Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Alcohol, which is the lesser of two evils?

(37 Posts)
monkeyfacegrace Sun 22-Oct-17 20:24:37

So I have a problem with wine. I'm working on it!

I have been easily drinking 4-5 bottles a week.

Usually wake with a dry mouth, big of a groggy head.

I'm on holiday at the moment and have switched to gin and slimline tonic. I bought a 35cl bottle, and I've had half the bottle in 2 nights, so the 35cl will last 4 days.

Is this a good swap or a bad swap confused

LapinR0se Sun 22-Oct-17 20:26:29

It's like for like really. If you want to cut down then just swapping to another kind of alcohol isn't really going to help

Dozer Sun 22-Oct-17 20:27:57

It’s still way too much booze. It’d be better to deal with your excess consumption / drink problem.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 22-Oct-17 20:31:25

So 14 units to a bottle?

It's a big improvement - if you're having 3 - 4 units a night instead of 10 in a bottle of wine... You're having 14 units instead of ~50!

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 22-Oct-17 20:32:14

Assuming you don't drink every night, of course!

Hassled Sun 22-Oct-17 20:32:14

You'll have to work out the units - it's the units of alcohol that matter, rather than the type of alcohol, and I can't do the maths (how many cl is a unit?). But I have noticed I sip G&Ts whereas I can gulp wine so a gin will last me far longer.

MaidOfStars Sun 22-Oct-17 20:32:48

Wine per week: 5 bottles x 750ml = 3750ml total volume. 3750 x 0.12 (12% ABV) = 450ml alcohol.

Gin per week: 350ml over 4 nights = 612ml over a week. 612 x 0.4 (40% ABV) = 245ml alcohol.

monkeyfacegrace Sun 22-Oct-17 20:32:56

Thanks she, that's the actual answer I was after.

Because of course I've never thought about having to cut down hmm

monkeyfacegrace Sun 22-Oct-17 20:35:01

Ah so I've halved my drinking. A win!

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Sun 22-Oct-17 20:36:21

Would you just drink that one bottle of gin in a week? If you did that, and had at least 2 nights off, then that's within limits I think?

How many alcohol free nights a week do you normally have? It's not always about the units, and a small amount every night is still harmful. Nights off are really important

MyBrilliantDisguise Sun 22-Oct-17 20:37:12

Have a think about whether you're drinking quicker because you're actually thirsty. I find alternating alcoholic drinks with water helps cut down.

Wolfiefan Sun 22-Oct-17 20:37:36

You still have an alcohol problem though? You need to seek help if you're drinking so heavily.
It's not about cutting down. You seriously need to stop.

Growingboys Sun 22-Oct-17 20:38:53

good swap. Gin hangovers much less worse than wine ones.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 22-Oct-17 20:41:18

Is the issue not that ultimately you will end up drinking the gin in an uncontrolled way?

Or is the question just related to this week?

monkeyfacegrace Sun 22-Oct-17 20:43:04

I seriously don't need to stop. I don't have an alcohol problem, I have a wine problem and drink it like water.

I like the feeling of the first drink when all the stress from the day seeps away. But with wine, I just won't stop until the bottle is gone. Same as I can't eat a cake without eating the whole thing. Part of my adhd, I'm an all or nothing person!

But with G&T I'm having the same feeling of a relaxing drink, but am happy to have weak ones with loads of tonic. And ice.

But I wasn't sure whether spirits were worse than wine.

Musicaltheatremum Sun 22-Oct-17 20:47:51

I now buy the 187.5 ml bottles of wine as I want them. So tonight I have had 2. If I had a whole bottle I would drink it.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 22-Oct-17 20:47:55

OK - did you always have that issue with wine or did it develop?

If it developed over time, you might find the same happens with gin

NC4now Sun 22-Oct-17 20:48:20

I find wine to be really more-ish. I think it’s the sugar content. I can have a g&t or two and leave it at that but if I open a bottle of wine I always finish it.
So I made that swap too. Far less calories in gin and slimline, and I drink less of it. Win.

Wolfiefan Sun 22-Oct-17 20:50:40

I'm sorry but drinking 5 bottles a week is getting on to 50 units a week. That's a problem.
Not being able to stop is a problem.
Having such awful hangovers is a problem.

RJnomore1 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:52:40

I'm the same with wine. I think it makes me thirsty too so I drink it more quickly.

G and t is a good swap calorie wise too.

I'm drinking wine tonight but I'm enjoying drinking different gins and mixers too.

Prictoriafeckam Sun 22-Oct-17 20:54:04

You are drinking less on holiday because of reduced stress. If you really have to finish every bottle of wine that you start then you must have a problem. Try a week or a month not drinking at all and see how much better you feel in the mornings and how much more useful time you have in the evening!

Dozer Sun 22-Oct-17 20:56:09

For example, being concerned about your wine consumption and stating you can’t control it, once you have the first glass, but seeking different ways to drink, suggests you have a problem.

monkeyfacegrace Sun 22-Oct-17 20:58:46

Okay, I have a problem. Received loud and clear.

And no, my stress isn't reduced on this holiday whatsoever. It's exactly the wrong time to be away and I shouldn't even be here. I always always drink more on holiday, bar no holiday ever.

Dr's aren't worried by me at all, and they are right on top of me due to other issues.

AnnabelFan Sun 22-Oct-17 21:03:39

I agree that it sounds like a sugar craving! Stick to the gin and tonic.

Dozer Sun 22-Oct-17 21:03:59

Do the doctors know how much you drink?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now