Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Drank like scale remover possibly - is it dangerous?

(18 Posts)
StressheadMajor Mon 23-Oct-17 15:56:27

In new job and shaking there's some laughter because the woman showing me around has been drinking out of boiling water tank that apparently has lime scale remover still in not flushed thru? I drank from this also am I in danger?

Sorry for garbled post but posting quickly I gave health anxiety and thus is pressing my buttons but can't let anyone here see me being anxious

monkeywithacowface Mon 23-Oct-17 15:59:12

I have no idea but I would advise phoning 111 for advice to put your mind at rest

StressheadMajor Mon 23-Oct-17 16:01:07

I can't it's my first day I'm writing this discreetly I can't phone anyone

LikeTheShoes Mon 23-Oct-17 16:04:01

If you couldn't taste it I suspect you're fine!
I accidentally made tea with some kettle descaller (mixed with water after descaling the kettle) it tasted grim so I spat it out. No harm done.

JennyOnAPlate Mon 23-Oct-17 16:05:00

Drink lots of water and call 111 op. You absolutely can make a phone call. Speak to your boss and tell them what’s happened...they have been negligent in not putting some kind of sign on it to stop it being used.

As an aside are you sure someone’s not playing a joke on the new girl by telling you there’s lime scale remover in it when there isn’t?

StressheadMajor Mon 23-Oct-17 16:13:12

Boss nowhere to be seen office is full and f young people music blaring I don't think it's a joke i think it's all very disorganised

AdalindSchade Mon 23-Oct-17 16:14:14

I did that once. I'm still alive.

Andtheresaw Mon 23-Oct-17 16:15:55

If it was full of descaler you'd taste it. It has a very strong acidic smell too. If you didn't notice the taste or smell there can't have been enough left in there to do you any harm. Honestly, there's nothing to worry about.
Deep breath. You're going to be fine.

StressheadMajor Mon 23-Oct-17 16:16:19

First cup was 11 this morn would I be sick by now if I was ill? Second cup this afternoon

AdalindSchade Mon 23-Oct-17 16:16:58

You'd know about it already for sure. You're fine.

StressheadMajor Mon 23-Oct-17 16:17:35

Ok thank u trying to calm down. In aware it prob sounds ridiculous but so so panicked I have such a fear of health disasters in so so careful and then something like this happens and upsets me.

StressheadMajor Mon 23-Oct-17 16:18:27

Lol coffee was instant so tasted pretty shit anyway dunno if it would mask rescaled though.

Smartiepants79 Mon 23-Oct-17 16:20:19

It sounds more like they are teasing the girl who was showing you round.
What did they actually say? Did they say when it had been put in?
It is VERY unlikely that you are at risk.

Sienna9522 Mon 23-Oct-17 16:24:06

I'm pretty sure you will be absolutely fine. I also have health anxiety and know the very real fear it causes.

Monkeyinshoes Mon 23-Oct-17 16:26:35

Would depend on what was in the limescale remover and the concentration. Limescale remover is usually a weak acid.

I would have thought your drink would taste funny if it was at a high enough concentration to do you any harm. You’d also have immediately have symptoms such as burning/sore mouth and throat.

If you feel fine they’re either winding you up or it’s too dilute to do anything.

StressheadMajor Mon 23-Oct-17 16:31:00

I get home at 9.30 tonight and leave at 6.30 tomorrow morn so dont want to go and sit in a and e to be on safe side and I bet 111 would send me there if I called.

If I go there I won't get any sleep hardly and my anxiety is so much worse with no sleep and I can't be late in on my second day tomorrow

ontherightpath Mon 23-Oct-17 17:34:17

I did when I was pregnant with my DS 16, obviously we both survived. The operator at NHS direct (as it was at the time) said they get 3-4 calls every night from people who have inadvertently drank limescale remover, all with no ill-effects.

StressheadMajor Mon 23-Oct-17 20:03:04

Wow! Glad for all of us who have done it it doesn't seem to be really dangerous.

Thank you to everyone. Bloody Google was no help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now