Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Making a complaint against a doctor

(16 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Tue 24-Oct-17 03:54:06

I'm interested to know whether this would be worth doing. Would the doctor find out about the complaint and be offered help/training where needed or would the NHS stick together and pay me lip service while not really escalating the complaint? This is to do with an a&e doctor.

Reppin Tue 24-Oct-17 04:04:07

I think it is hard to say without more details.

MoreSnowPlease Tue 24-Oct-17 04:45:22

She was basically really condescending towards me and my 5 year old ds because he didn't present with what I was telling her was happening at home. And because I made a comment that he had told me he needed to go to the doctors. She thought this was inappropriate because it should be the parents decision and based her whole diagnosis on this one comment completely ignoring what I was telling her. He didn't make the decision to go to the doctor, the reason I told her he had asked to come in is because I was trying to convey the seriousness of his condition, because I know him well, and how much he hates doctors so it was out of the ordinary. She took it as an opportunity to decide I made a poor decision and from them on dismissed what I was saying.

He is a diagnosed severe asthmatic with more hospital admissions than I can remember. I was following the protocol of giving 10 puffs salbutamol when wheezy and working to breath and it wasn't calming his breathing enough so I took him in. I've always been told to do this.

He presented well for the most part of the time there, however did get worse, clearly working hard to breath, but normal sats , as I woke him to leave at which point she sat him down and sat very close to him and with a very condescending tone badgered him with questions about what he would be asking me to do if he was feeling like this at home. Basically telling him off for asking for his inhaler. And ignoring my requests to leave him alone (I could see he was getting anxious as she was in his face)

She talked about how she has just seen another patient with similar symptoms (a teenager having a panic attack) who I heard her also taking condescendingly to, and decided this must be the same thing.

Basically, he was presenting with no chest wheeze, I explained that I thought it was an allergic reaction and the wheeze was coming from his throat. She dismissed this and told me to stop giving salbutamol as it won't help if his throat is affected.

Tonight, he's now covered in hives is still breathing the same way (whilst asleep) joints are all swollen.

I've given piriton and ibuprofen but it's not helping, so I gave salbutamol. It has helped immediately.

I have this time taken a video where chest/neck retractions can easily be seen while sleeping and noisy, wheezy breathing.

I understand that there may not be a chest wheeze, but I would like her to know that the salbutamol is helping as this could help someone she treats in future and also that she should be more humble and listen to parents concerns as they know their children best.

She wrote a report to my gp to make an urgent appt at the paediatric clinic but must have said something about her thinking it was me worried unnecessarily because they want me to bring him to see them before they will make the appt!

It's just ridiculous, this is an issue with breathing and it's made me so angry.

TwattyCatty Tue 24-Oct-17 05:32:52

also that she should be more humble and listen to parents concerns as they know their children best

Seriously? Good luck with that in your complaint.

pinkjasminesky Tue 24-Oct-17 06:01:05

Humblee and doctors generally don't go together!

JoandMax Tue 24-Oct-17 06:13:01

Do you have a good GP you can discuss what happened with? It can help to get another perspective on whether you have grounds to complain......

I have made a complaint against a GP before, she had some extra training and we had a formal apology. But it was quite a clear cut mistake

Notanumberuser Tue 24-Oct-17 06:17:18

How do you expect her to diagnose him if, when he’s worse and she’s questioning him, you ask her to leave him alone?

As to be more humble. Words fail me.

RaindropsAndSparkles Tue 24-Oct-17 06:23:15

She was condescending, dismissive and unhelpful. Her behaviour might prevent you from visiting A&E in future and make your son resistant to asking for help.

Yes you should complain but I'd focus on her attitude rather than her clinical judgement.

It's time hcps understood they aren't doing the public a favour and the public needs to stop being grateful for the NHS because It's free. It isn't but we've been brainwashed to think it is.

Sirzy Tue 24-Oct-17 06:23:53

She wrote a report to my gp to make an urgent appt at the paediatric clinic but must have said something about her thinking it was me worried unnecessarily because they want me to bring him to see them before they will make the appt!

That doesn’t make any sense at all?? If anything your Gp is perhaps not agreeing with her that an urgent appointment is needed rather than her not believing you - if she didn’t believe you why would she want an urgent Refferal?

Notanumberuser Tue 24-Oct-17 06:30:32

And she made an urgent referral. What more do you want from her?

Ktown Tue 24-Oct-17 06:52:50

Attitude and condescending are very subjective phrases.
a and e are short of doctors so I wouldn't bother unless she refused to treat him.
A doctors bedside manner varies and won't suit everyone.

wheresthel1ght Tue 24-Oct-17 07:57:56

I have severe asthma, and from what you gave posted he wasn't having an asthma attack. His sats were norm so she was trying to establish a cause.

You have said yourself you think it was an allergic reaction and then tried to tell. Her how to do her job. I am not surprised she was shirty with you to be honest. From your post it was you who was rude and condescending to her.

Floralnomad Tue 24-Oct-17 08:03:26

From what you have written you don't really have grounds for complaint , if your son has deteriorated at home take him back , which would be a better use of your time than worrying about this . It never hurts to write a letter commenting on your experience but that is not a complaint as such .

Ginmakesitallok Tue 24-Oct-17 08:08:16

If you want to complain do. All complaints are investigated and reported. Complaints aren't dismissed just because they are about a doctor. The dr will be asked to respond to your complaint.

MoreSnowPlease Tue 24-Oct-17 11:01:40

It's hard to convey tone in a written post.

I didn't tell her how to do her job, I told her how I knew my son to be. She cut me off and ignored me multiple times.

I told her I thought it was his throat, she didn't even look at his throat.

She told me to do giving salbutamol as it wouldn't help if it was his throat. It is helping massively, so she was wrong, and I think it's important she knows this as I kept him off salbutamol all day and listened to him wheeze.

He is up and down, which is what I explained.

MoreSnowPlease Tue 24-Oct-17 11:05:43

The urgent referral requires the written report to state what she saw which required the referral. I have read the report and it doesn't say that she saw him struggling to breath. Which she did. So that's why the GP asked me to come in. Also because he's of the opinion that finding triggers for allergic reactions is pointless add you can't eliminate them all.

So the clinic will get the report and decide it's not urgent or push him down the list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now