Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why do teenage boys smell so?

(39 Posts)
JamesDelayneysTattoos Sun 22-Oct-17 22:30:50

My Ds is 14 and I have to wash his bedding like every 3 or 4 days.

He showers daily, wears clean clothes every day but when I open his bedroom door in the morning it smells so sweaty and horrible.

I’ve taken to hanging his actual duvet out of the window.

I do remember my older Ds went through this and now at just 20 it seems to have passed.

Is it just hormones? What do you guys do?

Am I just going to have to get a nose clip for the next 5 years

SerialChangerOfName Sun 22-Oct-17 22:33:29

I don't know but been wondering the same myself, and DS is only 10 shock

SongforSal Sun 22-Oct-17 22:36:03

Same. Mines 12. He bathes a minimum of once per day, twice sometimes. Clean clothes and bedding, yet his bedroom first thing smells like a musty armpit and damp mixed with a dead animal and farts. Totally grim.

letsdolunch321 Sun 22-Oct-17 22:38:55

Introducing mens deo helped my son when he reached this age (11) . Also sleeping with a window slightly open gave the room a better aroma

PurplePillowCase Sun 22-Oct-17 22:39:51

yep here too.
hamster cage smell in the morning. a not cleaned in weeks hamster cage...
incest prevention?

florapearl Sun 22-Oct-17 22:39:52

Testosterone!

Therealslimshady1 Sun 22-Oct-17 22:40:24

Haha, yes, a bit like goat smell grin

newtlover Sun 22-Oct-17 22:41:33

I had this with DS1, but it wasn't such an identifiable smell (ie not obviously sweat etc) - it drove me mad and I too was reduced to hanging the duvet outside etc. Thing was I was the only one who could smell it. I ended up taking the bedding round to a neighbour to sniff! But they couldn't smelll anything. It passed after a year or so. Then I read something somewhere (can't remember where I'm sorry) that said it's a specific mother/son thing- to encourage you to distance from each other sort of thing. Didn't seem to happen with DS2 - unless my nostrils had just been bludgeoned into submission by then.

HemanOrSheRa Sun 22-Oct-17 22:44:40

DS is 12 and his room smells exactly as you describe Sal grin. He showers at least once a day. Uses deodorant, clean clothes (sometimes changing twice a day). He doesn't actually smell if you sniff him. He just gives off a Boy Fug. Grim.

He had some friends over a while back. There were about 6 of them in his room. The stink was incredible. Almost knocked me on my arse when I poked my head around the door to check on them. Stinky beasts.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Sun 22-Oct-17 22:46:01

I was expecting a smell but it didn't arrive

With ds1 at least

I dont find ds2 very smelly either

Dd on the other hand ...fuck me she can be ripe

And i have a very good sense of smell

GetTheeBehindMeShatner Sun 22-Oct-17 22:46:37

One of my son's bedrooms used to smell like un-aired camping equipment. Every morning I'd get flashbacks to Guide camp confused. It was sort of earthy, but not in a good way, more dirty and foisty. It's passed now. I too was the only one who could detect it.

JamesDelayneysTattoos Sun 22-Oct-17 22:50:58

How interesting that it’s a mother thing because as some say, others in the family appear not to notice. I have always had a bit of a dog nose though.

Some of the descriptions above are priceless. And correct.

He uses deodorant and fragrance.

sleepingdogslying Sun 22-Oct-17 22:52:12

DD went to a boys school for 6th form . Based on her experience of entering classrooms after groups of boys, she is adamant that year 8 boys smell the worst.

TheQueenOfWands Sun 22-Oct-17 22:57:46

My 14 year old is quite fragrant.

Uses Radox shower gel, the Rock Hard range and Head & Shoulders shampoo.

Maybe that's the magical concoction??

youarenotkiddingme Sun 22-Oct-17 22:59:29

Ds has recently turned 13.

Along came the attitude and the stink!

I always open his window. He complains he's then cold <he's still wearing shirts/t shirt!>

I've bought him a dressing gown for Christmas!

newtlover Sun 22-Oct-17 23:01:23

the worst thing was that the smell would come out of the room- if you walked past it would roll out and hit you in the nose !

DeloresVanTropp Sun 22-Oct-17 23:06:14

Don't get me started. I really believe it's the pubic hair and arm pits (yuk)
Mine is 16 and its driving me bananas angry

starfishmummy Sun 22-Oct-17 23:09:43

I have one too. He's always been sweaty but particularly smelly...until this summer. He's disabled and needs help with washing...so I know he gets proper washes and a good amount of deodorant, clean clothes etc.

I was

Had to start washing his stuff separately or everything smells and sometimes twice. 😷

starfishmummy Sun 22-Oct-17 23:10:44

* but not particularly smelly unti this summer

PickAChew Sun 22-Oct-17 23:12:43

I have a disabled 13yo, too. I just hoy him into the shower as often as he'll tolerate.

PickAChew Sun 22-Oct-17 23:13:56

11yo is getting the stinky hair, he's not far off, too.

notacooldad Sun 22-Oct-17 23:16:44

I found it lasted a couple of years from once puberty kicked in and then it settled down.
It was hard work de ordourising school shirtsM

DeloresVanTropp Sun 22-Oct-17 23:19:15

TheQueenOfWands - I've tried something like that, concoction, no luck.
Now I have a plot to have him shave his pubes, but then again there's the hair.
Oh sweet Jeeeesus <secretly wishing I'd had a daughter instead> grin

hiddley Sun 22-Oct-17 23:20:42

Frogs and snails and puppy dogs tails. They just stink I think. They need to be washing twice a day, particularly their feet! Plus they are probably wanking which stinks to the high heavens (well it does to my nose anyway).
I recall as a teenager being particularly attracted to the boys who smelled nice and were well groomed.

DeloresVanTropp Sun 22-Oct-17 23:26:35

Can someone here tell me why he stays in the bath for 1 HOUR and sometimes twice a day? Do you think he's doing it? The thought of it is just revolting. He's still my child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now