Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Wisdom teeth / dry socket

(27 Posts)
NamasteNiki Fri 17-Nov-17 21:51:38

Had two wisdom teeth out on Monday. I had an incision and stitches.

From yesterday the pain has become increasingly worse. The stitches are still there. Hard lump where they are though. The pain is radiating into my neck and my face and cheekbone and feels all swollen. I tried to see into my mouth which is hard with all the swelling.

I can see what looks like a deep hole at the extraction site.

Possible I have dry socket?

gonnabreakmyrustycage Fri 17-Nov-17 21:54:50

From what i can remember from when I had a molar extracted you should have white stuff in there. If your mouth is that swollen I'd go to the emergency dentist as you may need antibiotics.

HerRoyalNotness Fri 17-Nov-17 21:56:28

You'll know if it's dry socket as pain killers don't touch the pain. You could try wadding some cotton wool on it, if pain is relieved you've got dry socket. Go to dentist and get it Packed properly, pain will go.

AhAgain Fri 17-Nov-17 21:56:34

Firstly, don’t poke around the extraction sites: if you don’t have dry socket, and you poke around, you soon will do sad.

What does the site look like? Dark red type deep hole? If it is, then you probably still have the clot and are probably ok.

Are you on painkillers? Still have the pain after taking them?

Have you hit an emergency/“out of hours” number for your dentist? If not, try their regular number - should give you an “out of hours” number - might be worth a chat.

Solasum Fri 17-Nov-17 21:59:23

That is just the right amount of time for dry socket to develop. Much sympathy!

Emergency dentist ASAP. It probably needs to be packed with gauze and clove oil. Plus antibiotics.

It was worse pain than childbirth for me.

NamasteNiki Fri 17-Nov-17 22:04:38

I have been using ibuprofen and paracetamol regularly since.

I had to upgrade to cocodamol and then upgrade again to nurofen plus today which has nearly 13mg of codeine per tablet aa well as 200mg nurofen each. I took two if those about 8:30pm and just now had to take 2 paracetamol as it had barely touched it.

I really cant see the extraction site. I cant open my mouth much as it hurts. I have stitches on the inside of my cheek and swelling around that which is obscuring the extraction site. I really cant see it.

Loungingbutnotforlong Fri 17-Nov-17 22:18:16

Major sympathy- sounds v painful. When I had dry socket I needed prescription pain meds and daily packing of the extraction area.
Try not to poke around or spend too long trying to ‘look’- you’ll be straining the muscles and hurting your face even more.
Hope you feel better soon

NamasteNiki Fri 17-Nov-17 22:21:33

I dont have a car so pointless calling out of hours dentist now as I cant go to them.

Now Ive taken paracetamol its calming down alot.

But thats 400mg of ibuprofen, 26mg of codeine and 1000mg of paracetamol to get it to stop throbbing and for my face, teeth and jaw bone to stop aching. Fuck.

I will call tomorrow.

NamasteNiki Fri 17-Nov-17 22:22:29

Shall I still do the salt water rinses?

Patsypedalo Fri 17-Nov-17 22:24:17

Awful awful pain that can’t be touched by over the counter meds? Ring the emergency dental number, they might be able to see you tonight (fairly sure mine was 24hr service, but was a bit delirious with pain).

They pack it with clove, it helps really quickly.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 17-Nov-17 22:25:59

Yes do the salt water rinses frequently, and see them asap. They need to pack it regularly til the hole closes over.

NamasteNiki Fri 17-Nov-17 22:28:07

I cant see them tonight. I dont have a car.

The local hospital did it, an oral surgeon as in her words it was a difficult extraction. Half the tooth was buried under the gym line and required incision, drilling, slicing the tooth up to remove.

Thank god I was sedated.

bonzo77 Fri 17-Nov-17 22:34:13

Dentist here. Almost certainly dry socket. Needs a clean and packing and antibiotics. Be prepared for a loooong healing process now I’m afraid.

DO NOT RINSE YOUR MOUTH! Rinsing causes loss of the clot and poor healing. I take out lots of teeth and have not had a single case of dry socket amongst patients I have treated since I stopped telling people to rinse. Not a single one in nearly 7 years.

NamasteNiki Fri 17-Nov-17 22:42:24

The painkillers have knocked it on the head now.

If it was dry socket wouldnt it still be painful or did I take enough to knock it out?

The hospital told me at least 4-6 salt rinses a day. At LEAST. I did it even if it bloody hurt.

Why do they give such bad advice.

How long is a long healing process?

And why the hell do I have huge white stitches in my cheek with a huge swollen lump under it?

Thymeout Fri 17-Nov-17 23:19:57

Also be careful with ordinary drinking. Large amounts of liquid swirling round the tooth can dislodge the clot. Dentist warned against using a straw, because of the suction.

The only time I had a dry socket was when I stupidly put my tongue in the cavity to see what it felt like. Never again. I had an aunt who absent-mindedly scratched an itchy ear with the end of a tail comb. She punctured an ear drum. I think it runs in the family.

Solasum Sat 18-Nov-17 00:04:02

Once mine was packed the pain reduced to bearable levels very fast.

swansong81 Sat 18-Nov-17 00:11:09

Dry socket OMG awful.
I worked in the most awful law firm in the world and I had dry socket I couldn’t describe the hell I went through - my boss the partner was such a bastard to me. I was in so much pain drove myself to a&e and they felt so sorry for me.

Pain horrendous. Stupid dentist

Rosecottage888 Sat 18-Nov-17 00:41:54

Currently laying awake in pain after a failed attempt at wisdom tooth removal by my dentist on Wednesday, yanking about for what felt like forever then decided I needed to be referred to hospital so all he did was angered it and sent me on my merry way. I sympathise OP, pain is all down my neck and up to my eye despite painkillers. Hope you feel better soon x

NamasteNiki Sat 18-Nov-17 09:09:55

It's woken me up several times last night and is agony.

NamasteNiki Sat 18-Nov-17 09:23:47

Maxfax oncall werent that bothered. Maybe dry socket maybe not. If I want to come to a&e at the hospital to be seen i can but up to me.

Ok then.

bonzo77 Sat 18-Nov-17 11:58:14

If you in England you can call 111 to see the emergency dental service. Honestly you will feel so much better after packing it.

Saltwater rinses seem to be standard advice, but I think for most people they do fuck all and for some they cause big problems.

As to the stitches and lump... cannot day without looking, but depending on how the extraction was done, it could be normal appearance at this stage.

NamasteNiki Sat 18-Nov-17 12:26:21

2 nurofen plus, 2 paracetamol hss now knocked it out to an acceptable level.

So i wonder if it was dry socket it would still be very bad?

Thr max fax said iy can worsen on days 5-7. Didnt seem that bothered. So i dont know if i should go to the a&e or not but its an hour away

HammerToFall Sat 18-Nov-17 12:33:39

Have you any clove that will really help. Also swilling with a strong mouth wash will relieve the pain temporarily

bonzo77 Sat 18-Nov-17 18:17:07

It’s not an a&e thing. They probably won’t have the packing material. Call 111 if you want to be seen. It will be tomorrow now for emergency dental appt.

NamasteNiki Sat 18-Nov-17 19:16:02

The on call maxfax told me to come to a&e and she'd see me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now