Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone have a pancake maker?

(29 Posts)
WelshMoth Fri 17-Nov-17 21:09:44

Thinking of getting one but there are a few to choose from. DD loves them and it'll make a fab Christmas present.

Mum2jenny Fri 17-Nov-17 21:10:46

Didn't know they were a thing, I use either a griddle or a frying pan for mine

Bella8 Fri 17-Nov-17 21:14:30

I think gadgets like that are a waste of money and harder to clean not to mention they end up at back of cupboard. Pancakes really easy to make in frying pan.

HolyShet Fri 17-Nov-17 21:15:45

Yes, it's called a frying pan

RunRabbitRunRabbit Fri 17-Nov-17 21:15:51

DS1 with a frying pan.

I have never heard of a pancake maker. How different to a frying pan can it be?

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 17-Nov-17 21:18:42

I make my kids pancakes every morning and apart from having 2 large frying pans, I don't have any 'kit' as such.

100g plain flour (30/70 wholemeal/White)
320g milk
2 large eggs

It makes 3 large pancakes so they have 1.5 each.

If I'm being organised I make batter the night before, but otherwise just whisk up. It's so easy I can't imagine what you'd get from a maker off to google

PandaPieForTea Fri 17-Nov-17 21:20:33

We have a special pancake frying pan - it’s only about 1cm deep. DH makes the batter in our blender using a Nigella recipe. I’m not sure what else you’d need for making pancakes.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 17-Nov-17 21:20:39

Ah right, American pancakes! I only make those on a Sunday as they take longer to produce. Still just use my frying pan though.

PurplePillowCase Fri 17-Nov-17 21:21:08

mine is called dc grin

TwitterQueen1 Fri 17-Nov-17 21:26:46

Mine is called Birds Eye classic pancakes from a supermarket near you popped into the toaster... grin

No mess, no fuss

Bella8 Fri 17-Nov-17 21:32:22

American pancakes just as easy to make except you make the mixture thicker and can add sugar and buttermilk. If you want the perfect circle you can buy rubber molds that go right in the frying pan. For mine I don't bother and just dollop it in pan and you can squeeze about 4-5 in one large frying pan. Part of the fun is that they're all abit different and I prefer them 'rustic' and homemade than all uniform & boring!

Bratsandtwats Fri 17-Nov-17 21:34:43

Yeah.

He's sat next to me on the sofa.

goose1964 Fri 17-Nov-17 21:38:29

We have one, it's like two frying pans joined together so to turn the pancake you just turn the pan over, never used it because I hate pancakes

Bella8 Fri 17-Nov-17 21:53:40

That's sounds like a waffle maker. How can you hate pancakes!?! shock

WelshMoth Fri 17-Nov-17 22:44:30

Ah, the wonderful MN grin

I should have added more info. DD has been a pancake legend since she was about 9 and she is hankering after a Unit that she can make pancakes in her school Christmas fair. This, will not replace her battered old faithful pan, but is a way for her to build her pancake empire.

FoodieToo Fri 17-Nov-17 22:49:24

We have one. It's fabulous! So much easier than a frying pan and the crepes are much bigger.

I could never make proper , thin pancakes prior to having it.

Now we have them about once a week, with savoury and/or sweet fillings. Guests all rave about them.

Doesnt't need cleaning, just a wipe with kitchen roll.

Also very cheap to buy! Wish I had bought one years ago.
Have a waffle maker too and it is also fab. Highly recommend both.

FoodieToo Fri 17-Nov-17 22:51:26

This is the one

www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-VTP130-Traditional-Crepe-12-Inch/dp/B0048EJQDG/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&keywords=crepe+maker&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1510959047&sr=1-4

TheSpottedZebra Fri 17-Nov-17 22:58:04

Could she get a portable induction hob instead, which would be more flexible/useful?

Is she allowed to plug stuff in and have hot pans at the fair?

IdaDown Fri 17-Nov-17 23:45:46

google Blini Maker.

Lots of frying pans come up but also sandwich toaster type gadgets.

4forksake Sat 18-Nov-17 01:43:37

Amazon have some (or did yesterday) crepe makers in their b;ack Friday deals for about £20/23 pounds so might be worth looking. The reviews were good & not too costly.

Want2bSupermum Sat 18-Nov-17 01:45:15

Waffle maker yes. Pancake pan... frying pan confused

OldWitch00 Sat 18-Nov-17 01:59:06

I like my waffle maker, my crepe pan sticks, pancakes in the trusty cast iron griddle.

Bella8 Sat 18-Nov-17 07:01:20

I can completely see the point of a waffle maker and own one. However for pancakes a frying pan, skillet, griddle are fine. If your pan is sticking it may be damaged and need replaced, my trusty Ikea pan never sticks it was cheap and worked great. At a school fayre I went to the person just used a frying pan. It's the chef/ingredients&recipe and not fancy equipment that makes the difference.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sat 18-Nov-17 19:38:19

I now need a waffle maker.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Sat 18-Nov-17 19:42:05

A crepe pan years ago has been my best kitchen item ever!!
Shallow pan, wooden 'spreader 'and a crepe recipe on the packaging!!
The dc make a whole afternoon out of preparing fillings etc!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now