Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Best and worst ever secret Santa gifts.

(97 Posts)
littlemisspuddington Sat 18-Nov-17 10:27:21

I know there's probably hundreds of these but I'm hoping you'll humour me as last year's secret Santa gift was an epic fail!confused

So as the title says, what's your best and worst ever secret Santa gift?

I'll start off:

Best: a gorgeous illustrated cupcake book. I bake and made several of the recipes.

Worst: white wine two years running despite it being extremely common knowledge that I don't touch it following an embarrassing incident in a work night out.

PanPanPanPing Sat 18-Nov-17 10:49:04

I can't remember my best, but I always love a nice 'smelly' for the bath!

Worst was (I was single at the time, doing some casual dating but none of my dates had become 'serious') I got a novelty box of plant seeds - the picture and wording on the front was 'Grow Your Own Boyfriend'. Ouch.

littlemisspuddington Sat 18-Nov-17 11:01:43

Ouch!! grinthat's the problem with Jokey secret Santa gifts, they can go horribly wrong if you don't quite get it right. Oh dear!

Fekko Sat 18-Nov-17 11:03:00

Someone I know got a leather thong. From another bloke.

VladmirsPoutine Sat 18-Nov-17 11:05:19

Best was a Lush bath set; twas slightly pricey but very much appreciated the bath bombs.

Worst was a joke condom set (later discovered it was from Bob from accounts) whom I think I'd exchanged about 5 words with over the course of 7 months so why he thought it was an appropriate gift still evades me confused

PanPanPanPing Sat 18-Nov-17 11:05:28

I didn't react to her (found out who it was), I just laughed - but it went straight in the bin.

NerrSnerr Sat 18-Nov-17 11:05:53

My best was probably a couple of bottles of cider and a mug for work.

Worst was a manicure set that was clearly bought as an extra present as it was given last and not labelled so I had clearly been forgotten about.

TillyTheTiger Sat 18-Nov-17 11:05:56

Best: Bottle of rioja. But I was pregnant at the time (hadn't announced it at work yet) so couldn't actually drink it.
Worst: Sequinned nipple tassels. We opened them at the staff Christmas meal, everyone else got normal presents. Eventually worked out they were bought by my boss which I think made it worse.

AfterSchoolWorry Sat 18-Nov-17 11:05:59

Best was a salt crystal lamp. The worst are candles, I have asthma so I can't enjoy them.

lurkingfromhome Sat 18-Nov-17 11:23:39

Best: home made Christmas biscuits in a pretty biscuit tin (that I still use).

Worst: a pack of plastic spiders. Sigh. Am not a 7 year old boy. Just stop it with the crap plastic shit that creates more waste to deal with.

EastMidsGPs Sat 18-Nov-17 12:46:56

Worst ... too numerous to mention .. but it was probably the 'dress like a hippy combo'

Wig, huge glasses and a plastic peace sign medallion - what a waste of money and why????

littlemisspuddington Sat 18-Nov-17 19:20:38

Some good ones, alcohol always seems to go down well, if you know what they drink!!
I love the idea of home made biscuits in a nice tin!

littlemisspuddington Sat 18-Nov-17 19:21:51

Why would you ever buy nipple tassels or novelty condoms though? confusedgrin

EvilDoctorBallerinaRoastDuck Sat 18-Nov-17 19:29:21

I've only ever been in one secret Santa and can't remember what I got! We were all pagans, so probably candles or incense! 😂

bear28 Sat 18-Nov-17 19:33:25

I've been quite lucky and had lovely secret santa gifts, nice bottles of wine/champagne, bath sets. My worst and best one was from one of my best friends, be bought me crotchless pants! obviously ordered them from china!, i went to put them on over my jeans when i got them and i couldn't get them up past my thigh! (i was a size 10 then!). but still, a funny bad gift!

littlemisspuddington Sat 18-Nov-17 19:55:13

Somebody last year got an inflatable Zimmer frame.... She thought it was funny though.
Lol talk about adding insult to injury though Bear!!

BillywilliamV Sat 18-Nov-17 19:59:02

Worst was 10 completely random things from the pound shop, I know who gave them to me and I’ve been waiting 6 years to get my revenge

Millie2013 Sat 18-Nov-17 20:10:18

Best = cheese

I have only taken part in one, so yet to have a worst

Belleoftheball8 Sat 18-Nov-17 20:18:26

Worst was some sort of Nivea type style set but not Nivea such a naff gift never did secret Santa after that

Best was a bottle of baileys love the stuff

littlemisspuddington Sat 18-Nov-17 20:29:46

We have a £5 limit which doesn't actually buy much these days does it??

pleasewelcometherealme Sat 18-Nov-17 20:31:14

Only ever done secret santa at work in a large office, just for context. All have to be opened in the office one at a time in front of everyone else with a bit of a commentary from the one person in the office who actually enjoys this shit

Best- Christmas tree/santa shaped bath bombs (from a local rather nice shop). I can't actually use them myself due to allergies but DD was over the moon with them.
Worst- a small pot of 'afradisiac' (excuse spelling) powder. I suspect it was intended to be funny either because I'm sure the person who bought it thinks I'm frumpy and middle aged, or possibly because I'd just come back from my second maternity leave.

plimsolls Sat 18-Nov-17 20:32:08

Best for me are single presents that take the full £ amount, like a nice scented candle, a bubble bath or chocolates or something. I got some nice socks once which I appreciated a lot!

Worst are novelty plastic/Christmas gifts. I think some people buy something to entertain at the work Christmas party (like deely boppers or an elf hat) but I hate that kind of thing. Although someone did get a novelty book of mix and match insults once which was quite funny.

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Sat 18-Nov-17 20:32:40

I really dislike ‘novelty’ gifts. You get a laugh and then they go in the bin the second the giver is out of sight.

Best was a £10 amazon gift card and worst (this will out me as as terrible snob!) was a gift set of 9 nail polishes. It was well thought of, as I enjoy doing my nails, but I’m particular about what brands I use and the colours that I buy.

bobbyshafter Sat 18-Nov-17 21:41:47

Worst was an edible thong.

Best was a soppy movie, doritos,dip and tissues

AgathaRaisonDetra Sat 18-Nov-17 21:42:44

Caneston Thrush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now