Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I'm stuck in an office with a sniffer

(19 Posts)
Blodplod Mon 23-Oct-17 16:06:30

And it's driving me crazy. I definitely suffer from auditory issues. It's a relatively new job and for 2 days a week I have to sit in an office with 6 men. One is a constant sniffer. I'm on a knife edge and don't know what to do about it! I've borrowed some headphones and listening to music but that it itself is not easy for me whilst it's sort of helping out with the immediate issue of me committing murder soon.. I can hear him over the headphones. No one else seems remotely concerned by it by the way... blush

notnowthough Mon 23-Oct-17 16:12:35

poor you flowers no ideas - sorry.

Lottapianos Mon 23-Oct-17 16:18:26

Have a big hug / bunch of flowers / bottle of gin / all three from me. What is wrong with people?! Sniffing has to be one of the most annoying noises ever. There's just no need. Blow your nose like a big boy!

When in situations like that, I have been known to approach the sniffer with a big smile and a pack of tissues and say something like 'oh poor you, you sound like you're suffering. Here, help yourself' while shoving the tissue packet in their face (politely smile). This doesn't always work - sometimes they have no clue that they are sniffing, so they look confused, take the tissue, put it in their pocket, and carry on sniffing loads shotgun

If it doesn't work, I don't know what to suggest other than cranking up your headhphones as high as you can stand it. Or biting the bullet and saying 'Fred, are you full of cold? You're really REALLY sniffly today'. Big smile and helpful attitude as above.

Blodplod Mon 23-Oct-17 16:24:30

Thank you.. The problem I think with me is I get to snapping/irritated point far earlier and quicker than I get to the nice person as described by Lotta. I can't believe no one else appears to have noticed (!). It definitely seems to be a constant with this guy rather than "I''ve just got a cold".. I'm going to have to say something - definitely can't face a future of this - my nerves are so jangled!

DubiousCredentials Mon 23-Oct-17 16:29:15

I’d be doing passive aggressive tissue offering on a regular basis I think. Whilst plotting to kill him.

Lottapianos Mon 23-Oct-17 16:34:22

I'm the same re the rage, so I try to get in early with the helpful tissue offering, rather than sitting there seething and feeling my blood pressure rise with every sniff

HamSandWitches Mon 23-Oct-17 16:37:59

It's a medical condition, I've forgot the name of it, my kids DF has it and it's either fight or flight. He really struggles with eating noises, I send one of the kids in with a calipo once when I wanted rid of him, he was off like a shot

Lottapianos Mon 23-Oct-17 16:40:07

Misophonia. Fellow sufferer smile

Gramgram Mon 23-Oct-17 16:46:13

My sympathy OP, sniffing is one thing I can't stand. I have been known to snarl " blow don't sniff" at offenders. DH used to do it, he now takes antihistamines, as his is allergy related.

4yoniD Mon 23-Oct-17 16:46:43

I'm blunt. I offer them tissues. Then insist they take a tissue.

It seems to be a growing problem in my office :S currently have 1 male AND 1 female sniffer.

MargoLovebutter Mon 23-Oct-17 16:51:05

Huge sympathy OP any noise like that drives me to the point of insanity.

My DS is ASD and DD and I did one of the autism tests that he did and although we are definitely not autistic, we scored really highly on the sensory overload stuff. We are a nightmare family for smells, sounds and touch stuff.

Can you wear headphones? Failing that bludgen them with the tissue box.

YorkieDorkie Mon 23-Oct-17 16:52:06

I would just sniff every single time they sniff and see how long it takes for them to catch on grin

In all seriousness though, my deepest sympathies to you! I get rhinitis in pregnancy and my DH is at his wits end halo

Blodplod Mon 23-Oct-17 17:09:51

Well, hes just left for the day so I bought it up with the other 3 that were left in the office. They looked very perplexed, said they hadn't noticed at all and I'm sure they think I'm some weird bint (I'm not bothered about that by the way!). Longer term though thankfully there is not enough room for me to sit in this office - so after this week when everyone is back I will be moving back to my own office with my lovely colleagues who don't sniff. Phew..

It's quite funny though, after I said it one guy when into slight panic mode and said he was really worried he would now notice the sniffing as he sits opposite the sniffer. grin

user1495832265 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:17:08

Huge sympathy to you OP. I was stuck in the dentist's waiting room this morning with a sniffer, for all of 10 minutes and I was ready to scream. I looked around at my fellow non-sniffers and nobody else seemed remotely bothered by it.
Not long till you're back in your other office though!

Boringnamechange1 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:25:47

You have my sympathy there's nothing worse than being stuck with a sniffer. Another misophonia sufferer here, sniffing is something that can bring me close to tears. There's a sniffer snorter at the bus stop outside the school sometimes and I choose to stand out in the rain rather than under the shelter listening to her disgusting irritating noise. The ones that get to me most are "dry" sniffs if that makes sense. The ones that sniff constantly every day but don't seem to be suffering from a cold. Arghhhhhh time to look out my earphones for the bus now the cold weather is here.

Blodplod Mon 23-Oct-17 17:31:12

@boringnamechange1 yes, this is the type of sniffer I have.. just constant all day and more of a habit than a genuine sniff iyswim. Really fucking IRRITATING!

wowbutter Mon 23-Oct-17 17:35:01

I'm really worried it's my DH you are now with!!
He is a sniffer, and has a new colleague sitting with him.

Anyhoo, even if it isn't him, there isn't much you can do. DH has been to the dr, blows his nose a lot, and still has issues. Google post nasal drip.
Yes, it's awful.
I've been known to shout "I don't care how fucking uncomfortable you are, stop making that fucking noise or you will have to leave" more often than not, he leaves.

He physically can't help it. The gp agrees. I think he isn't trying hard enough.

Blodplod Mon 23-Oct-17 19:18:50

No I don't think it's your husband @wowbutter. I think my guy is still living at home.. he's very early twenties? What I found so odd though is that no one else noticed? How my my hearing be on full alert and everyone just filters it out? Honestly sometimes it's the bane of my life. I can't switch it off either.. it becomes like Chinese water torture.. where you're on full alert waiting for it to happen.. then when you eventually relax a bit, it's there, the sudden sniff or bout of sort of involuntary sniffing.. arrrghhh!

WoooooOfOnesGroan Mon 23-Oct-17 19:28:43

I can blow my nose until the cows come home, and because of the structure of my sinuses, often nothing comes out but it can go "the other way" if I sniff.

I am sorry to any misophonics I have offended in my life -- but I promise you, however irritating it is to you, being constantly aware of one's sinuses and frequently in pain from recurrent infections due to bad sinus structure is even worse! I have had people be cruel about it, but I try to let it roll off me when that happens. It's really difficult to live with sinuses that do this, and pregnancy makes mine much worse. I have to wake up several times a night to blow my nose for 10-20 minutes and often make very little progress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now