Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do kids basic personalities change as they get older?

(21 Posts)
Kokapetl Sun 22-Oct-17 21:45:22

Just that really- if they are sensitive, active, outgoing, shy, curious, careful, stubborn etc as babies, toddlers and preschoolers do they keep these kinds of traits or can they change completely as they get older?

Mostly just wondering how my small DC will turn out and whether how they are now gives any indication whatsoever! What are your experiences?

nightshade Sun 22-Oct-17 21:50:30

Both mine are fundamenearly the same..

imip Sun 22-Oct-17 21:54:11

Well, my eldest is almost 11, and then 9, 7 and 5. They all have similar personalities as they did in nursery - all very different. Fascinating stuff, isn't it!

coffin Sun 22-Oct-17 21:54:51

My DS has remained exactly the same as he was when 1yr old! Watching, cautious, laid back, non risk-taking, quite detached. When about 3 yrs I always said he was such a cool cucumber he’d either end up in a very high pressured job or be an axe murderer!!

He’s a very laid back, no stress, everything tomorrow, non-huggy 20 yr old.

vdbfamily Sun 22-Oct-17 21:55:34

My experience with my 3 is they are pretty much the same as teenagers as they were as babies.

ownedbySWD Sun 22-Oct-17 21:56:17

Not really, no. I, however, have improved in how I handle my intense or highly strung child which makes things feel easier. It's been a lot of work.

Scabetty Sun 22-Oct-17 21:56:57

Both of mine are less chatty which isn’t a bad thing but basically the same.

May50 Sun 22-Oct-17 21:59:15

3 kids - very different one from the other- but their individual personalities have remained consistent from when they were very little.

AnyFucker Sun 22-Oct-17 21:59:45

Not in my experience

Witchend Sun 22-Oct-17 22:01:34

Some bits have changed, some haven't.
Eh one of mine as a baby/toddler was very careful, only did things if she thought she could do things, not particularly active, thought through things, very sociable, loved her food, liked things to be in order and put away in the right place.
They now are very careful only doing thing s they are confident about, not particularly active, think through things, takes a long time to warm up socially, hardly eats, and mess in the room has to be seen to be believed. grin

MomToWedThorFriday Sun 22-Oct-17 22:04:18

Not mine.
Eldest has always been difficult - self centred (beyond normal child related self centredness), argumentative, funny, hard-working, kind.
Second always laid back, placid, ridiculously empathetic, tendency to laziness, friendly.
Third also hard work, stroppy, cannot share but immensely loving, kind hearted, funny little thing.
Fourth is stubborn, independent, loving, kind, absolutely hilarious.

This has been them from around 18 months, eldest is 10, youngest 4.

Neverknowing Sun 22-Oct-17 22:17:29

Such an interesting thread!
I hope my baby is the same, she’s so lovely. She shares everything with me and is calm and huggy. If she’s the same, she’s going to be an amazing person 😍

lljkk Sun 22-Oct-17 22:35:17

Mine have changed enormously, comparing at say 1 yr or 5 yrs or 7 yrs to 14yo or 16yo or 18yo... but some things stayed the same, too.

EmeraldIsle100 Sun 22-Oct-17 22:52:52

Bizarrely and I hope you don't think I am exaggerating but my two aged 20 & 18 have the same personalities they were born with. One is wired and the other one easy going.

Both these characteristics were really evident when they popped out and started feeding. My DD wolfs her food down to this day and my DS is the slowest eater I've ever seen. She rushes in head first whilst my son measures the situation and cruises in.

It's not just a boy/girl thing, I have a lot of nieces and nephews who don't display this trend.

HeavenlyEyes Sun 22-Oct-17 23:35:35

Same basic traits but once shy clingy child has now blossomed into a confident adult, which is lovely to see.

didnthappeninmyday Sun 22-Oct-17 23:39:58

Mine are still there same as they were as toddlers and they’re now 16 and 13.

I believe your personality is genetic, I’m adopted and am a replica in looks and personality of my birth dad who I didn’t even meet until I was 38

emanon Sun 22-Oct-17 23:43:01

I maintain I could see my children's personalities (who are now teenagers) the moment they were born :-)

Wh1stles Sun 22-Oct-17 23:46:10

I don't think so. My son has got better at managing his emotions and my daughter has a bit more confidence in her own intelligence but they are fundamentally the same 'spirits' that I could see in there, even before they could SPEAK

ifcatscouldtalk Sun 22-Oct-17 23:58:48

Mostly the same traits at 13 as when a baby/ toddler/ preschooler.
Lively, on the go, very smiley, tendency to be impatient, great appetite smile.
The only thing I can see has changed at 13 is slightly more self conscious and enjoys a lay In at the weekend.

LittleHearts Tue 24-Oct-17 22:57:17

I don't think so.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Tue 24-Oct-17 23:00:17

Levels of confidence have changed, but fundamental personality is exactly the same.
I could tell my youngest's personality when I was still pregnant, I could just feel him... He's a bloody menace and always will be and I love him to death.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now