Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is this a crazy idea for a 5th birthday party in winter?

(50 Posts)
CuppaSarah Mon 23-Oct-17 08:42:18

Dd is five early next year, so being as organized as I like to be I'm planning her party.

So my plan is to invite ten children from her class(siblings will be welcome), to my dads farm. Now his farm isn't a traditional farm, he has bees and pheasants and it's 20 odd acres of woodland, which backs onto a canal, has a little duck pond and some tank traps(massive concrete bollards).

So the plan is to put lots of blankets, a few heaters, maybe hay bales etc in one of the empty units that has a little kitchen. Tell the kids to come in warm waterproofs and bring a change of clothes. Then set up a treasure hunt around the farm, which involves feeding the birds, meeting the peacocks, collecting the eggs, feeding the ducks etc. Then ends with the children finding a treasure chest filled with plastic tatty jewellery and chocolate coins.

Then back to the unit for hot chocolate, changing into warm clothes and food. Then some party games send the kids the on their merry way. I'm thinking about an hour give or take depending on the weather outside. Then another hour eating and playing inside.

I've got gates to cover heaters, the bees will be hibernating and they're well out the way anyway. Plus the duck pond is very shallow and the canal has lots of undergrowth and brambles in the way to stop any children wandering in there.

How does this sound? Personally I think it sounds brilliant, but we're out in dads woods all year anyway. I also work with children and am used to assisting 20+ children getting changed, and rounding scores of children up in large outdoor spaces. Plus I can headcount running children with 95% accuracy on the first attempt. I'm just not sure everyone will be keen on sending their children to an outdoors winter party.

Pickledonion24 Mon 23-Oct-17 08:44:31

I love the idea personally

Bluebubble123 Mon 23-Oct-17 08:47:03

My ds 6 would love that

fucksakefay Mon 23-Oct-17 08:47:32

Sounds great! But I often bundle my kids up and make them go for winter walks. I'd invite parents to stay though some may feel you need more hands on help with the keeping track and getting changed bits.

OhOfCourse Mon 23-Oct-17 08:47:50

Forget the kids!! I would love that. Can I come purllleaseee grin

2014newme Mon 23-Oct-17 08:48:09

Fantastic, if you can keep them warm. Cold five year old get whiney

buttwingsham Mon 23-Oct-17 08:48:26

I would love it.
But then I love my kids being outdoors as you say as long as you tell them to wrap up it should be fine. I would be tempted to take a few spare jumpers/coats/gloves just in case any kids aren't wrapped up enough.
I did a riding party yesterday (in storm Brian!) for dd it was riding/stable care/ food the kids absolutely loved it only a couple had ridden before and they all had such fun.

Ploppie4 Mon 23-Oct-17 08:48:42

It’s a great idea joust tell everyone it’s an outdoor party and they need to be waterproof and warm with wellies. Expect to get dirty

What are the hay bales for? I envisage kids running/jumping on them and falling off on to your unit floor

drspouse Mon 23-Oct-17 08:48:50

Sounds amazing!

Wandastartup Mon 23-Oct-17 08:48:55

Sounds great. Lots of parents will probably want to stay at 4 turning 5 so you may want tea/ snacks for the adults too.

Caulk Mon 23-Oct-17 08:49:56

It’s great. I remember a friend doing something similar when we were about that age as she lived on a farm.

Will the children be used to being around animals? My last school had chickens and many staff were scared so I would take their classes out to feed them. I found with year 1-2 children that if one screamed they all screamed, which won’t be ideal for you!

Caulk Mon 23-Oct-17 08:50:51

Oh, and how accessible is it? My mum used a wheelchair when I was that age so thinking of any parents who would struggle with mobility whilst accompanying children.

NotTheDuchessOfCambridge Mon 23-Oct-17 08:51:08

My DS i would love to come, thanks for the invite. Please inbox me the address. Thanks grin

Talith Mon 23-Oct-17 08:52:30

My youngest had an outside farm party in November at a similar age. It was lovely although thankfully the weather was crisp and bright not pissing down. Sounds great x

CandyMelts Mon 23-Oct-17 08:52:30

Sounds brilliant!

elQuintoConyo Mon 23-Oct-17 08:52:43

Good lord - my child would LOVE that!

Could you include a parents' treasure hunt so they are encouraged to stay, extra eyes on children, yet participating in something not just standing like a numpty making small talk. I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Whitelisbon Mon 23-Oct-17 08:53:51

My dd had a party at my mum's farm for her 5th birthday. We invited the whole class, and had almost full turn out.
I told the parents to bring waterproofs and wellies, the kids loved it.
Most of the parents stayed, and they thought it was amazing too.
We did a treasure hunt, some general running about, a couple of games, and finished off outside with puddle jumping. Then went in for food and hot chocolate.

Fitzsimmons Mon 23-Oct-17 08:57:56

That sounds great, but certainly in my son's reception class there is an expectation that parents stay as well, so you might need to take this into consideration.

thecanaries Mon 23-Oct-17 08:59:57

Sounds really great.

My only concern is the canal and duck pond. My son is THAT boy that wanders off and investigates things he shouldn't.

I think you should have someone else there to also regularly headcount and the parents need to be made aware of canal so they can choose to stay if they prefer.

CuppaSarah Mon 23-Oct-17 09:03:33

I have a hot water urn and will have a parents hot drink station.

Good point about hay bales, they're for sitting on, so may push them up against the walls. I'm used to screaming 5 year olds and am surprisingly talented at preventing it. It's my only party trick, I've introduced kids to animals loads so I'm pretty confident I can manage it. We'll start with the birds in pens, see how they handle being around them, chucking food in and take it from there. I'm not risking the animals well being!

I'll definitely bring lot's of extra clothes and waterproofs. I have a load of wellies made from croc material I got for £2 so I bought them in every size. Dad has a massive collection of adult wellies and waterproofs too.

For the parents treasure hunt shall I replace tatty plastic jewellery with gin and chocolate coins with tonic water? grin leave the kids in the woods and we can all go have fun.

Really glad the general feedback is to go for it, not because I've been planning this party since I was pregnant or anything.

CuppaSarah Mon 23-Oct-17 09:05:58

Oh and my dad, his lovely girlfriend, my husband and his best friend will be there. But I get a very strong impression most parents will stay. If they bring siblings I'll force them to, with my scary, smiley, but forceful manner.

Haudyerwheesht Mon 23-Oct-17 09:07:33

My kids would love it . I'd definitely have some people to help though.

elQuintoConyo Mon 23-Oct-17 10:01:42

Perhaps have one person pay them to stand on the access to the canal and one next to the pond all day to prevent the Houdinis! Mine would wander off given half the chance! I'd watch him like a hawk but sureptitiosly - like from behind a fan or something grin

Ploppie4 Mon 23-Oct-17 10:17:23

Maybe put parents welcome.

mishfish Mon 23-Oct-17 10:18:50

Can I come? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now