Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Am I the only one winging it?

(53 Posts)
LastMangoInPeckham Sun 22-Oct-17 18:19:19

Working from home Fri afternoon and need to make an important call. Halfway through DC1 starts playing the flute, very badly. Dog starts howling. DC2 starts shouting "what is that terrible noise" and turns up TV full volume. DC3 starts to cry.

Ended up shutting myself out of the house in order to finish the call in peace, in the rain, in the garden in my socks.

Anyone else feel like they are only one step away from being exposed as an incompetent fool who is failing in the whole work/life balance 😂😂

notnowthough Sun 22-Oct-17 18:26:05

You are SO not the only person that has ever happened to!

ownedbySWD Sun 22-Oct-17 18:26:53

I think every adult is pretending they know what they are doing, in one degree or another. It shocked me when I came to this realisation!

cakesonatrain Sun 22-Oct-17 18:27:07

We are all just winging it! That's the big adult secret.

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Sun 22-Oct-17 18:36:07

Oh yes....proper winging it !!!! And have been my entire adult life !!!!

WineGummyBear Sun 22-Oct-17 18:38:59

Winging it here. Not always convincing either.

SpottedGingham Sun 22-Oct-17 18:39:22

I live thinking that one day, I'll be exposed as not really being an adult. Inside I'm still about 6 where the most important things in my life were my cat, my pippa dolls and Scooby Doo.

Not an awful lot has changed blush

overmydeadbody Sun 22-Oct-17 18:42:23

You are definitely not the only one!

In my twenties I thought I was the only one and if get caught out.

By my thirties I realised everyone we winging it and I embraced it.

Now in my forties I am proud of how well I can wing it grin

ZippyCameBack Sun 22-Oct-17 18:44:49

Now that my husband has retired, I've finally got cover for those moments when I need to pretend to be a proper, grown-up business woman. Previously I just had to use DVDs, bribery and threats to make them stay quiet when I needed to make a business call. I also often used to lock myself in the bathroom.
I still live in fear of being exposed as a total idiot who is failing at everything all at once.

nicknamehelp Sun 22-Oct-17 18:45:22

I stupidly answered my mobile hands free in the car once and the dc thinking it was daddy got v excited at saying hello - it was a business call

ladybirdsaredotty Sun 22-Oct-17 18:51:03

Oh god yeah. I remember answering the phone to my now-manager who was telling me i had got the job and going through formalities. Signal dropped on my phone (perfect timing) so i went in the garden. Then-2yo DD1 followed me out, and obviously promptly fell over. Screamed and cried. Then baby DD2 started crying, too, because DD1 was. I could hear my boss merrily continuing to speak, but i couldn't hear what she was saying. Had to phone her back and apologise.

I've just had DC3. It's not going to improve any time soon for me, is it? cake

evensmilingmakesmyfacehurt Sun 22-Oct-17 19:05:45

I was on a call on Thursday and my DS started playing with all of his toot toot and squealing along to their tunes.

I had to shut myself outside whereby my next door neighbour started using his leafblower.

I dropped off the call citing issues with my signal confused

LastMangoInPeckham Sun 22-Oct-17 19:41:05

This is making me feel better, thank you 😊

TheMasterNotMargarita Sun 22-Oct-17 19:42:50

Remember the guy being interviewed by BBC and his kids gatecrashing.....???

Acopyofacopy Sun 22-Oct-17 19:45:11

The Master beat me to it...
We’re all just winging it!

Loubilou09 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:45:43

If you are working from home, why are your children at home with you? Work/life balance is great but I think it's precisely this type of thread that puts employers off allowing people to "work from home".

I work from home and have done for 10 years but my children have gone to childcare for all of my working hours in that time. I don't see it as a option to work whilst also parenting...

Loubilou09 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:47:36

Edited to add, if it was outside working hours then great but somehow I dont think it will be....

BexleyRae Sun 22-Oct-17 19:48:55

I'm constantly waiting for a more adultier adult to come along and tell me what to do

oldlaundbooth Sun 22-Oct-17 19:54:11

Fake it till you make it.

Frouby Sun 22-Oct-17 20:00:00

I constantly wing it. Especially on the phone.

We run our own small business. Usually I just do paperwork and admin and dp deals with face to face stuff and phonecalls. Occasionally I get involved. Usually chasing money and negotiating or arguing with either MDs or quantity surveyors. I usually have to be at my laptop to do this which if I move it off the table the screen dies.

2 weeks ago arguing with a qs who is also an md, trying to look at multiple screens and workbooks/spreadsheets, understand his lovely irish accent and not sound too broad yorkshire so he can understand me, calm down a frustrated dp with hand signals and looks, while trying to keep ds (3) from kicking off to talk to his nan, stop the dog from pinching a roast chicken off the side, stop the boiled spuds from boiling over, the roast potatoes from burning while still keeping the Yorkshire puddings rising and find £3 for dd to pay the wheelie bin man as he knocked in the middle of it all. Which at least distracted the dog from the chicken as she set off like a dog possessed down the hallway.

Ffs. Dp had a g and t poured ready for me by the time I had done. And it's so often like that.

You can guarantee that while the house is quiet and calm no one calls. No emails need urgently sending. No important paperwork to so. The minute something is going on every single problem in the world happens.

Today it's my 40th. We had a few drinks past night. I felt a bit ropey. We have spent 3 hours going through paperwork with ds jumping all over the kitchen table and paperwork flying everywhere.

We are always winging it.

ZippyCameBack Sun 22-Oct-17 20:01:04

I work from home and have done for 10 years but my children have gone to childcare for all of my working hours in that time. I don't see it as a option to work whilst also parenting...
That assumes that childcare is both available and affordable. There simply isn't any in my area, so I can either work from home with the kids here part of the time, or not work.

RedastheRose Sun 22-Oct-17 20:01:38

Nope everyone is winging it at some time. Usually the people who come over as the most confident are the ones who are covering up for their own failings. I worked from home when I had my second DD and I frequently had to walk away from a screaming baby when the phone rang and leave her to scream until I'd finished talking to my client.

CustardOmlet Sun 22-Oct-17 20:03:24

I like to think I emite an air of competence and control, however it's quite clear to everyone one (my family, colleagues, the childminder, the bin men I run after with the bin) that I have no clue what I am doing. Really hope my children haven't noticed yet!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 22-Oct-17 20:08:45

* *That assumes that childcare is both available and affordable. There simply isn't any in my area, so I can either work from home with the kids here part of the time, or not work.

Sadly I’ve never worked anywhere that allowed working from home if you had childcare duties; but I’m glad they exist! I’ve often wondered what you’re supposed to do if childcare fails/your child is ill/you just have no option.

wonkylegs Sun 22-Oct-17 20:14:13

All the time. Started my own practice a few years back and always feel like someone's going to say 'ha we know you have no idea what you're doing'
It feels like a massive house of cards that won't take much to come tumbling down.
But I always get praise from clients and I've not had to advertise for business yet as I've got all my clients from word of mouth so I can't be doing as craply as I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now