Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What did feeding mums do before smartphones?

(145 Posts)
MyOtherNameIsAFordFiesta Sun 22-Oct-17 19:41:03

Reading a thing earlier, it advised mums to turn off phones while feeding babies, to concentrate on the baby more. It said that we all got along fine until smartphones came along, but that now it's harder to bond well because mums are always distracted while feeding (it didn't mention dads, because it was in the context of breastfeeding, but I assume they're equally guilty).

I've read a few things on these lines. But, really, before smartphones were invented, did people just sit and stare at the baby while it fed? Because that seems to be what they're saying, but I can't imagine most people doing that. Surely people feeding babies have always used the time to read books/watch tv/ chase older children etc?

koalab Sun 22-Oct-17 19:44:26

I've had the same thought she. I've forgotten to take my phone with me grin

koalab Sun 22-Oct-17 19:45:00

She. Should be when.

iwouldgoouttonight Sun 22-Oct-17 19:46:39

I just watched a lot of telly!

kittytom Sun 22-Oct-17 19:46:51

Balanced a laptop on the side of the armchair/read/watched TV...

I think most mums are perfectly able to combine some internet surfing with staring at their babies. Most of us do a lot of this without an article prompting us to!

QueenOfTheSardines Sun 22-Oct-17 19:47:03

TV
Videos
Radio
Magazines
Reading
Crosswords?
Patience
Gaming with joystick?

I don't think I had a smartphone when DD1 was born 10 years ago and I watched star trek repeats while BF as far as I can remember.

I do think that the interactivity of the internet does suck your attention in a way that watching telly or reading doesn't. Although you get involved there's not the same immediacy somehow. I suppose TV used to be "now or never" so maybe that's not entirely true.

Themummy76 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:47:18

Read!

wheresmycake Sun 22-Oct-17 19:48:21

I didn't have a smartphone yet when DD was born. I read or watched tv. Reading was on a Kindle though cos I couldn't figure out how to hold a normal book and keep baby in the right place

Hassled Sun 22-Oct-17 19:48:43

I used to read Ceefax or Teletext. Avidly. So no difference really to staring at a smartphone. Or I'd read a book propped on the baby.

Foxyloxy1plus1 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:50:02

Watched TV, read a book, listened to the radio mainly.

ILoveUsernames Sun 22-Oct-17 19:51:08

I didn't have a smartphone when my ds was born 8 years ago. I usually just watched tv or read magazines when I was bf him

HateSummer Sun 22-Oct-17 19:51:27

I didn’t have a smart phone in 2007 when my dd was born. I didn’t even have a laptop. It was the most painfully boring thing ever feeding her. I sometimes watched tv, read a book/magazine. Looked at her a lot.
When ds and dd2 came along in 2012/2013 I had an iPhone and it was a lifesaver. I don’t know how I survived without one. I watched loads of box sets whilst feeding them, it was brilliant!

Nightscroller1 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:52:15

Reading and commenting on this while bf my LO blush

TractorTedTed Sun 22-Oct-17 19:53:04

I read a book.

Well actually, loads of books. Never managed to read as much since. It was brilliant!

Piratesandpants Sun 22-Oct-17 19:53:08

I mastered the art of sleeping (me) and feeding (him) at the same time.

hippyhippyshake Sun 22-Oct-17 19:53:08

I did the crossword or ate chocolate while watching recordings of 'Roseanne' . Those were the days. 😄

SpottyGecko Sun 22-Oct-17 19:53:34

Hahaha. That must have come from a man!

Yes, in early days stare lovingly and longingly at your baby as they feed. After a while though it gets pretty tedious no matter how much you love them. At 13 months old, I'd cry if I didn't have a smartphone / iPad for night feeds grin

Bratsandtwats Sun 22-Oct-17 19:53:51

Looked at my baby and talked or sang to them if we were on our own.

FadedRed Sun 22-Oct-17 19:54:25

I used to talk or sing to my baby, but appear to be in the minority here. They're only so little for such a short time, it seems a shame to want a distraction.

OstentatiousWanking Sun 22-Oct-17 19:54:36

Either talked to the baby or during evening cluster feeding had the telly on.

gamerchick Sun 22-Oct-17 19:55:17

Breastfeeding is how I got into the Xbox. My babies always fed for hours on end, why the hell would I want to watch that for hours? hmm

Ilovesliz Sun 22-Oct-17 19:55:39

ITV and chocolate biscuits.

Nonibaloni Sun 22-Oct-17 19:56:27

My mum maintains that she dutifully stared at my ear while I fed in near silence. She also said it took 20 mins every 6 hours.
I felt terrible guilt watching tv or on my phone. My friend set up little "nests" around her house with books, magazines, juice and cushion. She was a god to me.

CannotEvenThink Sun 22-Oct-17 19:56:57

My laptop screen and keyboard were covered in little fatty droplets of milk of course.

NapQueen Sun 22-Oct-17 19:57:15

New mums generally spend 24 hours a day with their newborn. If they want to play on their phones during a feed who is anyone to criticize that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now