Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Social worker issues

(6 Posts)
Humphreyhippo Tue 14-Nov-17 19:27:12

Posted this in SN chat but no replies, so posting here in the hope someone will be able to help.

DS2 ( 15 with severe autism) has just got a new social worker. She is absolutely clueless about complex autism ( I have worked with her on a professional basis in the past, so have prior experience of her lack of knowledge). Am I within my rights to ask for a social worker who understands severe, minimally verbal autism?

underthebridget Tue 14-Nov-17 19:37:27

I would say that if you have worked with her in the past, then she shouldn’t have been assigned to your DDs case at all. I’ve worked in similar roles and if I knew the family or child being referred I would tell my manager that it wouldn’t be appropriate for me to take the case as I know them personally.

DaisyDukesShorts Tue 14-Nov-17 19:39:44

Ask the Team Manager, they can only say no, but at least you've tried.

Humphreyhippo Tue 14-Nov-17 19:41:18

Yes that’s the main reason I’m giving. But do you think I could also request someone who knows something about autism?

Humphreyhippo Tue 14-Nov-17 19:42:12

Sorry that was to underthebridge.

underthebridget Tue 14-Nov-17 21:53:12

Autism is incredibly complex and the professionals currently involved with your DD (plus yourself) will be best placed to support the SW and their team in identifying how to assist your DD. SW does tend to be more case management these days - they aren’t necessarily experts in every subject and don’t have to be - SWs will often have a great grasp of a broad range of needs and diagnoses but they would take the lead from other professionals that work closely with the child.
The SW will be coordinating the care, on the advice of the professionals doing the majority of the direct work. I would expect any work undertaken by the SW to be based on information gathered from your DD, you/family, education professional and MH/medical professionals etc (key involvements).
I think a change of SW owing to your personal connection would be a very appropriate request, then discuss your concerns with the team manager re: knowledge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now