Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Jury duty

(15 Posts)
PeanutButterLips Mon 23-Oct-17 12:42:35

I received a letter today summoning me to jury duty.
However, from the date it starts and two weeks going forward I have a holiday booked and paid for about 12 days after the start date. I am going to see if I can get deferred and give available dates for next year.
I did wonder how they go about paying someone who is bank staff? I average about two shifts a week (24 hours) but will the court pay for those or not?

ratspeaker Mon 23-Oct-17 12:46:55

Think they pay a flat rate for lost working hours.
You may not get called , DH has spent last week phoning the night before to be told he's not needed next day.

First thing to do is fill in the forms and send proof of booked holiday.

PeanutButterLips Mon 23-Oct-17 15:15:39

I will send proof and forms back asap thank

MrsWinklepicker Mon 23-Oct-17 15:18:45

You have to prove loss of earnings and there is a maximum (not very much) that they will reimburse every day.

ItsLeviosah Mon 23-Oct-17 15:21:46

Your employer will fill the form in for ‘loss of earnings’ so it all depends what they put on it.

Differing is easy. They word it as though only exceptional circumstances but loads of people defer and these days are not even asked why.
I deferred and was called up again 8 years later.

Cheerybigbottom Mon 23-Oct-17 15:24:36

You will be deferred easily if you can prove holiday booking. I did jury service last January, I'm also bank staff and I was not paid at all as I have no contracted hours. My boss could not fill in the form with any contracted hours (even regular hours you work on a rota don't count) and so the court could not pay me anything.

I did get out of a 6 week prospective jury by saying I couldn't afford to miss so much work, thank goodness.

scaredsister Mon 23-Oct-17 15:25:45

Oh forgot to say childcare fees incurred through service are reimbursed, and I got £5.40 a day lunch allowance and the court would pay mileage/public transport costs.

CigarsofthePharoahs Mon 23-Oct-17 18:44:25

DH deferred as they'd asked him to go right at the busiest time of year for his company. He manages his department and they'd have really struggled without him.
The deferral was only a few months, but it's a much quieter time. I'm hoping he doesn't get called, as even for two weeks we'll take a big financial hit.

PurplePillowCase Mon 23-Oct-17 18:45:39

that's why you should have travel insurance...

MrsWinklepicker Mon 23-Oct-17 18:53:09

No purple, they will let you defer or they will work around you, they will not expect you to miss your holiday. When I did it recently there was a long trial going on and the whole trial had a break whilst one of the jurors went on a pre-booked holiday. Also we were asked at the beginning whether we would be available for a long trial if required and we were allowed to say no!

Heratnumber7 Mon 23-Oct-17 18:57:23

I’ll swap! I would love to do jury duty.

MuchasSmoochas Mon 23-Oct-17 18:59:03

They are usually very reasonable about holidays. But they will make sure they get you back!

PurplePillowCase Mon 23-Oct-17 19:04:18

when I did there was no consideration about booked holidays (admittedly 10 years ago). but travel insurance paid out.

Vanillamanilla1 Mon 23-Oct-17 19:19:17

I work in a court and you would probably get a short trail . Thy wouldn't give you a long trial that ran over your booking . Go take the booking form or proof and take it to the jury office . They'll work around you

PeanutButterLips Mon 23-Oct-17 23:06:13

I will fill forms out tomorrow and hopefully here back I can be deferred.
Kinda guesses I wouldn't get paid anytime off work as I'm bank.
I chose when I can work but do two shifts a week so I guess I will earn zilch for those days.
Let's hope I don't get called back as quick as others

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now