Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is this a crazy idea for bringing a newborn baby home?

(207 Posts)
allthecheese Sun 19-Nov-17 12:55:57

I am due to have my first baby in the second week of Jan. She'll be ELCS at a hospital 2 miles walk (or a short bus/tube journey) away.

We are central London based so won't ever need a car, and I'm a bit resentful about buying a car seat to use once to get her home.

Is it crazy for me to get a taxi and my DH to walk (or bus or underground) her home in her pram? It would only take him 15 mins tops on the bus/underground.

CakeNinja Sun 19-Nov-17 12:57:11

Sounds logical to me given your circumstances.

PixieMiss Sun 19-Nov-17 12:57:59

I don't think it's crazy at all!

Wrap him/her up warm and off you go! Perhaps have someone to meet you at home if you are loading your taxi with bags etc?

CakeNinja Sun 19-Nov-17 12:58:00

Although I'm pretty impressed with your dh, walking 7.5 minute miles! That's faster than I run a mile grin

TotemIcePole Sun 19-Nov-17 12:58:34

What about a sling?
Or borrow a car seat.

purplecorkheart Sun 19-Nov-17 12:58:42

Better check with the hospital. Our local one goes down to the car with you (drop off point) to male sure the car seat is installed correctly.

JsOtherHalf Sun 19-Nov-17 12:59:51

Borrow a car seat.
Ask on Facebook.

Hope it all goes well grin

ChocolateDoll Sun 19-Nov-17 13:00:05

It doesn't sound crazy at all.

However, do not underestimate how emotional you're likely to feel at this point. The thoughtof walking out of hospital, and somebody taking my brand new baby away from me and on the underground without me would have had me in tears.

You're also likely to be needing significant help getting in and out of the taxi, carrying bags etc....after a CS.

Ifyouseeapolarbear Sun 19-Nov-17 13:00:19

Can you borrow a car seat for the journey or buy a really cheap one? It would be handy to have one anyway for taxi journeys etc. I would happily lend mine to a friend to get their newborn home. You might find you don't want to be away from your new baby/ the tube might be too overwhelming for your dp to do on his own with a crying tiny baby.

SlartyFarkBarstard Sun 19-Nov-17 13:00:24

Can you borrow a car seat for the journey home? Then you can call go in the Taxi.

CakeNinja Sun 19-Nov-17 13:00:37

Oh I'm so disappointed, just re read and saw he isn't walking it in 15 minutes sad

CuppaSarah Sun 19-Nov-17 13:01:34

If you're central enough to be near tube stations you surely aren't the only parents to be in this situation, just ask the midwife at your next appointment what people do.

AnonEvent Sun 19-Nov-17 13:01:39

You can put a pushchair/pram in the back of a black cab. In the same position as a wheel chair would go, there are straps.

AnonEvent Sun 19-Nov-17 13:02:25

Ps we just bought a car seat (same location and driving status as you), it was useful, only five or six times, but useful none the less.

Offyougo Sun 19-Nov-17 13:02:51

You don’t need a car seat in a taxi

JsOtherHalf Sun 19-Nov-17 13:02:54

Or buy a cheap one?
www.kiddicare.com/c/Birth_to_12_Months_Car_Seats.htm?sorts=1

MadameJosephine Sun 19-Nov-17 13:04:23

I can’t see a problem. Some hospitals might check your car seat is properly installed but that’s only if you are planning to use one. Taking your baby home in a sling or pram is absolutely fine

soundsystem Sun 19-Nov-17 13:05:04

Your plan sounds perfectly sensible to me! I had home births (appreciate this isn't an option if you're having a CS) but that was our plan if I'd ended up going in. Also in London and know quite a few people who've done this. Good luck!

Ausparent Sun 19-Nov-17 13:07:23

Sounds perfectly sensible.

I would suggest having another person to travel with you if possible, just in case you need help.

piggleiggle83949 Sun 19-Nov-17 13:15:14

Can’t imagine why the hospital would take it upon themselves to check a car seat is fitted correctly, it’s upto the parents to get advice from car seat retailers and ensure they learn what to do surely?

The hospital didn’t check our car with either of our babies.

If you use a black cab you could probably fit the pram in the wheelchair space. But I certainly wouldn’t be in tears over a short journey home without the baby, you gotta do what you gotta do.

BendingSpoons Sun 19-Nov-17 13:18:52

We called a taxi firm who have baby seats and they picked us up. We have a car and seat but there is no parking at our hospital and it was much easier than DH going home to get the seat. Just call a couple of local minicab firms beforehand and ask them. The hospital didn't check how we left.

DB22 Sun 19-Nov-17 13:19:57

Sounds fine but I would go for a sling over a pram as it's easier to deal with, particularly on the escalator. Or borrow a car seat.

Lenny1980 Sun 19-Nov-17 13:31:23

I wouldn't recommend a black cab, they are bumpy. My car journey home after an EMCS was very painful which I hadn't expected at all. Go for the smoothest taxi you can find!

Even if you don have a car I would recommend getting a car seat. You can wheel a pram straight into a black cab which is brilliant at times. But won't you ever take an uber, or get a taxi when you go on holiday anywhere?

GoodMorning1 Sun 19-Nov-17 13:32:07

Legally you don't need a car seat in a taxi - the baby could be in your arms/a sling, but we've always taken our own car seat in a taxi as it's safer.

We don't own a car but have found having our own cheap car seat to be useful - to occassionally go in friend's cars and, more importantly , to get DD to our emergency walk in centre a few times when she's been ill - we've simply called a taxi and taken her in the car seat in the taxi.

My other toptip on this is we have an envelope in a drawer in our house with enough cash inside to get a taxi to the nearest A&E (it's quite a long way and we wouldn't necessarily have that much cash in our purses). We never touch that money unless we have to get a taxi to the hospital.

user1477249785 Sun 19-Nov-17 13:35:00

We walked home from London hospital after having both of my children. They are totally used to it in London and no one will bat an eye lid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now