Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Hospital bag ideas - not for labour

(16 Posts)
ThisBigSky Mon 23-Oct-17 17:14:22

I've been in Hospital 6 times in the last 8 weeks - mostly three to four day stays. I've learnt to carry a hairbrush, small shampoo and conditioner, deodorant and toothbrush and paste with me at all times as I get no warning that I am about to be admitted and these things at least make me feel a little more human when I am allowed to have a shower.

I'm going to be in for around two or three months in the near future and I'm dreading it. I have chronic doctor phobia, I'm scared of my illness and I have cPTSD, I find the environment and experience pretty awful, but the care I receive has been exceptional.

Any ideas / suggestions for things to pack for a long hospital stay please?

Bellabelloo Mon 23-Oct-17 17:21:49

Oh no! So sorry you’re going through this.

My musts are eyemask and earplugs and loads of stuff to keep me entertained.

X

fraggle84 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:38:01

I’d pack my own snuggly blanket, good slippers that don’t fall off, slipper socks, kindle, dry shampoo, those little squeeze bottles of concentrate squash, snacks, pjs and a nice hoodie or dressing gown

OrlandoMusc Mon 23-Oct-17 17:42:17

Ear Plugs! Block it all out when you need to, eye mask too. Don't do what I did though and get such a fright when the nurses touches you gently to let you know you need to take some meds. I jumped so high she jumped back in fright.

Seconding a hoodie. You can go wander in the gardens etc without feeling so undressed.

Sounds tough ThisBig, hope it goes quickly and well for you.

SilverSpot Mon 23-Oct-17 17:43:38

Cereal bars
The squash squirt things
Wash bag
Bag for taking clothes etc to shower
Own pillow
Own blanket
PJs and hoody or dressing gown
Decent slippers
Sleep mask
Ear plugs
iPad and charger and lots of things downloaded to watch/listen too (audio books are good if you aren't feeling up to sitting up watching stuff)
Headphones
Kindle loaded with lots of books
Puzzle book

Joinourclub Mon 23-Oct-17 17:45:16

'Grown up ' Colouring book and pens.

Notalitigator Mon 23-Oct-17 17:45:49

Those Robinson juice triangle things. They're small so you can pack a load in your bag to add to water so you don't spend a fortune on hospital juice prices.

Nice body lotion.

Load a Kindle (buy one if possible).

Adult colouring book/pencils.

A card type game (perhaps able to play with people on the ward??)

Straycatblue Mon 23-Oct-17 17:48:24

Cash for magazines, sweets etc ( presuming there is a mobile cart that goes around the wards or someone that can go to shop for you)
Lip balm.
Laptop/tablet /portable dvd player with headphones.
Pre recorded relaxation tracks to listen to with headphones.
Phone charger
Flip flops for the shower (better than barefoot)
Definitely earplugs & eye mask
Notepad and pen
slippers & loose pyjamas/nightdress & loose clothing, depending on why you are going in.
Hairbands for tying hair up.
Bedsocks
Your own pillow
Normal toiletries inc Sanitary products & nail clippers and face wipes.
Snacks.

Glitteryfrog Mon 23-Oct-17 17:50:45

A small fan. Hospitals are actually hotter than the sun. FACT!

ThisBigSky Mon 23-Oct-17 17:51:01

Thank you for the good wish thoughts. And the ideas, lots I hadn't thought about - do you think that taking your own pillow / blanket is acceptable in Intensive Care / HDU wards? I would love to have the snuggly blanket I have at home with me.

Also thanks for the suggestions of food; someone has given me a deliveroo gift card which I am saving for days that I am sick of hospital food.

Will look at kindles now and see if I can afford one, I love reading so another great suggestion. Also love the cards!

Thank you so much for all the others too, please keep them coming (earplugs! A must!).

Tryingtogetitright Mon 23-Oct-17 17:53:59

Do you knit or crochet? Perhaps you could learn? Doesn't take up much space and makes the time fly by. Best wishes

FaithEverPresent Mon 23-Oct-17 17:55:19

Headphones for me. Load up your phone/iPod/whatever with music. I find it helps to distract me when there’s a waiting game. I also pay for the WiFi so I can watch Netflix!

flowers for you. I’ve been in a couple of times with pain. I’m a nurse but I hate being a patient!

kimlo Mon 23-Oct-17 17:56:10

If you cant afford a kindle the app on your phone is ok. Not as good as an actual kindle but usable.

kimlo Mon 23-Oct-17 17:57:03

and you can download things from betflix now so that once you are there you don't need wifi or data.

ThisBigSky Mon 23-Oct-17 18:07:26

I get free wifi; I was going to look into which movie provider is best - but I am a total techphobe and found it all overwhelming. I also tend to like really good dramas that have some truth / factualness behind them or documentaries and I haven't figured out which would be best for this.

Would love to learn to knit! This has been on my to do list so perhaps now is the perfect time - do you have any good starter resources please you could share that would allow me to start with something simple?

Floofd Mon 23-Oct-17 18:10:56

I worked on a ward for longer term patients. There are some really good suggestions here, especially a pillow and blanket from home to make you as comfortable as possible.

Depending on why you're in/how you'll be feeling, I'd suggest some nice soft plain coloured yoga pants or similar- if you fancy a walk around they make you feel a little nore dressed than PJ bottoms.

Some patients on the ward brought in their own fan- hospitals can be roasting but I'd also suggest a microwavable wheat bag incase youre chilly. Generally there's access to a microwave in a relatives room or day room.

Hospital food can be pretty dire especially if youre not feeling great, some snacks that you can keep by your bedside might be a good idea too and yes to small change if theres a trolley or similar.

Best wishes, I hope you feel better soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now