Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Newborn feeding

(15 Posts)
asilikeit Mon 23-Oct-17 00:32:00

So I had a little girl on Friday and whilst I was happy to either breast or bottle feed she has made her demands very obvious. She latched straight on and hasn't stopped really so I'm going with it. With previous child they weren't interested and I didn't pursue it and went down bottle root.

Now I feel like I must be missing a trick- she has been attached to me since about 7pm solidly this evening, she unlatches herslef, I offer other side etc and repeat. Every time I think great il put her in her crib she won't allow it. Wakes up as soon as she's in there and starts rooting.

Co sleeping isn't really an option- I've had a section and I'm propped up on pillows etc to get comfortable. Do people just not sleep?!!! She just wants to lie with nipple in mouth or wrapped around boob .confused
Thanks

wetsnow Mon 23-Oct-17 00:39:04

Learn to feed laying on your side. This is how I was taught in hospital. Lay on your side and put baby at your breast then arm around her head. Then you can snooze.
Cluster feeding is a killer so make sure partner is bringing you food and drink regularly. If you can get through the next few weeks it gets easy.

wetsnow Mon 23-Oct-17 00:40:10

Oops missed the section comment. Sorry. You might have to try your oh rocking her for a few hours so you can sleep.

wetsnow Mon 23-Oct-17 00:41:15

What she's doing is so normal.. it's her way of finding comfort in this scary world. All she's know more is you and the cot is cold and lonely. You are doing a fab job.

Coldhandscoldheart Mon 23-Oct-17 02:50:06

Yes, it’s normal, but it does get better I promise!?
Lower your expectations (and everyone else’s) of what you might get done in the next few weeks, go on to survival mode & watch a lot of telly.

OhOurBilly Mon 23-Oct-17 04:09:46

Congratulations on your new arrival! flowers

Definitely what cold hands said. Just nest down and watch TV with the baby attached as much as possible. I ordered a six foot charger lead off Amazon, propped myself on the couch with pillows and stayed there. She's getting your supply established and it's a massive comfort to her. Do as little as possible. You're doing a brilliant job.

asilikeit Mon 23-Oct-17 04:38:15

Thanks for all the replies. I understand that it's normal and makes sense etc I think I'm just concerned as I do need actual sleep and she won't allow me to put her down at all. I don't feel comfortable with the risks of SIDS to sleep with her on me at all ( close experience via friends of this) . She won't go to husband if I feed her, only way she will is if he gives a formula top up and then I wonder why I bother trying to bf when she is happy on ff?! hmm

Leeela Mon 23-Oct-17 04:50:20

Apparently the second night is quite often the worst, though! Baba hardly sleeps at all. Then it starts to get better. Hang in there!

eeanne Mon 23-Oct-17 05:08:49

Breastfeeding is not just about food but also comfort. Baby has just left your body and nursing gets them close to you. She's not rooting out of hunger. This is the mistake a lot of new mothers make - they think this behavior means baby isn't getting enough milk, so they offer a bottle, milk supply doesn't establish, etc.

It's up to you if you want to continue BF or not but yes - in the first weeks it is very tough.

For sleeping - have you considered a co-sleeper cot like the Chicco or Snuzpod? Then baby is sleeping next to you but on a separate surface so it's safer from a SIDS recommendation perspective. We had great success with the Cocoonababy and I'm trying the Chicco with my upcoming baby.

Lozmatoz Mon 23-Oct-17 05:15:38

Normal.... sorry, it can be hell. It’s cluster feeding and should settle down after s few weeks.

asilikeit Mon 23-Oct-17 05:54:34

I had thought of one of the bedside cribs but not sure if that would help - she literally needs to be touching/ on me.

I'm hoping maybe this morning she may let me even have half an hour without screaming, which I just can't leave her like that even though I know she's totally fine and with her dad

user1471495191 Mon 23-Oct-17 06:01:58

Has your milk come in yet? I'm currently feeding my newborn. They also launched a crazy night long cluster feeding campaign on night 2 or 3 in order to trigger my milk supplies. Be warned this kickstarted my body's production in a major way and led to a few days of painful engorgement (frozen teatowels can be a good friend) but after your milk is in your LOs feeding should eventually start to settle into a more manageable pattern (until they have a growth spurt and your baby/body decides they once again need to up supply)

user1471495191 Mon 23-Oct-17 06:08:11

Just cross posted with your last message - I think it took up to 1/2wks before I got this new baby to settle in the bedside crib and away from me. It felt like the longest time at the time but now 2wks later I can barely remember it and we finally seem to have established a better sleep/feed balance. I know this might not help you now, but just to let you know that this will eventually pass and hopefully sooner rather than later!

eeanne Mon 23-Oct-17 07:22:59

asilikeit she's not even a week old. Things will change I promise. Don't tell yourself that if your newborn won't be put down now, then she never will.

Theducksarenotmyfriends Mon 23-Oct-17 08:37:41

I had a section too and feeding lying down really saved my sanity (I was v lucky though and recovered really quickly from the surgery so I empathise if this just isn't comfortable for you yet!). We had a side car type cot attached to the bed so I was also just able to sleep cuddle round her all night. In the v v early days though I just sat up with her feeding and just got naps in the day when my dp would carry her in a sling.

It's really tough but it's really very early days and you're doing brilliantly! I remember it all just being about survival at this stage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now