Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Just out of interest how many people only got 1 present from santa?

(65 Posts)
ILoveMyMonkey Sun 19-Nov-17 13:55:18

So as the title suggests really, how many people on here only ever got 1 present (big or small) from the big man in red?

I'm interested to know because it's only on mumsnet where I have discovered the different way people do it - i.e. all presents from santa, all mum and dad presents bought and wrapped by santa but paid for by mum and dad, huge large main present from santa, big present and stocking from santa.

No-one on here seems to mention just 1 present being received by santa which is what all the film's and books suggest and what both my DH and I experienced as children and we now do for our DS. I guess I just assumed everyone did it this way too.

So last year DS received a Tonka truck from santa (fairly big), the year before it was a Thomas the tank engine wooden train (fairly small), and before that he was too young to worry know about it.

So how many of you do it my way?

MayFayner Sun 19-Nov-17 14:01:31

As a child I got one present from Santa, and one from my parents. We didn't have stockings in our house.

For DD (now 16) she used to get one big present from Santa and a Santa stocking. Then she would get a fairly big present from me too.

DS1 (3) and DS2 (21mo) no set pattern yet but I'm going to try to stick to similar to DD. It probably won't happen though, as DH is a crazy over-buyer and buys them far too much in general, let alone Christmas.

Idontmeanto Sun 19-Nov-17 14:03:18

Mine get a stocking of tat from Santa and a big present from parents.

SingingSeuss Sun 19-Nov-17 14:03:40

Stockings only from Santa here containing chocs, and a few small toys.

Mumofboys89 Sun 19-Nov-17 14:08:46

This is the first year I've had to think about it as ds has been too small to care so all gifts were just wrapped and left unlabelled.

I think we will do stocking and one gift from Santa then the rest from us.

As a kid everything came from Santa and I never questioned why I got gifts from other relatives but not my parents

MrsStinkey Sun 19-Nov-17 14:10:11

DD1 (6) gets things from her santa list from santa plus a stocking then some presents from us. DD2 (2) gets a couple of presents and a stocking from Santa and then some presents from us. She'll get presents from her santa list when she's old enough. That's how it was for me growing up as well.

Rheged Sun 19-Nov-17 14:11:17

We had one large gift from Santa and then a stocking (was actually a pillow case) full of smaller gifts from him as well.

Rheged Sun 19-Nov-17 14:12:00

We also had presents from family but these were separate.

brieandcrackers Sun 19-Nov-17 14:12:45

As children we got our main present from Father Christmas and everything else from our parents - from about 15 ish our main present was included in parental gifts and our stockings would be from him.

(Obviously we knew the truth by then but I was determined to keep the magic of Christmas alive grin)

BelafonteRavenclaw Sun 19-Nov-17 14:14:37

As a child everything came from the big man. I never questioned why everyone except my parents bought me a gift.

With my kids now they get their stocking and 3 gifts from Father Christmas. The rest come from us. It’s normally the ‘bigger’/more bloody difficult to get ones that come from Santa. It’s very handy when we have parcels delivered as they know we buy gifts for them as well as our family. Thankfully they’ve never gone looking for them.

disneydatknee Sun 19-Nov-17 14:15:45

We tell the kids that Santa gets the stocking presents and we give him all of our presents to look after until Christmas Day (to stop the kids searching the house for them). My 8 yo is convinced we met Santa at the airport on the way back from holiday and gave him our presents then grin

raisinsarenottheonlyfruit Sun 19-Nov-17 14:18:22

Main presents from real people. Stockings from Santa with lots of smaller presents.

Or - that's what happens when we visit my side of the family at Christmas anyway.

Every other year we visit DP's family for Christmas and then both the stocking AND under tree presents are from Santa.

Funnily enough the DC have never pointed out the discrepancy. This leads me to conclude that it doesn't really matter, us adults get too hung up on the detail!

notacooldad Sun 19-Nov-17 14:19:39

As a kid I got tons of presents! I'm in my 50s now but me and my siblings had come our own corner of the room which was the same every year. We had a big sack each. The sack would be full and the big presents would be outside the sack wrapped up as well!
There was also a present for the house! The most exciting one was the year one of the the first TV console games came out. I think it was like a video version of tennis!

WunWun Sun 19-Nov-17 14:22:05

I think we got a stocking and a couple of presents under the tree from Father Christmas and the rest from our parents.

DD just gets a stocking from FC.

coldcanary Sun 19-Nov-17 14:24:33

We’ve never done presents from Santa, he’s the delivery man! It comes from the year our eldest was old enough to understand that the presents he got cost actual money (we had 2 horrendous years where we were seriously broke and came very close to losing the house let alone being able to buy what we wanted to get him) and that his family chose his presents from his list and sent them off. It just carried on with his siblings.
I don’t remember having presents off Santa as a child myself but DH’s family did one present per child from him.

Ethelswith Sun 19-Nov-17 14:33:44

No presents from Santa, just the on-the-bed stocking

demirose87 Sun 19-Nov-17 14:41:16

My parents got us a lot of presents each and said it was all from Santa. We would get a sofa each filled with presents for us. I've carried on doing this for my children. We don't have a lot of money but I put money away each month and save so am able to do it and they love it.

Derekmorganwasinmybed Sun 19-Nov-17 14:43:53

As a child everything was from santa,I did the same with my children when they where younger

TheFallenMadonna Sun 19-Nov-17 14:45:43

Stockings from Father Christmas, opened in the morning. Only small things. My DC only asked for small things in their letters, which they did get. Presents from us and everyone else, under the tree and opened after lunch. Amalgamation of what DH and I did as children

DimplesToadfoot Sun 19-Nov-17 14:47:20

I had quite a few years as a child where I didn't get one present .. then 1 year I got an empty bottle of bubble bath, another year a suitcase that was obviously used and had something spilt in it, which left me such a huge complex ... the thought of sitting down and having to write thank you letters still makes me wince .. shudders

Fffion Sun 19-Nov-17 14:48:17

We have never done Santa ever, so the Santa count would be zero for us.

MaisyPops Sun 19-Nov-17 14:48:20

We had a stocking of little things e.g. cassette (usually that year's NOW! one), chocolate etc from santa and the rest were from family.

I'll do the same when we finally manage to have a baby of our own.

I don't like the idea of kids thinking santa likes them/their friends less because he got them more/less presents. It's why I also don't like santa being used as a behaviour management tool. I've heard toi many smaller kids (before i went to secondary) who believed your presents were tied to behaviour. I alwats felt for the lovely kids who didn't have much at home when others were talking about all their presebts because 'mum says santa think I've been nice this year'.

DimplesToadfoot Sun 19-Nov-17 14:48:21

Sorry meant to add, "writing the thank you letters to Santa" ...

Mischa123 Sun 19-Nov-17 14:48:25

My DD’s get one present from Santa from their list. The rest come from us. He also doesn’t buy very expensive things

DontTouchTheCharredCrotch Sun 19-Nov-17 14:54:13

My ds has a stocking with sweets in and then one present to unwrap + card. Works for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now