Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I utterly hate this about Christmas 🎄

(76 Posts)
Snap8TheCat Thu 16-Nov-17 20:45:32

And I remember moaning about it last year.

I hate practically doing everyone’s shopping for them. List coordinator, link or product finder, idea thinker. I hate it. Why do people harass you for ideas for your family? It’s lazy. No surprises around here! What’s the point?!

Justgivemesomepeace Thu 16-Nov-17 20:52:27

Yep I'm with you. It's hard enough thinking if my own ideas. Then in December my house turns into some kind of distribution centre. All the different branches of the family seem to think it's ok to drop everyone's presents and cards at mine for me to pass on 'when I see them'. My sister's always on the last minute and I never get hers to people before Xmas and have cards hanging about in January. Sort your own bloody xmas's out!

MissConductUS Thu 16-Nov-17 20:54:09

My kids are already making their lists. We post them online for the grans and all, with links for where to buy the items. Thank God for the internet.

DelurkingAJ Thu 16-Nov-17 21:00:50

I like lists. It avoids (as we have had every year whenever someone thinks ‘oh, I know what DS1 would love’ getting duplicate presents and having to work out who will be least upset if I politely ask for the receipt (if it’s family!)). Two sets of Junior Monopoly last year. Same Lego set (what are the odds?!) the year before. Same (lovely) book year before that.

For adults, I agree...I’m happy to suck up and be charming about a book I’ve already read etc. But 4 year olds are less keen for some reason.

Japanese Thu 16-Nov-17 21:06:08

Am not a fan of this either OP.

My DM finds Christmas very stressful and deals with this by being ridiculously over-prepared months in advance. She usually starts asking me around Easter time what she can get the DCs for Christmas and gets very huffy if I haven't come up with numerous suggestions by around June time. Last year I thought she had surpassed herself by asking me on Boxing Day what the DCs wanted for the following Christmas but no, last week she actually asked me what she could get them for Christmas 2018 shock. It's getting totally out of hand to be honest.

I am also the provider of gift ideas/suggestions for the DCs for every other member of the family and vague, 'they are into such-and-such this year' is never enough, people seem to want specific gift recommendations.

It's one thing doing it regarding the DCs but I do get pretty resentful of every other bugger piling in with their questions and nabbing my ideas when it's difficult enough to know what am going to get that person myself.

DM asks what she can get DF, DF asks about DM. They both ask about DP, SIL asks about DP. I dutifully respond. But I may have muttered 'how the fuck should I know?' when DM asked me what she could get for my cousin's son (who she sees more often than I do!).

You may have touched a nerve there OP...<and breathe>

Snap8TheCat Thu 16-Nov-17 21:10:49

Well that’s fine if your kids have lists, mine are a bit older and generally want vouchers or money to put towards larger ticket items. Or people have never heard of the voucher, I send them the link, tell them how to buy it etc etc.

Snap8TheCat Thu 16-Nov-17 21:12:07

Just as an example I was first asked for ideas on the 1st of fucking October.

Snap8TheCat Thu 16-Nov-17 21:13:40

My kids are already making their lists.

And indeed most people are just making lists. I’ve been hounded for weeks and everyone in my family must have done all their shopping by now.

WellTidy Thu 16-Nov-17 21:17:15

As well as buying for sooooooo many people myself, I also buy the gifts from my parents to my DC as that means they get what they want and my parents don't waste money. We also live 250 miles away and my parents just don't really do online shopping, despite yo giving them an iPad for Chistmas last year. My parents are generous, so there are lots of gifts. All in my house, poorly hidden!

My pet hate is someone asking me for ideas for me and DH and the DC, me giving them ideas, and asking if there's anything they want and Tim coming up with nothing. Thanks!

Or people asking hat the DC would like, me making suggestions within budget, and them ignoring them. Don't ask then!

