Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Buying a matress

(13 Posts)
waitingforlifetostart Mon 23-Oct-17 08:07:48

I need a new matress as it's old and 'finished'. My back is in a bad way so want to get the perfect one to help with that. Last time I thought it was right and I lay on it etc but have spent years suffering as it's not right. How do you know what's the right matress?

Gunpowder Mon 23-Oct-17 08:10:15

Warren Evans (probably other makes too, just using them as we bought last two mattresses from them) do a try out/money back guarantee if it’s not comfortable. They aren’t cheap but I think sleep is important!

waitingforlifetostart Mon 23-Oct-17 08:13:49

What sort of price?

waitingforlifetostart Mon 23-Oct-17 08:15:48

Ah they're just London based.

littlebillie Mon 23-Oct-17 08:16:53

Just on the Hypnos and vispring search. I loved the Hypnos and the vispring did not suit me at all. We are going to land of beds to try out there. It depends how you sleep I or start sleeping which can determine the bed. Good luck with your search

littlebillie Mon 23-Oct-17 08:17:50

I also don’t like pillow top

Gunpowder Mon 23-Oct-17 08:20:52

Just googling and Emma mattresses do a 100 night trial too and got a Which Best Buy this year.

PJBanana Mon 23-Oct-17 09:09:34

There are a lot of these mattresses around now where you can try them for a few weeks for free and have them collected if you’re not happy - Casper, Simba, Eve etc. Might be worth a look.

wavesandwellies Mon 23-Oct-17 09:16:43

I got new one 3 weeks ago as I was suffering back pain from my old one. all the pain has now gone! I hadn't tested this particular mattress but my friend has the same one from dreams and whenever I've stayed over hers, I've always had the best night sleep.

it's a silentnight 1000 pocket sprung memory foam top. it wasnt cheap but well worth the money.

ebay do the same spec for about £100.

PickleFish Mon 23-Oct-17 09:27:18

all the ones I could find that had the hundred day try-out thing tended to be the memory foam ones, which I didn't want (fumes, temperature, etc).

I went to John lewis in the end; they didn't offer a guarantee, but did say that if you'd spent time properly checking them out and choosing, and then came back and said that you really weren't getting on with it, they might take them back and give you part refund towards another one. It might have been goodwill of the particular store, though. Worth knowing that in their sale - late Dec/Jan - they offer a new set of mattresses, basically one level up for the price of the usual one (so in their natural collection, which I got, the usual price for a 4000 would get you a 5000, and so on up the line; they were quite the same filling as the next step up ones, but had that many springs). I think I got one that was sort of middle-range of their natural collection one, and I'm quite happy with it so far. Think it was about £600, which is a lot cheaper than some they had available! Worth waiting for the sale though.

user1484313858 Mon 23-Oct-17 09:27:54

We've just bought an 'Emma' - had it for 10 nights so far. Would say it's about 6-7 out of 10 on the firmness scale. Our old (cheap) sprung mattress was ready for the bin. I have lower back/sciatic issues and have experienced no adverse effects. It definitely feels very different from a sprung mattress, even our old one with a memory foam topper. They offer 100 night free return, and there was also a £75.00 discount code when we bought ours the other week. Still adjusting to it but i'm 95% sure it's going to be good!

nocake Mon 23-Oct-17 12:50:24

We bought one from Button & Sprung which wasn't cheap but they offer a 100 day no quibble return and a ridiculously long guarantee. The mattress construction is almost identical to one in John Lewis so we tried that to get an idea of how it would feel.

BarbaraofSevillle Mon 23-Oct-17 13:13:04

We've just got a Leesa and are very happy with it.

From memory there's Leesa, Eve, Bruno, Caspar, The One by Made, Simba and Emma that are all more or less the same thing, although they don't all come in all the sizes (we were slightly restricted by needing one in an Ikea king size).

Most of these have three layers to overcome the 'too hot' problem and price-wise are much of a muchness (all had discount codes so if buying make sure you use one - ours was £590 so not bargain basement price but not as much as I'd feared when I saw the adverts making out like it was the best mattress ever.

It was cheaper than the Premier Inn mattress, which I'd previously looked at for example. I think they sell at least one of them in John Lewis if you feel the need to try before you buy. The others are all online, but all(?) do 100 day no risk trials.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now