Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Things no one uses anymore?

(430 Posts)
yolofish Wed 15-Nov-17 09:30:47

For some reason this morning I was thinking about napkin rings, and it made me wonder what else no one uses anymore. I was given a napkin ring as a christening present; and we got those wine bottle holder things for a wedding present - the ones like a coaster but with a little lip to, I assume, catch any drips from the bottle.

What else do you remember that no one uses nowadays?

WorraLiberty Wed 15-Nov-17 09:42:02

Common sense

Zaphodsotherhead Wed 15-Nov-17 09:44:07

My mum had a mincer that clamped to the table. Huge great metal thing. It's probably still in a cupboard somewhere...

yolofish Wed 15-Nov-17 09:45:02

oh yes the mincer!! mine had one of those, I think it was green.

BastardTart Wed 15-Nov-17 09:45:43

No one wears brooches anymore really, except for the queen

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 15-Nov-17 09:47:07

Landline phone.

Brooches will be making a comeback - you wait love a brooch or a hat pin

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 15-Nov-17 09:50:33

Cassette tapes.

Plastic head scarfs as beloved of my granny in the rain.

Head scarves worn over the head and tied in a knot underneath old lady style. Even old ladies don't wear them any more.

Tableclothes

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 15-Nov-17 09:50:58

Tablecloths

expatinscotland Wed 15-Nov-17 09:52:03

Marrow spoons. I had no idea they existed, but saw one on Dickinson's Real Deal the other day.

Salt pots that go on the table.

LightastheBreeze Wed 15-Nov-17 09:54:20

The choke on a car, memories of having to hold it out with a clothes peg until car warmed up.

AllGoodDogs Wed 15-Nov-17 09:57:56

My mum still uses napkin rings when she has dinner parties, and on Christmas day!

Lighters! Everyone's stopped smoking now (or vape instead) so whenever I need to light candle I can never find someone who has a lighter. I did buy matches but I put them out of reach of the kids and can't find them!!

Ifailed Wed 15-Nov-17 09:59:04

telephone seat/table in hall

Herja Wed 15-Nov-17 10:00:28

I wear broaches, I'm 27. Ex had a car with a choke (complete with clothes peg) until last year. It was very funny when someone tried to steal it, they really didn't understand the choke...

AuntieStella Wed 15-Nov-17 10:00:30

Fax machines.

Dial telephone handsets.

Party lines.

Mangels

WindyWednesday Wed 15-Nov-17 10:01:41

Manners.

Fightthebear Wed 15-Nov-17 10:02:10

My iron.

IceCreamIceCream Wed 15-Nov-17 10:06:11

Fax machines are still the backbone of the NHS!

CigarsofthePharoahs Wed 15-Nov-17 10:13:25

I use napkin rings for posh occasions.
I have just remembered my landline phone was knocked behind a bookshelf by ds2 and is still there as I can't reach it. Handset is probably flat! Hey ho, only ever got cold calls on it anyway.
Dial up modems.
Oil lamps. I remember my parents had one. You had to faff quite a bit to get it out and then put a big glass globe over it. Wasn't used for years and just sat gathering dust. I think my mum threw it away in the end, probably an antique now.

Giggorata Wed 15-Nov-17 10:14:40

I wouldn't get rid of my ancient mincer for anything! It splits in half for cleaning, the only one I've ever seen like that..

spidey66 Wed 15-Nov-17 10:17:10

Phone boxes. Christian O'Connell was talking about it this am on Absolute Radio, and was getting listeners to go out to their nearest box to ring the show.

JingsMahBucket Wed 15-Nov-17 10:32:13

An ear trumpet, as seen on Call the Midwife to listen to the baby.

Not exactly a thing, but a task: ironing the newspaper, again, as seen on Downton Abbey. There was a time when it was seriously somebody's job to iron the newspaper for the manor residents. Interesting yet crazy.

One of the reasons why I watch period shows is to see the tasks or objects that don't exist anymore. It's fun to think about what replaced to those tasks and objects.

InfiniteSheldon Wed 15-Nov-17 10:35:18

My mid twenties drop dead gorgeous Dr wears those plastic scarf head things she whips them out of her handbag twix pub and club and nearly always gets jumped to front of queue and let in bouncers feel sorry for her friends
And the word twix needs adding to our list

InfiniteSheldon Wed 15-Nov-17 10:35:50

Dd not Dr!

TheNaze73 Wed 15-Nov-17 10:38:02

Beaded car seats

BluthsFrozenBananas Wed 15-Nov-17 10:40:15

When I was cleaning out my grandad’s things after he died I found a glorious array of gentleman’s dressing dodads. I don’t even know what half of them were, lots of clips and pins and springy things to keep bits of clothing in place and neat. I bet most of those things aren’t even made anymore let alone used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now