Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Uma Thurman speaking about sexual harassment and assault in Hollywood

(27 Posts)
tectonicplates Sat 04-Nov-17 20:25:36

Wow. She clearly has something important to say, but isn't quite ready to say it yet. She's obviously very angry though. I was quite stopped in my tracks by her manner. I hope she feels able to speak out at some point. I think we haven't even heard the half of it yet.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4gK8DuuWY

megletthesecond Sat 04-Nov-17 20:27:42

I gave her a little cheer.
Why can't I be that controlled when I'm angry hmm.

tectonicplates Sat 04-Nov-17 20:30:37

Well actually I think there's nothing wrong with being angry. Women should be angry about this. But people never listen to us and tell us to calm down, so we're expected to maintain decorum at all times. hmm

CelebrationSizedBounty Sat 04-Nov-17 20:36:11

Yes anger is totally justified. But I do understand what she means about expressing herself. I always regret getting ranty and inarticulate when I don’t have a handle on my emotions.

Cold, logical anger is always better.

DamsonGin Sat 04-Nov-17 20:41:53

Something bad's happened there, felt quiet upsetting merely watching that. It makes it so much worse though that people can't just speak out about it, that there's a fear and hesitation that they won't be taken seriously.

BamburyFuriou3 Sat 04-Nov-17 20:44:31

Wow. Mentally cheering her on.

BulletFox Sat 04-Nov-17 20:48:58

It's amazing how this has snowballed with the whole HW thing - it might lead to some real societal change and awareness that no, it's not ok to have a patriarchal society where women can be sexually harassed but have to indulge/tolerate the behaviour

I haven't watched the clip however I'll do that now smile

JessiCake Sat 04-Nov-17 20:51:15

That's an incredible clip; not something you often see on the red carpet - or anywhere tbf.

Whatever it is she has to say, I understand that feeling of not being remotely controlled when I'm angry, and of wanting to be more than I am.

Admire that a lot. Very refreshing to see a 'human' moment and what looks like real honesty. Cheering her on too.

KimKatCourtney Sun 05-Nov-17 10:41:47

Very powerful clip. Every time I see a pic now of an actress with HW their body language looks like they can't get away fast enough, he is the definition of repulsive

TakemedowntoPotatoCity Sun 05-Nov-17 10:53:46

I'M been wondering why we hadn't yet heard from her, as after all she was heavily involved with HW through all the QT films. She's clearly biding her time...

tectonicplates Sun 05-Nov-17 14:10:56

There's some proper female anger right now. I hope something about society can actually be changed though.

Needlepoint2345 Fri 24-Nov-17 01:28:56

Bump

nowt Fri 24-Nov-17 01:33:23

From her Facebook today...

BastardGoDarkly Fri 24-Nov-17 01:40:35

The way she said ' I'm not a child' was chilling.

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Fri 24-Nov-17 01:50:39

Very, very powerful.
I'm saddened and so angry that so many women have to feel this way and will need to continue to come forward with such similar, crushing stories. That every single one of my female friends has been either sexually assaulted or raped.

I admire those women standing up and sharing what they have been through, I can't believe how brave they are. I couldn't take that leap to speak out.
The impact these women sharing their stories will have on society today and the women and girls of the future will be incredible.

Uma, so many stand in solidarity. When you are ready and if you are ready, you do what you need to.

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 24-Nov-17 02:53:46

Wow, that is something.

This really is the tip of the iceberg.

I feel so strongly that not only do women not lie about this.... But - they actively cover up for the men who assault them.

It's much, much easier to cover up for them, than to come forward. Men haven't appreciated this, until maybe now.

Hopefully that is finally starting to change.

DoctorTwo Fri 24-Nov-17 03:27:47

That Facebook post is really powerful. Her anger, and the anger of other women, is entirely justified.

BitOfFun Fri 24-Nov-17 04:00:15

There's a reason there was a Volume II of Kill Bill. She will bide her time and take those muthafuckers DOWN...

NotAgainYoda Fri 24-Nov-17 06:29:29

Oh good for her

I so desperately want to feel that women will no longer be dismissed

That even 'small' acts like touching and comments will be seen as part of the continuum that they are

NotAgainYoda Fri 24-Nov-17 06:32:01

I also feel as a middle-aged woman, such a reponsibility to stand up about this. One of the most angering things I saw recently was a short CH4 interview with an older journalist and a middle-aged woman who basically accused young women of being wet drips who should just get on with it like she did

Vitalogy Fri 24-Nov-17 06:58:46

People seem to be doing a lot of hinting. When is everyone actually coming out about it all!
I think Uma Thurman said this a month ago.

building2017 Fri 24-Nov-17 07:50:44

Presumably she is building a watertight legal case.

HermionesRightHook Fri 24-Nov-17 07:51:22

Survivors don't owe us their stories. It's taken so long to get a climate where it can be spoken about, but a few well placed lawsuits could still put paid to that. So kindly don't blame anyone for waiting until they are comfortable doing more than just using the hash tag.

HermionesRightHook Fri 24-Nov-17 07:52:10

(sorry, that kindly actually shouldn't be there, my phone added it - apparently I'm normally more passive aggressive than I meant to be here!)

Elendon Fri 24-Nov-17 08:07:19

'You don't deserve a bullet. Stay tuned'

Wow! Obviously there is more to come and it will not be pleasant. I wish her well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now