Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

LBD for the shorter, fuller figured lady

(14 Posts)
DreamADream Sat 18-Nov-17 18:05:11

Do they exist? Lookin for a dress for my xmas party with no luck. I'm 5'1 with a typical hourglass figure and unfortunately am slap bang between a 10 and a 12, so 10s are snug and 12s are that teeny bit too big.

I tend to wear retro style dresses, lindy bop, run & fly, pretty kitty etc. Also have dresses from billie & blossom which fit really nicely.

Am I better off sticking with the retro type stuff? It must be a plain black dress due to other elements of the outfit thqt are already prearranged.

Ffs I hate clothes shopping, it always makes me feel terrible about myself!

Allergictoironing Sat 18-Nov-17 18:57:33

Still on the Vintage front, but LadyV has plenty in plain black at present here

WazFlimFlam Sat 18-Nov-17 19:00:33

Wolf and Badger have a few. Not cheap but v nice.

DreamADream Sun 19-Nov-17 03:42:54

Thanks! Think it's going to have to be a vintage style one again. I think my least favourite thing about being short is how easily you just look fat sad

Whatthefoxgoingon Sun 19-Nov-17 03:50:46

I get around this problem by actually being fat and enjoying every bit of cake grin

DreamADream Sun 19-Nov-17 09:30:33

Haha I do quite often wonder whether to just give in and become properly fat, it's this half way stage I hate. And god think of all the guilt free chips and crisps I could eat :grin:

GlubGlubGlub Sun 19-Nov-17 09:40:36

Lol at Size 10 being “fuller figure”

Tinycitrus Sun 19-Nov-17 09:40:51

Oasis has a black velvet faux wrap dress that might be ok - I’m 5ft 2ins and between 10 and 12 and ‘curvy’ (have also considered ‘the fuck it,let’s just get really fat’ option)

Anyway here it is: oasis dress

DreamADream Sun 19-Nov-17 09:50:19

Glub- at 5'1 with boobs and hips it does make you appear to have a fuller figure! Were I say 5'5 with the same measurements I'd look a lot slimmer, but every lb shows at this height unfortunately!

DreamADream Sun 19-Nov-17 09:52:10

I love that dress, I think that's the kind of thing I'll end up with. Only problem is it'll be rather chesty. Christ I'm just going to not eat between now and then!

Lucked Sun 19-Nov-17 09:55:15

Buy a 12 and get it taken in at the waist, take it to the dressmaker before you remove the tags in case they say it isn't possible but most things can be altered.

MadameJosephine Sun 19-Nov-17 10:00:06

This one is lovely and sounds like you’ll be a knockout in it

ladyvlondon.com/Black-Ursula-Dress/#.WhFVRaKnzYU

GallicosCats Sun 19-Nov-17 15:02:34

What I like about tinycitrus's link above is that they ask for your details so that they can give you an idea of the fit. Bust size and cup size are really important. If you're short and g

GallicosCats Sun 19-Nov-17 15:08:14

....What?? Some gremlin in my touch screen posted that, not me!

As I was saying, if you're short and busty it's even more important to get a decent bra because big boobs can make you look fat if they're not properly supported or if they're trussed up in ill-fitting garments. Cheap and nasty dresses tend on the whole to be made for walking clothes hangers, aka the straight up and down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now