Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What can DH do in London with 4yo dd1?

(28 Posts)
trilbydoll Mon 23-Oct-17 18:30:36

DD1 wants to see Big Ben so they're off to London tomorrow. We know it's covered in scaffolding, but they'll still be able to see how big it is.

What do they do next? Is she too young to enjoy the science museum? I don't think she will appreciate the Natural History Museum, she will just look at the displays for 3 seconds. What else is there for reception aged kids?

MegBusset Mon 23-Oct-17 18:35:05

NHM and Science Museum will be heaving. Where are they coming from? Mine enjoyed at that age :

London Eye & Aquarium (£££ though)
Wander along South Bank - lots to see
Tate Modern & Millennium Bridge
Thames Clipper to Greenwich

Further afield :
Diana Memorial Playground
Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green
Transport Museum
Coram Fields

Smallinthesmoke Mon 23-Oct-17 18:35:07

Seriously, you can't see anything of Big Ben at the moment. Not even the clock face. It is covered in white sheeting as well as scaffolding- totally non distinguishable from any other building. Are you sure it is worth the trip?

bigchris Mon 23-Oct-17 18:36:57

M & M store
Duck tour
London bus ride
Hamleys

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Mon 23-Oct-17 18:37:02

There's plenty for young kids at the Science Museum but it will be packed.

The Aquarium's not too far from Big Ben, just over the bridge, might she like that?

SquirmOfEels Mon 23-Oct-17 18:38:05

There's a few suggestions on this thread

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/london/2837877-Best-museums-for-under-2s

and there are quite a lot of sightseeing ideas in the threads in that topic.

Near the Houses of Parliament, there's St James Park and Buckingham Palace if you go one way, or up Whitehall to Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery and National Portait Gallerty (both of which have activity packs for young visitors), of you could go the other way, down to the Tate, then get the Thames Clipper to the other Tate and see central London from the Thames.

Or go over Westminster Bridge, Aquarium, London Eye, various stuff along the South bank.

millifiori Mon 23-Oct-17 18:38:16

She'll love the Science Museum - there are (or were) two separate sections dedicated to young children, the waterplay and music bit (used to be in the basement but may have moved) and the main one. (Forget its name but any staff member will tell you. Loads of really fun hands-on stuff there.)

Other fun museums are Docklands Mudlarks kids' section and the Maritime museum kids' section. They could go on a boat ride to greenwich and see the Tower of London and Tower Bridge, as well as the London Eye.

LIZS Mon 23-Oct-17 18:40:28

London Aquarium, Southbank centre, Red Bus tour to take in Buckingham Palace, St Paul's and the Monument or River bus to the Tower.

DaisyDando Mon 23-Oct-17 18:41:16

I think the Duck Tours are no more. The Transport Museum in Covent Garden is nice, but ££. For free the Science Museum is great for under fives. London Zoo is the best.

trilbydoll Mon 23-Oct-17 18:44:35

Thanks all. DH is already muttering about whether it is worth going or not. I know everywhere will be heaving, but that's the disadvantage of being limited to holidays. Unless we wait for an inset day?

stopbeingadramallama Mon 23-Oct-17 18:45:11

Sea life centre?

stopbeingadramallama Mon 23-Oct-17 18:45:29

It’s right next to Big Ben

LIZS Mon 23-Oct-17 18:53:18

It won't be heaving. London is a big place! Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens/St James' Park to feed the ducks and have a run around.

TroysMammy Mon 23-Oct-17 18:57:03

Is there still a petting zoo and dinosaurs in Crystal Palace? I'm remembering back to 1970.

DappledThings Mon 23-Oct-17 20:13:50

Dinosaurs yes, no petting zoo in CP anymore, not for years but there are farm animals you can see in the grounds of the college. It's open 12-4

Quokka12 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:16:26

At that age Covent Garden and the transport museum is the best it has a dedicated play area and is great for under 5s - if you book online for the natural history if you prefer you can beat the queues for the dinosaur bit but I would go for watching the magic shows round Covent Garden, the live singers in the bit below and the transport over the aquarium which is busy and vvvv expensive unless you have merlin passes

mtpaektu Mon 23-Oct-17 21:19:02

Yep, the Duck tours in London have finished as they’ve blocked the road down to the river next to MI6 so they can build the “super sewer” which will be underneath the Thames river.

MagentaRocks Mon 23-Oct-17 21:19:27

Riley’s believe it or not is good and not far from the nickleodeon, m and m and Lego shop. Also the shrek adventure tour is pretty good.

Quokka12 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:19:36

But saying that google - half term there will be loads going on at the south bank and the festival hall - the Tate modern if you dip in is fun and there will be the carousel on the bank

trilbydoll Mon 23-Oct-17 21:23:52

Thanks all. I think he's also a bit concerned about how tired she is and whether the walking will wipe her out for the rest of the week. If they only went to south bank tho that's not too far.

crumble82 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:25:14

Science museum is great. We took DD 4 a couple of months ago in August and it was busy but not uncomfortably so. The children’s bit is in the basement and they do shows down there as well. We took her to the bubble show which she loved.

annandale Mon 23-Oct-17 21:30:21

It may sound negative but at that age I would go to London, take a red bus to see Big Ben, walk out onto westminster bridge and look at the river, take another red bus or a taxi and go home.

SpotAGuillemot Mon 23-Oct-17 21:31:28

The Shrek experience next door to the aquarium is good fun. My 5yo ds loves it. We went once before he'd even seen Shrek and he still really enjoyed it - there's a pretend bus ride and loads of other bits. It's way cheaper to book online before you go - same with aquarium if you decide to go there.

Otherwise my ds has enjoyed both NHM and Science museum since he was about 3yo. More for just stomping about the place and going up and down the lifts and escalators though 😂, he's easily amused. Also they love just riding around on the tube at that age if you don't often go to London.

DaisyDando Mon 23-Oct-17 21:36:52

Ripleys has also closed down.

wellthatsjustgreat Mon 23-Oct-17 21:38:53

I took all 3 of my children to London recently. We went to the science museum, natural history museum, Leicester Square & china town at night & changing of guards at Buckingham palace. Oh and we walked along embankment from Waterloo to Westminster. My 4 yr old loved it all & I'm amazed her little legs coped with it because I was exhausted confused
She was amazed by it all but we do live in a much smaller town.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now