Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Children waking during the night

(13 Posts)
TwoShades1 Tue 24-Oct-17 03:34:44

I’m a step mum so I know I’m already automatically wrong about everything but hey ho. My step kids don’t sleep through the night (with me and DP 2 nights a week, previously was 3 nights). DSS is nearly 9 and 50% of the time wakes up during the night and wakes us. DSD is 7 and wakes every night at least once can be 2 or 3 times. They always say they are thirsty/sick/heachache/hot/cold/itchy/literally anything!! I don’t mind them waking us for genuine sickness or nightmares but this isn’t the case 90% of the times, it just a rubbish random excuse. They just don’t seem to be able to sleep through. Is this normal? I don’t have other kids to compare with.

beingsunny Tue 24-Oct-17 03:54:59

They are likely unsettled in a different place, this isn’t their main home, bed feels different, smells and sounds are all different... they are still young

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 24-Oct-17 04:02:37

It’s two nights a week so I would just not worry too much. They’re clearly awake and want an adult so the ‘excuse’ is just that they need reassurance.

TwoShades1 Tue 24-Oct-17 04:14:05

I’m not sure they are unsettled? Me and DP have been living together for nearly 2 years and have been together for just over 5 years. The waking has gotten worse over the last 6 months. Not sure what they are like at their mums house. Previously they only woke for “genuine” problems like properly sick or occasional nightmares.

beingsunny Tue 24-Oct-17 04:23:31

Does it matter?
At the end of the day, they are waking and looking for reassurance, if they can’t tell you why you will just need to ride it out and be kind

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 24-Oct-17 04:26:44

Anything changed recently? Seems odd if they are both waking more...

ShowMePotatoSalad Tue 24-Oct-17 04:41:39

It could be nightmares - between those ages were when I started having really bad nightmares that would wake me up and I would always go through to my parent's room. Sometimes I would say I wasn't well or whatever because I didn't want to talk about the bad dream. Could be that?

wheresthel1ght Tue 24-Oct-17 07:52:11

Has something changed in the last 6 months? They may not be unsettled by being at yours but something however sub consciously is unsettling them.

It's not normal if it hasn't always happened, if they have always been crap sleepers then obviously it would be normal.

Chipsahoy Tue 24-Oct-17 20:11:50

My ds is 6 and wakes three or four times some nights. Drives me nuts but he has always been this way. My other ds is 9 and I count on one hand how many times he has woken us in the night in the last yr.

Is it out of the ordinary? Do they wake often at home?

Santawontbelong Tue 24-Oct-17 20:13:51

Could they choose a night light each? Reward chart for self settling?

AlwaysDancing1234 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:16:36

As a child of divorced parents I remember being junior school age and although I loved staying over with Dad and Step-Mum a couple days a week I often used to wake in the night due to different noises or just a different feel to the house. It could just be a case of needing that extra reassurance.
Maybe get your DH to chat to them about it casually (not during the night!) and ask if they’d like a nightlight or if anything is bothering them etc.

Millybingbong Tue 24-Oct-17 20:35:19

my 4yo is always like this, and my 5yo winds up to it from time to time. We sometimes use a sticker chart when it gets too much. The baby also wakes up - the whole thing makes me a bit grumpy from time to time.

I would try to encourage them not to. Wake up is fine, it is the disturbing me bit I dont like...

Believeitornot Wed 25-Oct-17 07:12:20

would try to encourage them not to. Wake up is fine, it is the disturbing me bit I dont like..

Isn’t that lovely. Maybe they need reassurance after a bad dream.

OP can you put some background relaxing music on a low level for them and see if that helps? Also no tv or screens an hour before bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now