Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Night shift tips?

(7 Posts)
DownstairsMixUp Sun 22-Oct-17 23:08:45

Soo I’m a student nurse and am doing the first night shifts in a looooong time tomorrow. I start at 730pm tomorrow and work till 730am Tuesday. What should I be doing to get ready? I’m thinking stay up as late as possible tonight and try sleep most of the day when the kids are in holiday club? How does everyone else switch from day to nights shifts?

DownstairsMixUp Sun 22-Oct-17 23:23:34

Anyone ?

littleorange Sun 22-Oct-17 23:39:34

I stay up late the night before, get up late, then nap pre shift. I eat breakfast and dinner on the day but swap the content if that makes sense - eat a big meal for breakfast then something light before the shift

I think it’s worth saying even if you don’t sleep before a night shift you won’t die, so don’t get anxious if napping doesn’t work.

After night number one Im usually knacked enough to sleep through the day.

There are some good guidelines aimed at junior doctors - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0924/4392/files/working-the-nightshift-booklet.pdf?1709961806511712341

Good luck! smile

DownstairsMixUp Sun 22-Oct-17 23:48:43

Thank you that’s helpful. I can’t have an afternoon nap as kids will be home , I’m planning to sleep from around 6am till 3pm and hoping that covers any naps I should of had... I’m quite a good sleeper so hoping this works! The thing I’m dreading most is the drive home confused

omochie Sun 22-Oct-17 23:57:04

Lots of coffee!! (or alternatives if you're not a coffee drinker), the first night is always the hardest but like @littleorange said you're always tired enough to sleep after the first shift!

MooChops89 Mon 23-Oct-17 00:05:34

After a few years of night shifts I've settled on this routine: I'll go to bed as normal the night before, then get up earlyish and try to do something - food shopping, tidying etc - and go back to bed around lunch time and I'll stay in bed til 5. I'll get up and shower, have a normal tea and go to work. Bearing in mind this works for me, I don't have kids and not everyone can nap beforehand!

DownstairsMixUp Mon 23-Oct-17 00:14:11

Yeh that’s definitely what I’d do if I was childless! I only have Monday Tuesday and Wednesday but I’m dreading them for some reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now