Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How much is too much for parents going out?

(62 Posts)
SMJYellow Sun 19-Nov-17 11:49:48

I don't want to go into the ins and outs of all this.

Anyways, I'm a childminder. The conditions, hours, work load and pay were all degraded over time. I hope to make changes and seek out new work.

I couple I work for, they are very fond of going out.

I think it's probably important for parents to make time for themselves and go out. The couple I work for, I think their outings are excessive.

It isn't a few hours on a Saturday night to go out to the cinema or for a meal to relax and unwind. Their outings are complete weekends away from Saturday morning til Sunday evening. There was even one weekend it was from Friday morning. These weekends are for weddings, gigs, matches, balls.

Once in a blue moon wouldn't be so bad but these weekends are a regular thing, at least once a month.
What do you think? Is this excessive? Should this be a cause for concern and perhaps for social services? Like, what on earth could be so wrong with their children they feel the need to escape away from them so often and for so long.

ReturnOfTheMackYesItIs Sun 19-Nov-17 11:51:39

You don't really think it's a case for social services if parents go away for 48 hrs once a month now do you?

Come on.

pigeondujour Sun 19-Nov-17 11:51:53

Should this be a cause for concern and perhaps for social services?

You are joking?

Justbookedasummmerholiday Sun 19-Nov-17 11:52:13

Are you a registered cm? Are you taking good care of the dc?

AgentProvocateur Sun 19-Nov-17 11:52:17

hmm If their child is looked after, SS really won’t be interested in parents that go away for a weekend every month.

MyHandsAreHighMyFeetAreLow Sun 19-Nov-17 11:52:44

So you want to report them for having too many weekends away and not enough weekends with their children? So long as the children are adequately looked after while they're away then SS won't give a shiny shite. Maybe you should do the same?

PantPlot Sun 19-Nov-17 11:53:51

Definitely a case for SS if they are going away and leaving their children unattended. However if they're arranging proper childcare, then obviously that's not an issue.

You might not like that they do it, but that's immaterial.

Brokenbiscuit Sun 19-Nov-17 11:53:59

Personally, I wouldn't choose to spend that much time away from my child, but you are being utterly ridiculous to suggest that social services would be remotely interested in this - unless, of course, you are saying that there is inadequate care for the children when they go away.

You sound very judgemental. I don't think I would want you looking after my child with that attitude. Perhaps you're right that it's time to find alternative employment.

hmmwhatatodo Sun 19-Nov-17 11:54:34

Do you think they are avoiding looking after their child? Is the child with you full time throughout the week? I get where you are coming from. The money must be good though!

HerOtherHalf Sun 19-Nov-17 11:54:53

We'd better make social services aware of all those parents that send their kids off to boarding school as well. How very dare they.

NC4now Sun 19-Nov-17 11:55:58

Social services????
They just enjoy a weekend away once a month. As long as the kids are well looked after by whoever they are with I don’t see the problem.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 19-Nov-17 11:57:07

I think it’s best you do seek out new employment

MrsJayy Sun 19-Nov-17 11:57:22

Are you serious you think parents going away over night needs social services jesus wept. I didn't realise childminders did over night work either I assuming they pay you your rate

SMJYellow Sun 19-Nov-17 11:59:58

Once a month wouldn't be bad at all. These outings are regular and at least once a month.

pigeondujour Sun 19-Nov-17 12:01:59

Please let us know what social services say when you call them.

sparechange Sun 19-Nov-17 12:02:23

Social services? shock

Assuming there is something ‘wrong’ with their children is a very, very warped assumption to leap to in response to parents going to weddings etc

Amyxmarie Sun 19-Nov-17 12:03:33

I think you are over-reacting. Social services are there to help children who are in danger. A couple enjoying a weekend away is NOT a bad thing. Some people choose not to be away from their children for that long yes, different people have different parenting ideas. I mean what's the big deal, you're getting paid aren't you? hmm I certainly wouldn't want you looking after my children if you thought that of me. Perhaps it is time you found another job.

MrsJayy Sun 19-Nov-17 12:06:58

Are the children not being cared for ? are you concerned about them when you are looking after them, or are you just bemused at the parents going out over nightbecause if it is the latter then ss will not take you seriously

Migraleve Sun 19-Nov-17 12:07:52

It's things like this that really make me wonder what planet others are on.

Heratnumber7 Sun 19-Nov-17 12:08:53

Some families send their children to boarding school for months at a time.

Would you report them too?

LovingLola Sun 19-Nov-17 12:08:56

You have been posting for months about this family. Have you not been able to get alternative employment yet??

SleepingStandingUp Sun 19-Nov-17 12:09:06

So where are the kids when they're away and how old are they?

GinYummy Sun 19-Nov-17 12:12:52

Are you a Ofsted registered childminder who cares for children during registered hours in your home? If so they are not your employers and you say "sorry I am not available for those hours".

BewareOfDragons Sun 19-Nov-17 12:13:19

You can't be serious, OP. hmm

brasty Sun 19-Nov-17 12:15:49

Phone SS. They will probably thank you for reporting it, and then laugh with their colleagues about it.

As long as you are looking after them properly, SS will not care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now