Herja Thu 16-Nov-17 21:17:40

It had been one of my favourite things recently about separating from ex. He has a massive family, I had to think of presents for all of them and from all of them for the DCs. This year, I had to think of things for my immediate family and for my grandparents to get the kids. It's been lovely.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 16-Nov-17 21:21:12

I totally agree. It starts in September in my family, when someone will start circulating their list of what they've already bought for people and a list of what they and their brood would like. Bugger off with your lists.

Playmobilpeacock Thu 16-Nov-17 21:25:18

I agree with you OP. Its bloody annoying.

All of our extended family just send me said item via Amazon. UNWRAPPED!!

So I have to think of all the present ideas and then wrap them all and then I don't get any of the glory when the DC love the gift.

Bah humbug.

HolyShmoly Thu 16-Nov-17 21:25:20

Snap8, are you a relative of mine? I asked for present suggestions around that time. Then I don't buy shit presents and I prefer to buy as many presents as possible in October so I can manage my money easier.

HermionesRightHook Thu 16-Nov-17 21:26:22

I do not understand what is so hard about buying presents, preferably fairly light ones, and a big box from the post office, and then POSTING THEM TO PEOPLE. It's like people are allergic to paying for postage.

It's not super cheap, I grant you, but honestly, it's not bank breaking either and if your family live far away it's just a thing you need to budget in for. Instead of leaving random bloody supermarket bags full of bloody badly wrapped presents in my tiny house in sodding October.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 16-Nov-17 21:29:22

It's because everyone has too much.

monkeywithacowface Thu 16-Nov-17 21:29:23

God I know. DH's family start hassling me in October and go into to panic if ideas aren't forthcoming by November. The dc's haven't really expressed a preference for anything this year and it seems silly to force them for ideas when they may think of something by December which would still give a whole 3 weeks for purchases to be made!

Snap8TheCat Thu 16-Nov-17 21:29:42

Well if you are - stop! Put your money in a savings account, buy presents for your own family first, think if your own ideas for my family- whatever. But for the love of god stop harassing people to do the work for you.

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 16-Nov-17 21:31:21

God yes. I end up giving away all my good gift ideas to everyone else and never know what to buy myself. For in laws, simple generic info is not enough- such as 'paw patrol stuff' - they need actual Argos catalogue numbers!!!!

monkeywithacowface Thu 16-Nov-17 21:32:35

Oh and now eldest dc (13) has a phone if I'm not quick enough with a list they pester him with texts. Go the fuck away.

Ellie56 Thu 16-Nov-17 21:32:38

Bah humbug grin grin

I hate the present saga at Christmas too.

Millybingbong Thu 16-Nov-17 21:33:56

Im doing an experiment this year where i am not coming up with ideas for my dc for other people. Just a non commital - they have loads of things already but are grateful for whatever type response.

They do have loads. The default is to say colouring books but we have a drawer full of them too.

monkeywithacowface Thu 16-Nov-17 21:34:17

I'm keeping all the good ideas to myself this year they can have pj's, slippers and novelty bubble bath.

dollybird Thu 16-Nov-17 21:34:31

I totally agree. Usually have to put together a list for MIL, my parents and DB/SIL (luckily DH is on only child, and my other DB can't afford Christmas!).

MIL likes to do Christmas in a big way, but has got to the point of being incapable of buying any presents either (apart from socks/smellies etc) so I have to buy all of hers too.

My parents usually get things I suggest, but this year are on holiday for a month so I said we'd get the presents and in the end bought one present from them. MIL would probably have a nervous breakdown if I said we're getting only one present from you, even if it cost a lot of money. Me and DH also have to buy one 'proper' present for each other from her too.

With DB/SIL I've suggested vouchers or not bothering as that's basically swapping money, and she hasn't come back to me, so I'm assuming we're not bothering - yay! So glad we don't have a large family!

MsHarry Thu 16-Nov-17 21:34:39

We do surprises here. I used to ask SILs for ideas for nieces and nephews but I'd end up trying got find a specific thing all over town. Now they get what I choose, far easier.

Jenpug Thu 16-Nov-17 21:34:50

I've done Amazon wish lists for myself and all 3 children. Fortunately my husband can just about manage to do his own

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now