wollemi Shiraz, £4.35 at Sainsbury's.

I wold be amazed if you could NOT present this for under £20 assuming you have oil, butter, seasoning etc.

A tasty and filling meal and with the chicken carcass, you have the soup starter for the next meal so you could share that costs and have a bit left over to buy ready made stuffing for the chicken.

Be3Al2Si6O18 Sun 19-Nov-17 15:45:01

Ah, didnt read the vegetarian bit sorry.

That's the wine out then!

Goats cheese and red onion caramalised tarts with her veg grilled to compliment.

BarbaraofSevillle Sun 19-Nov-17 15:45:58

Get two M&S dine in for £10 meal deals and make veg soup for a starter. Will be slightly over £20 once you've done the soup but you will have 2 bottles of wine. Choose the sides carefully to make it a bit more interesting. Eg get a tray of roast veg and garlic bread to go with whatever main you choose.

PurpleDaisies Sun 19-Nov-17 15:48:58

Puy lentil salad with Gorgonzola

Gorgonzola isn’t vegetarian. Lots of pesto isn’t vegetarian because of the Parmesan. If you’ve got a vegetarian coming who takes it seriously, make sure you check your cheeses carefully.

I’d do Indian. Starter-onion bhajis (easy to make) with pickles and raita.

Main-pea and paneer curry, spinach and coconut Dahl, rice, Jamie Oliver flatbreads (add cumin, coriander and garlic salt to make them like naan-you can make in advance and reheat) plus popadums if budget allows

Pudding-something like a lemon cheesecake

SandysMam Sun 19-Nov-17 15:49:43

I always find Mexican goes down well...nachos (cheap tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, salsa made with tomatoes, red onion and coriander), Veggie chilli with value beans, wraps, rice and guacamole, followed by dark chocolate truffles...cream, melted dark chocolate left to chill then rolled into balls and rolled in cocoa powder. You would probably even have change for some Mexican beers to go with that!
Get whatever you can in the value range, but spend on good tomatoes for the salsa and nice ripe advacados. Cheap chocolate is fine for the truffles.
Hope you have fun, sounds like a great thing to do.

AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 19-Nov-17 15:50:23

Stick with your soup
Red onion and tart tatin with honey roasted carrots, roasted baby potatoes and broccoli for main
Peach and pineapple crumble (tinned fruit) with vanilla ice cream for pud.
Well under £20 so chuck in a bottle of wine

CosmicCanary Sun 19-Nov-17 15:53:41

French onion soup with cheese crouton.

Spinich and feta canelloni (add chicken for none veggies) with ratatoullie.

Eton mess.

I have made this for 6 and it came to £23.50 in total.

Boredomismyenemy Sun 19-Nov-17 16:01:13

I'd go fully veggie for ease. Pea and pesto soup sounds lovely-make sure the pesto is vegetarian though! You could make croutons using up dregs of a loaf of bread.
Main course I'd do a tart using a ready roll pastry, make a tomato topping base by reducing down a can of tomatoes with garlic and herbs. Top with courgettes, asparagus and mozzarella. Serve with new potatoes with rocket salad and baby plum tomatoes dressed in olive oil.
For dessert I'd use tinned pears to make a crumble. I add ginger to the crumble topping which is really nice and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Have fun, it sounds great!

margaritasbythesea Sun 19-Nov-17 16:01:23

Great thread.

I might do tomato or watercress soup for starters.

Fresh pasta WIth a Sicilian style tomate sauce (WIth chunky onion aubergine and courgette).

Chocolate mousse maybe WIth caramelo sauce.

schoolgaterebel Sun 19-Nov-17 16:01:33

Guest is vegetarian (not vegan) so cheese won't be a problem.

PurpleDaisies Sun 19-Nov-17 16:07:05

Guest is vegetarian (not vegan) so cheese won't be a problem.

This is misleading. Some cheese is made with animal rennet so not vegetarian. Lots of pesto contains Parmesan so often isn’t suitable for vegetarians. Please check the labels!

LostInTheTunnelOfGoats Sun 19-Nov-17 16:16:57

Oof, I didn't even think of the parmesan! Some amazing ideas here. I'm now veering towards a Mexican feast, because I remembered I make an amazing four bean chilli, if I say so myself

So I'm thinking nachos to begin with, followed by the chilli, rice, tortilla wraps, guac, a proper fresh salsa, BBQ ribs for the non veggies, and spiced chocolate mousse for pudding?

Jaimx86 Sun 19-Nov-17 16:22:10

Some very cheap recipe ideas from Jack Munro on here cookingonabootstrap.com

SandysMam Sun 19-Nov-17 16:33:02

I find ribs quite expensive these days! You could do some shredded chicken instead (thighs slow roasted with spices then pull the meat off with forks).
Spiced chocolate mousse sounds fab!

CantSleepClownsWillEatMe Sun 19-Nov-17 16:36:30

I find nachos can be quite heavy if followed by a filling dish like chilli with rice etc although possibly my problem is I just can't stop eating the damn things! A friend made bell pepper nachos as a starter a while back, with the pepper chunks used in place of nachos for scooping. It was really tasty and still left room for the heavier main course.

MrsMotherHen Sun 19-Nov-17 16:53:21

Mexican sounds amazing.

Nessalina Sun 19-Nov-17 16:57:28

I have an amazing recipe for Jamaica Ginger Cake pudding - I'll post it when I get home. All it takes is a Jamaica ginger cake (£1.30), tin of apricot halves (65p), eggs (£1.30), sugar (£1.10), milk (50p), & custard powder (85p). So that's £5.70. And that's if you're not unit pricing (so you won't use all the eggs and sugar or custard powder, or you might have them in, so cost is lower really IYSWIM)
It's proper gorgeous, it's like a spicy fruity custardy cakiness on the bottom with baked meringue on the top!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now