Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What kind of stuff did you grow up with that seems quite inappropriate for kids now?

(62 Posts)
Iwasjustabouttosaythat Wed 15-Nov-17 01:33:58

DS (4yo) is loving the idea of time machines. I said to him and DP, "oh, we should watch Back to the Future together!" DP starts grimacing and saying not for a few years yet and giving me the "let's talk about that later" look. Only after discussing it later did I remember that the plot is (SPOILER ALERT) I need to go back in time to save my mother from being date-raped at the prom. Wow.

Then there's that delightful scene in License to Drive where the Coreys are taking sexual photos of a young Heather Graham while she's passed out from alcohol. Hilarious! confused

The Beatles are my favourite band but there's a lot of lyrics in there I don't want my kids hearing. The oft cited Run For Your Life is just one of many examples.

Is anyone else a bit shocked at the stuff we used to watch? The world is changing for the better I think in our sensitivity to sexist culture. Or is it just me being a 38yo fuddy duddy/too precious?

Kursk Wed 15-Nov-17 01:45:30

Personally I wouldn’t have a problem with anything you listed.

My 4 year old nephew has shot a gun (with parental assistance)

I remember that as a 8 year old the line was drawn for my brother watching Flight of the Intruder.

slightlyglittermaned Wed 15-Nov-17 01:57:44

No, a lot of "romantic" plotlines (which as a kid, I always thought were embarassing and just get on with the story please) are basically abusive, creepy, stalkerish etc.

maddiemookins16mum Wed 15-Nov-17 06:56:00

Grease was pretty smutty looking back now, most of it went over my 12 year old head though as I was too busy learning the words to 'Sandy'.

Sarahjconnor Wed 15-Nov-17 07:04:22

Big was on tv a while ago and we sat and watched it - it got very very weird...

Slartybartfast Wed 15-Nov-17 07:06:53

I love Big, apart from the whole romance relationship thing.

WipsGlitter Wed 15-Nov-17 07:12:18

Pretty Woman is about a prostitute. Hardly feel good material. Hey ladies! Sell yourself for sex and the rich handsome guy might rescue you too.

Not tv related but my parents smoked like chimneys in the house and car. My sister and I must have stank sad

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 15-Nov-17 07:16:21

Sweet cigarettes. We used to hold them like real fags and smoke /suck them down like a real cigarette

Weepingwillows12 Wed 15-Nov-17 07:19:17

I was listening to the radio this morning and 'don't stand to close to me' by The Police came on. Have heard it a million times but first time I actually listened to the words. It's very dodgy.

LilQueenie Wed 15-Nov-17 07:27:51

thomas the tank engine. Well not really but there are a few lines that made me look up and one creepy part. there is a traction engine who loves children. The way its said repeatedly made me raise an eyebrow. I realise over the last few years we have been bombarded by peadophilia accusations in the media and I think its sort of stuck in our heads to notice stuff.

I watched back to the future since I was 5. never harmed me. then again I was watching The Young Ones at 4. I was also in the room whilst the porkys films were on just as you would watch your day to day tv with your child in the room.

PantPlot Wed 15-Nov-17 07:29:46

Mini Pops.

God I wanted to be a Mini Pop

Ilovelampandchair Wed 15-Nov-17 07:31:33

I grew up with homophobia and racism. And trans people were 'funny'. Very fucking inappropriate now.

Partyfops Wed 15-Nov-17 07:39:38

As PP said, candy cigarettes!! My dd (6) wanted some candy sticks at the weekend. She has never had them before. She has seen her grandad smoking once or twice (against my will) but she put one in her mouth and said, "look Mummy, it's like those smoker things!". shockshock

DH and I remembered that they used to be coloured like cigarettes too!!

TossDaily Wed 15-Nov-17 07:42:13

My parents.

ADrabLittleCrab Wed 15-Nov-17 07:47:11

I was having the same conversation with dh - he was talking about Oliver (the musical) and how we both loved it as kids (old gimmers!) and wondering if ds5 would enjoy it. I had to ask which part of the story he wanted to explain first, the mother being abandoned and dying in squalor during childbirth, the child beatings, street children with no other hope in life but to be exploited as thieves and probably facing execution when caught, the prostitution or the beating to death of said prostitute.
It's obviously an incredibly grim story but the film covered it with some fantastically jolly tunes!
Although in all honesty, if it was on, we'd probably still watch it- I guess everything would go over his head.

SoMuchToBits Wed 15-Nov-17 07:53:59

We had sweet cigarettes. Even though my parents never smoked and never wanted us to do so either. I've never even had so much of a puff on a cigarette though, so I don't think they can have influenced me very much!

My sister had one of those chemistry sets though. In those days they were full of really dangerous things that were either poisonous or could explode. You wouldn't be allowed those these days!

CheeseCakeSunflowers Wed 15-Nov-17 08:00:23

I use to watch Batman regularly in the 60's. I was amazed to find when I saw the some episodes recently that it is packed with innuendo which had gone straight over my head as a child.

Slartybartfast Wed 15-Nov-17 18:53:43

What about Are you being served. I had no idea it was rude at the time. What with her pussy

Sunnydaysrock Wed 15-Nov-17 18:58:07

All the Police Academy films! TBH I would probably let my kids watch them now as they're a bit older. But rewatching them after all these years omg! They are so politically incorrect, full of sex/ sexual innuendos. But I think I saw most of them at the cinema at quite a young age.

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Wed 15-Nov-17 19:02:18

Rainbow

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Wed 15-Nov-17 19:05:01

LilQueenie I totally agree about Trevor the Traction Engine being creepy. Every time he says "Oh yes, I like children..." I feel a bit uneasy!

PrivateParkin Wed 15-Nov-17 19:10:43

Sweet cigarettes were terrible weren't they, with the red tips to make it look as though they were lit?! Also does anyone remember those chocolate "smokers sets" that used to be sold around Christmas - with a chocolate pipe, cigs, etc?!

Katedotness1963 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:11:38

In the early '70's, when there were the power cuts we lit our way to bed with a candle. Not in a nice candle holder, with the end melted and stuck in a saucer. I was in single digit age then. I'd never have let my kids wander off to bed with a lit candle.

And the good, old, left in the car for hours while your parent got pissed in the pub and drove you home.

UserWhatYouLike Wed 15-Nov-17 19:15:58

Jim’ll fix it.

prampushingdownthehighst Wed 15-Nov-17 19:18:54

Packet of crisps and bottle of coke in the car whilst parents had a drink in the pub.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now