Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What do you do on Christmas Eve?

(166 Posts)
KindergartenKop Wed 15-Nov-17 19:43:35

The last time we were at home for Christmas was 3 years ago and I had a toddler and a week old baby so we didn't do much. This year I'm planning to go into town to drink gluhwein and watch the panicked last minute shoppers in the early afternoon but other than that I've got no plans. I was wondering if other people have nice traditions on Christmas Eve with their little kids?

ginghambox Wed 15-Nov-17 19:45:59

Get pissedgrin

Sooooooooooooooooooooo Wed 15-Nov-17 19:47:34

Work generally.

Chrisinthemorning Wed 15-Nov-17 19:48:14

Go to the Christingle at church. Then we either have friends round for drinks or go to another friends open house party.

BifsWif Wed 15-Nov-17 19:48:49

We usually go for a long walk with the dog in the daytime, Cristingle around 4pm and then a takeaway tea before they go to bed.

Then me and my husband have a domestic over the amount of gifts they have as I bring them downstairs, or the fact that he needs to build a 12 foot trampoline on his own in the dark. It’s magical.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 15-Nov-17 19:49:28

Don't get caught out with the shopping. Christmas Eve is a Sunday so will be on Sunday trading laws.

We are going to the panto in the afternoon (we have done this fir many years) after I've been for an MRI in the morning sad

NamasteNiki Wed 15-Nov-17 19:50:52

Work or fuck all.

MrGrumpy01 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:51:33

As it is a Sunday. Chill, then Crib service then McDonald for tea. Will probably drag the children out for a walk as well.

KindergartenKop Wed 15-Nov-17 19:51:55

I'll be there a bit earlier to watch the panicked shoppers then. The shops usually shut earlyish anyway.

OCSockOrphanage Wed 15-Nov-17 19:52:33

Drive to one or other ageing mother generally, with all the shopping and presents and DC and dog in the back of the car.... for five or six hours. Can you tell I'm looking forward to it?

BuzzKillington Wed 15-Nov-17 19:52:40

My dh and dcs go out and visit relatives with gifts so that I can titivate the house so it looks perfect.

Then we all go to early evening Mass and afterwards to the pub with a group of friends.

After that, we return home for M&S party food.

BackforGood Wed 15-Nov-17 19:53:07

Peel veg, tidy clear the dining room, lay the table, wrap presents.
Then go to Church in the afternoon for the Crib service, and again at 11pm for the 'midnight' service. smile

hmcAsWas Wed 15-Nov-17 19:55:12

We always go to the Panto (usually a sleb or too involved) in the nearest city for the matinee performance, and then come home and eat chocolate / drink wine. Dc are now 13 and 15, but we have done this for ten years running now and they wouldn't hear of missing it

Fitzsimmons Wed 15-Nov-17 19:55:17

Take advantage of the proximity of grandparents who can babysit to go to the cinema.

DUN DUN DUN DUN-DER-DUN DUN-DER-DUN grin

Haudyerwheesht Wed 15-Nov-17 19:55:55

2 people in this house inconsiderately have birthdays on 23rd so on 24th I'm usually making sure everything's sorted for Xmas after a day of birthday celebrating. Usually travelling to be with my mum too - I've tried to get her to come to us this year but she won't because she worries about her mobility and has lost confidence. I'd absolutely love to wake up in our own house for once but never mind.

Just to be clear I have siblings - none of them make arrangements for mum and mum tells me not to come but I can't leave her alone.

CMOTDibbler Wed 15-Nov-17 19:56:03

Go to the panto, have a hot chocolate, make trifle for christmas day breakfast smile

ipswichwitch Wed 15-Nov-17 19:56:43

Go out for hot chocolate and cake, then out to the local farm on the afternoon for a Santa experience. Take away pizza for tea, then a bottle of prosecco while we attempt to build their toys up. Somewhere amongst all that I find time to cook the ham and make cookies for Santa with the DC

Weepingwillows12 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:56:45

If not working then christingle service, nice tea and present wrapping when the kids are in bed. We also do the whole leave a carrot and mince pie for santa and rudolph for the kids.

Weepingwillows12 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:57:55

Pretty kids, we would always go to the pub with old school friends. Loads of people seem to go to the pub then.

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:59:24

Go for a walk to the park with the kids in the morning, maybe go out for lunch in town, come home, my dad and his partner come round, we have drinks and food, when they leave, I put the kids to bed, get pj's on have a drink and wrap presents with a Christmas film on grin

Garlicansapphire Wed 15-Nov-17 20:00:21

Final wrapping of presents, tidying house and peeling veg, making puds.

Then get fish and chips and then to church for carols and down the pub.

Notreallyarsed Wed 15-Nov-17 20:01:12

Gut the house, get everything prepped for the next day then spend the afternoon/evening making paper chains and watching Christmas movies and munching popcorn. Then early bed for all!

molemonkey Wed 15-Nov-17 20:01:25

Meal at our favourite restaurant with the kids then a couple of drinks at the bar across the road then home, where our neighbours/good friends join us for Christmas picky food.
They have usually left by 7 so chilled night watching Christmas films and sorting presents.
Also first thing we will be taking food drink and presents to my parents as we are there from Christmas Day till the day after Boxing Day.

GinYummy Wed 15-Nov-17 20:02:45

we are going to the panto before lunch and then home to eat and drink!

hingedspeculum Wed 15-Nov-17 20:03:56

Nothing, unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now