Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Reasons my kids don't have 100% attendance

(212 Posts)
pipistrell Tue 24-Oct-17 07:35:26

I HATE this stupid obsession with 100% attendance. Rewarding kids for something that isn’t in their control and therefore punishing kids for something that isn’t within their control. It’s just bonkers and I don’t understand how schools go along with this crap.

So, the reason my youngest won’t have 100% attendance this year...... he has to appear in court as a witness in a pretty nasty family law case. Don’t want to out myself by giving more details.

I know it’s not AIBU so I’m not going to ask.... but instead what are the —stupid— reasons why your kids won’t be getting 100% attendance this year?

HashtagTired Tue 24-Oct-17 07:37:33

Mine isn’t stupid, but we’re taking dd out for 2 days for family weekend break! Canny wait!

pipistrell Tue 24-Oct-17 07:39:00

Haha good for you!

wowbutter Tue 24-Oct-17 07:39:14

Illness, mainly. But also one day a year where we attend a local farming show as a family, and have been since they were born, and so did their father and grandmother and great grandmother before them. So, yes, we are continuing to do that.

Sirzy Tue 24-Oct-17 07:39:35

Because today he is having his 6th appointment of this half term alone (with one more to come) - one of them has meant a full day off and 2 have meant half days off.

And he probably has a late mark too after a meltdown meant it was gone 9.40 before he was persuaded into School!

Buggeritimgettingup Tue 24-Oct-17 07:40:06

Mine had emergency brain surgery on Sunday the kind of operate or die emergency. Not a stupid reason but the most unavoidable!

MiaowTheCat Tue 24-Oct-17 07:41:31

2 hospital appointments in her second week of school (not reschedulable easily) - poor kid was just not trying hard enough to avoid pneumonia before the summer holidays. That was DD2's attendance buggered from the start.

Impetigo - excluded for the time stated in the school policy.

And DD1 had a shitter of a case of sinusitis and was just absolutely wrecked by it - even her teachers had commented she looked pretty damned unwell and was just sitting silently (and DD1 is never ever quiet - she even talks in her sleep) so she's had a day off recently too.

Least school are fairly reasonable about attendance - classes with 100% get a nice poster to stick in their classroom window is all.

CigarsofthePharoahs Tue 24-Oct-17 07:41:38

My son broke his arm. It was the afternoon of the second day back at school!
Three days off whilst it was really painful and some messing about to make sure he had wearable clothes. School have been really good about it though, they didn't mind him out of uniform for a bit.

Snap8TheCat Tue 24-Oct-17 07:43:50

Ours are having two days off because we are going in a weeks holiday. The joke is that if we were allowed to take them, one of those days they could have stayed in school until 1pm before our evening flight. But because we’ve had to pretend they are ill, they have missed two full days.

glenthebattleostrich Tue 24-Oct-17 07:44:13

It's almost £3000 cheaper to go on holiday and miss 5 days of school meaning we can do the holiday of a lifetime.

Last year it was because she had chicken pox.

Luckily our school don't do attendance awards (we have a fairly high percentage of Children with additional needs so it wouldn't be fair to them) and our head is a wonderfully understanding person, as long as you don't behave in a rediculous way.

pipistrell Tue 24-Oct-17 07:45:15

I should clarify - I don’t mean the reasons for absence are stupid, I mean it’s stupid that these poor kids are penalized for being absent.

I mean - life saving surgery?! Like a child wouldn’t rather be in school than going through these awful illnesses. My child would far rather be in school than in court.

Bugger I hope your child makes a full recovery flowers

theothersideoftheworld Tue 24-Oct-17 07:45:40

I'm taking mine to Spain next year.

Sirzy Tue 24-Oct-17 07:46:37

To be fair snap you don’t have to lie to the school (and schools aren’t daft so will know!) you are choosing to lie! Ok they would be unauthorised but does that really matter in the grand scheme of things?

abbsisspartacus Tue 24-Oct-17 07:48:31

48 hours out because his dad feeds him shite to "punish" me and he vomited most spectacularly

TweeBee Tue 24-Oct-17 07:49:06

Totally agree with you OP. My opinion is that for primary school children, it's never their fault if they're off school. They are unwell, have appointments or their parents have made choices for them. A really unfair system.

Piggyinthemidriff Tue 24-Oct-17 07:50:38

Occasionally mine need a mental health day. They don't abuse the fact that I understand this, and it's usually only one or two days a year, but sometimes life gets too much and they just need a day to breathe.

TitsalinaBumSqoosh Tue 24-Oct-17 07:50:39

My DS1 has a chronic degenerative health condition and is currently walking around with half a collapsed lung, he’s never got 100% attendance for anything.
I think children with no unauthorised attendance should be rewarded because he’d dam well be at school when he can but when pupils and teachers come into school with coughs/colds etc, he’s going to be the one who suffers.

Snap8TheCat Tue 24-Oct-17 07:52:19

Well if I tell them they will fine me! If they are sick they can’t. Of course I’m choosing to lie. They’ve given no choice. It saved a lot of money doing it this way.

BeyondThePage Tue 24-Oct-17 07:52:54

mine do have 100% attendance - because they are lucky -

they are rarely ill, and when they are it is usually in the Christmas or Easter holiday,

do not know why they have never broken a bone - or 10! they must "bounce"

and we don't do time off in term time - (even my dad was "nice" enough to pass away in the summer break - he was a retired teacher... smile )

But, even then, even though they have 100% attendance for the past 4 years, I still think it is stupid to reward attendance - something the kids themselves have no control over.

pipistrell Tue 24-Oct-17 07:52:58

Quite right Titsalina - the last thing schools should be doing is encouraging grotty sick kids coming in and spreading their germs around.

As an ex teacher I was sick to death of kids coughing and sneezing all over me, and of course for those who are immuno compromised it’s so much more serious.

LosingMyWay Tue 24-Oct-17 07:53:51

My son wears glasses and the othoptic department only have children’s appointments on a Wednesday afternoon. So that’s every 6 weeks atm.

Also, my dh works on an oil rig and often his days away fall during school holidays. If they do we tend to take the kids out for a day before he goes so he can spend some time with them

wowbutter Tue 24-Oct-17 07:54:27

Oh god I'm totally forgetting, mine has broken his arm twice in the last academic year! Had to be operated on both times. So missed a total of about six days with both added together.
Attendance went to about 89% by the end of the academic year.
Broken arm.
Tonsillitis.
Farm show.
Disneyland.

We did catch up work, and I have no desire for 100% attendance. My DH is horrified as I am an ex attendance officer!!

Sugarcoma Tue 24-Oct-17 07:55:37

I post this every time one of these threads come up: I too am baffled about this obsession with attendance. As a kid my parents used to take me out for a minimum of 2 weeks every summer so we could spend two months abroad with my Grandma. I did fine in all my exams and went to Oxbridge.

Within reason missing a few weeks here and there really does not matter! Where/why did this obsession start?

MockneyReject Tue 24-Oct-17 07:56:59

DS gagged on an over ripe banana he was given for snack.
They phoned me to collect him, and he was not allowed back for 48 hours. So, 2.5 days off, at school's insistence, absolutely nothing wrong with him!

pipistrell Tue 24-Oct-17 07:57:11

Oh yes wow we also has a broken arm last year, sustained in school no less. That was one day off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now