Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Switching careers?

(4 Posts)
TheZeppo Tue 14-Nov-17 19:13:03

Mid 30s, single, no kids.
Seriously considering sperm donation (relevant, I think?)

Have been a teacher for 15 years, head of year for 5. Love my job, but I'm SO tired. Thinking about doing it for the next 30 years makes me cry (literally, sometimes)

Would love to retrain into youth mental health (counsellor? Psychiatrist?) but money an issue.

What would you do, if you were me? It sounds ridiculous, but I feel literally paralysed by life and I'm worried I'll wake up in 20 years in the same place.

AntiBi Tue 14-Nov-17 19:19:20

I retrained as a social worker. Did a 2 year Master’s and secured a job pretty immediately. It’s not a bowl of cherries, given funding cuts but it’s okay (though am in Adults SW).

Can you afford to retrain full-time?

You’re still young so I wouldn’t worry about age. I was 52 when I started the Master’s. You’ll have to take a pay cut though as you’ll start on less than you probably earn now.

antimatter Tue 14-Nov-17 19:22:34

You could consider this wels.open.ac.uk/overview/school-health-wellbeing-and-social-care/professional-programme-social-work/postgraduate#

TheZeppo Tue 14-Nov-17 19:39:44

Thank you for replying. Money is a real issue for me- mortgage alone means I'll struggle without my normal wage :-(

There is an MA I'd love to do, in youth counselling in South Wales. But I can't affotd the gamble without the guarantee of a wage at the end 😢

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now