Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Talk to me about coffe machines...

(78 Posts)
HelloCanYouHearMe Sun 22-Oct-17 20:42:43

the ones with the pods.

Im after a machine that will make me a decent morning cuppa - quick, simple to operate and not overly expensive in terms of the machine itself or the pods.

Budget for the machine is around the £80 mark, ideally not more than £100 tops.

Leaning towards one of the Dolce Gusto machines - yeay? nay? something else entirely?

AlternativeTentacle Sun 22-Oct-17 20:44:36

£25 aeropress. bish bash bosh, no ridiculous pods and simple as fuck.

MiaowTheCat Sun 22-Oct-17 20:58:34

From the ones I've had -

Dolce Gusto - nicer hot chocolate, less nice coffee (lattes are my coffee of choice) - machine nigh on indestructible... ours was bought as a wedding present 7/8 years ago and is still going strong at my mum's house.

Tassimo - less nice hot chocolate, better lattes... machine more temperamental.

Haven't had a nespresso.

For all of them register with their websites and if you don't order online with them for a while they'll generally send you bigger and bigger discount codes if you hold out till you get a one that's nice enough for you to take up.

hugoagogo Sun 22-Oct-17 21:06:13

Dm has a sensio and loves it, it uses sort of coffee bags which I imagine are a bit better for the environment than the pod thingies.

Borntobeamum Sun 22-Oct-17 21:15:38

Dolce Gusto 5/10
Tassimo 7/10
Nespresso 9/10.

I had the DG for 2 years and had to stick it in the microwave each time as it was never just hot enough for me.

Tassimo changed the Milk pods and neither I or DH liked the sickly taste of the new ones.

Bought a Nespresso for £90 and Registered it online - this gave us £60 of credit to spend on Capsules. I honestly didn’t think I’d be able to tell much difference but Oh my words - I’m amazed!
So many to choose from and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed every cup.

BananaSandwichesEveryDay Sun 22-Oct-17 21:21:11

I have a Tassimo. I've been very happy with it and would replace like with like if I needed to. It's five years old, I use it several times each day and, as long as I clean and descale regularly, no problem. At the moment this is on offer -seems like a good deal to me and is within your budget.

CourtneyLoveIsMySpiritAnimal Sun 22-Oct-17 21:41:27

We had a Dolce Gusto but I like my tea and coffee scalding and it never got hot enough for me.

Also, the milk pods were rank. They tasted like sweetened UHT.

Henrythehoover Sun 22-Oct-17 21:44:21

I recently got a nespresso machine and I love it. It came with a milk heater/frother and its brilliant.

I had a tassimo before but hated it as I like strong coffee. Plus the flavoured stuff was naff.

ItsLeviosah Sun 22-Oct-17 21:44:41

We have a tassimo

The coffee is disgusting
The hot chocolate is ok

It’s been sat in the cupboard now for over a year

RandomUsernameHere Sun 22-Oct-17 21:49:48

We've got a Nespresso. I don't drink coffee regularly but find it quite good when I do use it. The milk frother is good for making babycinos for the DC! You can use generic pods with it that are cheaper than the Nespresso ones. No idea how much the machine actually cost though as DH bought it.

lalaloopyhead Sun 22-Oct-17 21:51:00

We had a Lavazza moda mio which I loved, but the capsules were quite hard to come by.

We recently bought the Aldi version of the Nespresso and its been brilliant. It was about £30 for the machine and it uses any nesspresso compatible pod so there are stack loads in the shops and online.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 22-Oct-17 21:53:23

Have had a Tassimo but felt the coffee tasted synthetic (when you used the milk pods). Bought a Nespresso about a year ago with the milk frother thing. It is infinitely better tasting than the Tassimo, tastes like proper coffee.

wowfudge Sun 22-Oct-17 21:53:38

The cheapest Nespresso machines are around the £80 mark. Not sure they are automatic - you may have to stand over them and press a button once the cup is full. You mightbe able to get a second hand or reconditioned better one for around that price.

NotEnoughCushions Sun 22-Oct-17 21:58:52

It may not be a popular opinion but I would keep hold of your money right now, buy some good instant coffee and save up for a good 'bean to cup' machine.

We have had a Delonghi machine now for years and it makes great coffee. You just need to buy beans and doesn't generate the 'pod waste' that the Tassimo/Nespresson machines do. You're also not tied in to any particular brand.

LEMtheoriginal Sun 22-Oct-17 22:00:52

We have a Nespresso but the pods are £££ also we drink espresso so don't know what it's like for others.

Then I bought a de longhi for £30 in a charity shop and it makes amazing coffee. Do makes it and I have studiously avoided learning how to use it but the coffee is much nicer. It does have a frother but it was a bit of a fail but we may not have been using it right. Best £30 I ever spent. About £200 New though.

Maelstrop Sun 22-Oct-17 22:03:53

I had a Lavazza which made amazing espresso. I now have a Tassimo in which I use L'Or pods. I only drink black coffee and that one is my favourite currently. I think a Nespresso is probably the ultimate, tho. I'd pay a decent amount for that.

loobylou10 Sun 22-Oct-17 22:06:43

Nespresso pixie. Used it every day for 3 years. We have a milk frother as well and heart milk on the stove to add to it. Perfect coffee every time. We love it.

iveburntthetoast Sun 22-Oct-17 22:10:06

Nespresso. Wouldn’t touch any of the others.

BahHumbygge Sun 22-Oct-17 22:11:43

100% agree with the Aeropress suggestion upthread. It gets excellent reviews and is very well regarded among the coffee geekerati, so much so that there are even international aeropress championships.

Add in a bodum milk frother and a decent hand grinder and you are already 10 x further ahead than spending the same amount on a mediocre pod machine, that you then have to spend £££ on for a crap cuppa. And the pods are made of composites and can't really be recycled, even though they claim to run collection schemes. With the aeropress, you just have one cup sized paper filter disk, that can be reused several times (or you can get a reusable metal filter).

iggleypiggly Sun 22-Oct-17 22:13:13

Nespresso hands down. It's decent amazing coffee. Better than any coffee shops!

BelafonteRavenclaw Sun 22-Oct-17 22:19:22

DH has had them all and loves his Nespresso machine. It’s been a running joke that he’s owned them all but he swears he’s sticking with the Nespresso.

HelloCanYouHearMe Mon 23-Oct-17 12:11:24

Thanks everyone - lots to think about here.

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Mon 23-Oct-17 12:39:52

Nespresso all the way. I don't mind paying extra for quality.

ArcheryAnnie Mon 23-Oct-17 12:46:48

Agree with those who say the Aeropress is the queen of coffee makers.

Uokbing Mon 23-Oct-17 12:50:23

Honestly don't bother. Buy a cheap cafetiere and coffee grinder, then nice coffee beans and make a much nicer cup of coffee that way.

Voice of experience here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now