Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Halloween party food - does everyone like pigs in blankets?

(14 Posts)
Textpectation Sun 22-Oct-17 10:01:04

Or vegan sausages / cheese?

I'm thinking of doing a really simple offering but plenty of it. I've done buffets, chilli, hot dogs, burgers and baked potatoes in the past but want to do something a bit different.

Pigs in blankets (or V/Ve alt), French bread or bread rolls. Ketchup etc for those that want it. I have fairy cakes, tangerines and apples for bobbing and ducking.

We'll have different people popping at different times.

I love pibs, tell me they aren't just for Christmas? Well, we also have them in Christmas dinner pie but anyway...

DancingHouse Sun 22-Oct-17 10:07:42

Yes everyone loves'em and what is the Christmas dinner pie you speak of?

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Sun 22-Oct-17 10:09:19

Christmas dinner pie?

Please tell me that's a full Xmas dinner with trimmings in a pie

pinkblink Sun 22-Oct-17 10:11:04

I need to know all about Christmas dinner pie....

Flisspaps Sun 22-Oct-17 10:12:55

It’ll be Christmas dinner leftovers with the addition of pasty.

Flisspaps Sun 22-Oct-17 10:13:14

PastRy

SoupDragon Sun 22-Oct-17 10:15:45

Not everyone likes them, some people are weird (nephew, I'm looking at you!) but I think they are generally well received. DS2 recently pronounced them the best thing ever (he's 16).

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 22-Oct-17 10:15:58

Pigs in blanket - a chipolata wrapped in a piece of bacon, with a piece of French bread and a tangerine? I would not be impressed, sorry!

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Sun 22-Oct-17 10:19:32

I'd be impressed, others nothing a pig in a blanket wouldn't inhance.

Textpectation Sun 22-Oct-17 10:50:10

It's not one chipolata, a slice of French bread and a tangerine. It would be a massive platter, possibly some kept warm in the oven.

My friend is making Halloween themed cakes. I'm not keen on frosting so they are iced fairy cakes which I'll put on a cake stand with string lights. It will be bountiful just not a large selection.

Christmas pie dinner is something we have for Sunday dinner the last weekend in January. It is massive - it stars pigs in blankets and also has turkey, ham, stuffing. It's a mixture of bechamel and regular gravy for the sauce. Shortcut for the bottom, all butter puff for the top.

MrsHathaway Sun 22-Oct-17 10:58:06

Pigs in blankets are great, but not as the only thing.

We're doing Christmas dinner sausage rolls: making up the filling with turkey mince and cold sage and onion stuffing squished together, then baked into puff pastry with a generous dollop of cranberry sauce.

LoniceraJaponica Sun 22-Oct-17 11:00:25

Will there be any vegetarians there?

MrGrumpy01 Sun 22-Oct-17 11:00:39

Of course you can serve a whole dinner of pigs in blankets. It would be like a little bit of heaven on a plate.

Textpectation Sun 22-Oct-17 11:06:51

Dunno about vegans/vegetarians. I'd get vegan sausages and vegetarian cheese. We have jam in?

DH loves sausage rolls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now