Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Flu Vaccine?

(20 Posts)
Ttbb Sun 22-Oct-17 20:12:47

I normally don't get the flu vaccine (not antivaxxer just lazy with good immune system) but apparently one of the strains this year is very bad (correct me if I am wrong). I'm thinking about getting for my children at least (would do myself at the same time if convenient) but I have no idea where to get one. Do they do them in boots or sonething? Don't want to go to private GP because it will cost a fortune and the local NHS GP seems to make a rule of not seeing patients.

LookImAHooman Sun 22-Oct-17 20:20:40

Yes, Boots do it, and Tesco, and many other pharmacies. Usually costs about a tenner, IIRC. You can book online with the big chains. Reminded me to go now and book for DH, thanks!

MissConductUS Sun 22-Oct-17 20:23:05

You are right about this being a bad year:

www.cnn.com/2017/09/03/health/australia-bad-flu-season/index.html

You and your kids should get it. Here in the States all of the pharmacies do them. Do you have urgent care medical offices? They do them too. If all else fails google Ttbb's town/village/region flu vaccine.

You might also ring your kids school tomorrow. I've read here that some schools offer it to children in certain grades.

Good on you for being on top of this. smile

TickledPurplePink Sun 22-Oct-17 20:23:14

Boots etc won’t do the children though. Easy to get one as an adult. Children from Reception to Year 4 get one at school this year.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:23:20

Some pharmacies can't treat kids, it's best yo check.

I had mine at asda for £5.

MissConductUS Sun 22-Oct-17 20:26:43

Right after I posted I saw this article linked to the right:

www.mumsnet.com/child/why-children-need-the-flu-vaccine

If you can, get the kids the actual injection, not the nasal mist. The nasal mist was taken off the market in the US this year after testing showed it to be almost useless compared to the jab.

EasilyDistracted77 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:26:49

It's not easy finding somewhere that will provide the flu vaccine for children (those outside the years treated in school) without having to pay a shocking amount, considering adults can get one for £10.

BelafonteRavenclaw Sun 22-Oct-17 20:28:01

I had mine at a Lloyd’s pharmacy in Sainsbury’s for £10 and I’ve heard Asda pharmacy are doing them for £5. My DS(5) has just bought a consent letter home from school for his. Our local doctors still have not had their batch in so I’ve been unable to get DS(2) booked in.

KeepItAsItIs Sun 22-Oct-17 21:48:42

DD, 6, had the flu spray at school. DS, year 5, isn't eligible because tbey only go up to year 4 and pharmacies won't do it. I've had it as I have asthma and get it done every year. I also work for the NHS and they urge everyone to get it. People in work who don't usually get it are doing so this year.

Kueh Sun 22-Oct-17 21:55:35

We got DSS (10) done at an independent pharmacy. Superdrug will do children over 6 Months but I couldn’t get an appointment until December so rang round until I found somewhere licensed to do under 18s. Could only get the jab though, not nasal spray.

MrsJayy Sun 22-Oct-17 21:59:56

I had mine through the Gp last week i heard it was a bad strain so suggested to the adult Dds to get it as dd1 has a public facing job and dd2 is at college it does no harm to get it imo

MissConductUS Sun 22-Oct-17 22:51:05

@Kueh

Could only get the jab though, not nasal spray.

You're lucky. The shouldn't be offering the nasal spray at all.

www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/s0622-laiv-flu.html

In late May, preliminary data on the effectiveness of LAIV among children 2 years through 17 years during 2015-2016 season became available from the U.S. Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Network. That data showed the estimate for LAIV VE [vaccine effectiveness] among study participants in that age group against any flu virus was 3 percent (with a 95 percent Confidence Interval (CI) of -49 percent to 37 percent). This 3 percent estimate means no protective benefit could be measured. In comparison, IIV (flu shots) had a VE estimate of 63 percent (with a 95 percent CI of 52 percent to 72 percent) against any flu virus among children 2 years through 17 years. Other (non-CDC) studies support the conclusion that LAIV worked less well than IIV this season. The data from 2015-2016 follows two previous seasons (2013-2014 and 2014-2015) showing poor and/or lower than expected vaccine effectiveness (VE) for LAIV.

Ttbb Mon 23-Oct-17 01:20:28

Thanks for the replies. I checked to boots website-do they only fonpeople pver 16?

Kueh Mon 23-Oct-17 06:56:52

When I called Boots, Asda, Sainsbury’s and Tesco none of them would vaccinate under 18s. Only Superdrug will and independent pharmacies will vary.

autumngold6 Mon 23-Oct-17 07:27:50

Does anyone know why babies/children under 2 years are not included in the vaccination programme?

Kueh Mon 23-Oct-17 08:04:06

Does anyone know why babies/children under 2 years are not included in the vaccination programme?

I asked the pharmacist and he didn’t know for sure but said it was likely a combination of not being able to afford to vaccinate everyone so only vaccinating the high risk, and potentially the vaccine not being as effective in under 2s. He also said that reception to year 4 are more likely to not have good hand washing skills so are more likely to pass flu on (although ime there’s not a magical shift to good handwashing in year 5 hmm )

Randomactofkindness Mon 23-Oct-17 08:15:43

I do private injection flu vaccines for adults and children over 12. I can’t get my 11 year old daughter done unfortunately. The Reception to Y4 is a rolling programme - so next year it will be Reception to Y5 and so on. They started it and will carry on (until the government policy changes wink ) until all children are vaccination throughout school.

bruffin Mon 23-Oct-17 08:23:11

*Missconductus* you figures are for the US
The uk has a different experience

bruffin Mon 23-Oct-17 08:40:22

From a link within the above link
"The US decision was made on the basis of research carried out by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which showed that the nasal flu vaccine was less than 3% effective in 2015-16. However, these findings are contradicted by research from the UK, Finland and Canada, which shows that the nasal flu vaccine in children gives a similar level of protection to the inactivated flu vaccine in adults. Research published by Public Health England from the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons shows that the vaccine prevented flu in more than half of the children who were given it. It also shows a reduction in flu cases in the population more widely, suggesting that vaccinating young children against flu also helps to protect others in the community.
It is not known why there is such a big difference between the US research and the UK research. JCVI will continue to monitor research into the effectiveness of the nasal flu vaccine, and keep the childhood flu programme under close review. In the meantime, however, the nasal flu vaccine is still recommended in the UK, on the basis of strong evidence that it helps to protect the health of both children and the wider population."

MissConductUS Mon 23-Oct-17 13:25:50

@bruffin - Interesting. Thanks for the additional data.

On balance, if there is conflicting data about the effectiveness of the nasal spray and unanimous data about the effectiveness about the effectiveness of the injected vaccine, I think I'd opt for shot for my kids. The nasal spray can be given to kids who have egg allergies, which is an important advantage.

@autumngold6

According to this, they should:

www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/infant-and-toddler-health/expert-answers/flu-shots/faq-20058448

but children under nine who are getting the shot for the first time also need a booster, so perhaps it is a rationing/logistics issue. If it were my infant, I'd find a pediatrician to provide the shot and the booster.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now