Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone on here raising a twice exceptional child?

(51 Posts)
westcoastnortherneragain Sun 05-Nov-17 06:50:25

I could do with some support

Topnotes Sun 05-Nov-17 06:52:23

What is a twice exceptional child?

Believeitornot Sun 05-Nov-17 06:53:12

They’re exceptional thrice over to me but not sure that’s what you mean.

RoganJosh Sun 05-Nov-17 06:54:04

Isn’t it quicker to google than to ask?

westcoastnortherneragain Sun 05-Nov-17 06:54:06

A child who has a gifted level iq and also has a learning issue such as adhd or dysgraphia

MrsJamin Sun 05-Nov-17 06:54:12

Yes what is that exactly? One that can burp the alphabet and do one-handed handstands?

westcoastnortherneragain Sun 05-Nov-17 06:55:06

This isn’t a stealth boast either, I would really like support and help from fellow parents on here

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 05-Nov-17 06:55:25

Have a look at the gifted and talented board, you'll find plenty of support there.

Twice exceptional means a child who is gifted/talented and also has a disability.

westcoastnortherneragain Sun 05-Nov-17 06:56:20

Thank you, I’ve been in tears tonight. I’ll go over to that board

Believeitornot Sun 05-Nov-17 06:58:13

Ah.

Sorry for my flippant reply.

MrsJamin Sun 05-Nov-17 07:00:31

Ah OK. I'm sorry for my flippant reply to. I'd definitely go to the Gifted and Talented board, hope you find the support you need.

westcoastnortherneragain Sun 05-Nov-17 07:00:48

That’s ok, it’s all pretty new to me

JemimaMuddledUp Sun 05-Nov-17 07:07:00

flowersflowersflowers

I'm no expert, but we have touched on this a little with our DS. He is very bright but also dyspraxic. So he could read in two languages at four but couldn't hold a pencil. The frustration led to behaviour issues.

Things are better now he's in his teens, the school is excellent at supporting him (gifted and able register etc) and he also has support from the Occupational Therapist.

How old is your DC?

irvineoneohone Sun 05-Nov-17 07:19:10

Go post in G&T or SEN board. I think there are many of them on MN.

irvineoneohone Sun 05-Nov-17 07:20:17

Oh, sorry it's already been suggested. Sorry my morning brain!

westcoastnortherneragain Sun 05-Nov-17 07:20:58

He’s 10, I’m feeling so guilty that I didn’t catch it earlier

irvineoneohone Sun 05-Nov-17 07:30:52

You shouldn't. It seems a common thing that gifted child is over looked and difficult to find they have specific needs at school, simply because they are just able to mask it by producing good level of work.
Now you know what's holding dc up, and you can support your dc accordingly.
Tbh, G&T board is very slow going. So according to your dc's age, it maybe better to post on primary or secondary, if you didn't get many responses there. Not sure about SEN board.

westcoastnortherneragain Sun 05-Nov-17 07:32:52

Thank you

GnomeDePlume Sun 05-Nov-17 07:41:43

I understand.

DD's ASD was diagnosed at 15 after severe self-harm she is also a straight A student. Initially we felt a lot of guilt, how on earth did we miss this?

Now we realise that this is all part and parcel of who she is.

Fatbergs Sun 05-Nov-17 07:44:53

Does autism count as twice exceptional?

Crumbs1 Sun 05-Nov-17 07:45:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MissBeehiving Sun 05-Nov-17 07:48:38

Yes. I have two, both with dyspraxia/disgraphia. The eldest wasn’t diagnosed until earlier this year when he was 13, so I had spent several years nagging and criticising handwriting particularly, as had his teachers which affected his self esteem. So awful guilt feelings here.

However with the correct diagnosis he has thrived since then, regained his confidence - he understands that he finds some things harder because of the dyspraxia, not because he’s stupid. He has a good IEP as well.

irvineoneohone Sun 05-Nov-17 07:59:26

Many autistic child is indeed 2e, I think, Fatbergs. Gifted in one thing, struggles with other.

building2017 Sun 05-Nov-17 08:49:57

Yes, my son was assessed and told they couldn't actually measure his IQ because although he has exceptional mathematical reasoning ability, his executive function and working memory are extremely poor. I think of him as an absent minded professor. He will need steering for a long while.

mygrandchildrenrock Sun 05-Nov-17 09:04:56

OP, I've sent you a message.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now