Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Favorite meal as a child that you can reproduce today.

(40 Posts)
ModreB Mon 23-Oct-17 18:20:54

When I was small, in the 70's, my favorite meal of the week was on a Monday. It was always Sunday roast and leftover veg and potatoes heated up in the leftover gravy and served with lots of bread and butter. DH agrees now that this is a LUSH meal and looks forward to it. grin

I'm interested to see what your favourite meal was.

Balfe Mon 23-Oct-17 18:22:21

Granny's soup. I have the same recipe and it's not the same.

ShowMePotatoSalad Mon 23-Oct-17 18:27:13

Roast chicken dinner. My dad taught me to get the gravy to exactly the right taste. It takes me right back.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 23-Oct-17 18:29:11

If we had left leftover garlic bread (a favourite so my mum used to make tons) my mum would blitz it to breadcrumbs and use to coat chicken fillets. I now deliberately buy garlic bread for homemade chicken nuggets.

TalcAndTurnips Mon 23-Oct-17 18:31:51

Cauliflower Cheese - followed by Ma's Orange Cream Pie (from the Marguerite Patten book I believe).

This consisted of a biscuit crumb case filled with a mandarin jelly whisked together with a small can of evaporated milk. The jelly was made with the juice from a can of mandarins - a few crushed segments went into the mixture and the top was decorated with a pattern of whole bits. The whole thing set into a lovely wobbly foamy creamy pale orange goo - the trick was to wait until the jelly was semi-set - 'crawling' my mother used to say - before whisking in the evap.

Want one NOW. Not exactly haute cuisine but so delicious.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 23-Oct-17 18:32:00

Belly pork and homemade gravy, or cheese and potato pie with a poached egg on top and ketchup. Both ultimate comfort food.

HeyMicky Mon 23-Oct-17 18:32:44

Sticky marinated chicken thighs, with rice and green peas mixed together. I make it probably once a fortnight

reallyorange Mon 23-Oct-17 18:33:58

talc in a home ec lesson at school we learned how to make 'mousse' with whipped evap and semi-set jelly!

SpottedGingham Mon 23-Oct-17 18:34:01

Leftover Roast beef and mash/veg with gravy on Mondays. We’re having this tonight. Followed by apple pie and custard. 😋

reallyorange Mon 23-Oct-17 18:34:45

hey sounds lush, what is the chicken marinated in?

ModreB Mon 23-Oct-17 18:35:53

Monday that sounds amazing, I might have to steal it.

HeyMicky Mon 23-Oct-17 18:37:24

really soy, garlic, ginger, honey, tiny bit of sesame oil, splash of orange** juice, squirt of tomato ketchup. Not terribly authentic but really easy and the kids love it, too

ModreB Mon 23-Oct-17 18:37:31

And I also have apple pies and custard in the fridge.

hiddley Mon 23-Oct-17 18:37:44

Oh so many but I'm not nearly as competent a cook as my mother.

Beef stew.
Lamb stew.
Beef chops roasted in oven.
Roast chicken.
Bacon and cabbage.
Roast leg of lamb
Vegetables were usually carrot, carrot and parsnip, marrowfat peas or swede.
Then there was this concoction which I occasionally recreate (it's my hangover cure). Mash, rashers and beans all with vegetable packet soup poured over. shock

TalcAndTurnips Mon 23-Oct-17 18:39:13

reallyorange - the result is quite light and creamy, if a bit 70s... grin

Marguerite Patten's Cookery In Colour was our family bible - we still use the Christmas Pudding recipe now. It makes a rich, dark, not-too-sweet pud that keeps for months and months.

thecapitalsunited Mon 23-Oct-17 18:39:43

My mum always makes cottage pie with the sachets. I can make a more authentic version but when I’ve had a shit week I like to do it with a sachet and frozen mixed veg just like mum does. And sometimes with sweet potatoes mixed through the mash. And about a block of cheese on top. Always makes me feel better, just like it did when I was a kid.

Eminybob Mon 23-Oct-17 18:52:55

My dad used to (and still does) make "Mancunian pie" which is just a mince and potato pie with shortcrust pastry. He serves it with sliced onions in vinegar.
I can make a version which is passable but no where near as good as dad's.
Dh loves the onions in vinegar, he'd never had it until my dad first cooked the pie for him, but we do them at home now too.
Oh and brown sauce on the side.

Marylou2 Mon 23-Oct-17 18:54:08

Egg and bacon nest. Circular heap of mash surrounded by crispy bacon with a poached egg in the middle.

ModreB Mon 23-Oct-17 18:54:59

We had the M&S cookbook, but my Nan didn't need a cookbook. She would cook from memory all the time.

I just recalled another favorite, Steak and Kidney Pudding. Steamed all day in my Nan's ancient (1930's) steamer that I still have. I also have her pudding basin that makes the best steamed puddings ever.

Bestbees Mon 23-Oct-17 18:56:45

Modre we love that in our house but always call it rechaufé in pretend french as a bit of a joke!!

Coloursthatweremyjoy Mon 23-Oct-17 19:01:47

Fish fingers with mashed potato and baked beans with cheese sauce all over. I loved it. Obviously I can

On the healthier side...she made a fantastic hot pot. I have been shown how to create it loads of times but it just isn't the same. My Gran made one but it tasted very different, still lovely though. Mine is lovely but mainly because I got the recipe off the good food website grin .

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 23-Oct-17 19:02:28

'Wigwams', my Nan's 'Wigwams' on Wednesday dinner time (midday). This was a heap of mashed potatoes in the middle of the plate, surrounded by propped up sausages, with a 'lake' of baked beans.

I can make this myself now and sometimes do but it's not the same and I miss my Nan so much. smile

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 23-Oct-17 19:03:43

cross-posted with you, Colours, not the same recipe but Nans sadly missed.

HoneyWheeler Mon 23-Oct-17 19:05:14

My mum used to make spinach and ricotta cannelloni and I still adore it today.

I also distinctly remember finding out the yellow fluffy things we occasionally had for dinner were scrambled eggs and my Dad teaching me how to make them! Yum.

TroysMammy Mon 23-Oct-17 19:07:54

Tinned Pek chopped meat, chips and baked beans.
Boiled bacon, mashed potatoes, peas and parsley sauce.
Cawl ( Welsh stew).
Corned beef pasty pie and chips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now