Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

NDN dog continues to destroy me!!

(53 Posts)
outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 18:37:37

I can’t find the old post to link to, but it basically goes like this...

Neighbours out 8-6 weekdays, varies at weekends (can be 12+ hours). Dog barks for the whole entire time!

Lots and lots of complaints from everyone in the street means that they now lock the dog in the bathroom. So instead of everyone seeing him jump against the front window all day, and me hearing it throughout my whole house; it is now locked in the bathroom at the back all day, with me still hearing it thought it my whole house, but the other complainers can’t hear it now.

Been through all the diary keeping with the council. They say the next step is to install recorders but this will be months as there is a waiting list. Then more months if there’s evidence to go to court.

Both the council and I have spoken to the letting agents and landlord. No changes made.

I’ve contacted the RSPCA, who say that they can only break in if we have evidence the dog is coming to harm or if it was left more than 24 hours. I can hear the dog banging his body/head against the door/wall but this isn’t enough?!?

I’m on to hour 7 so far today, no sign of it stopping. They stay out til midnight a lot of weekends.

I just want to be able to relax in my own house. I want to come home and sit in the quiet. It’s driving me mad.

TeaAddict235 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:53:23

Sorry that you are going through this, I had a similar affair. How long has this been going on for? Can you look into moving?

outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 18:55:01

It’s been going on since last May, so about 18 months.
I own, houses don’t sell around here and I wouldn’t want to move really. They rent.

outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 18:55:30

How did you solve it TeaAddict?

SavoyCabbage Sat 21-Oct-17 19:00:32

God that’s horrible.

I’ve reported someone to the RSPCA and I didn’t even know their last name or their address but the RSPCA tracked them down and went round so I’m surprised they won’t do anything for this dog.

caroldeckershair Sat 21-Oct-17 19:02:15

That’s horrible.

I called rspca once and they were useless.

Have you spoken to them? To their face?

loobybear Sat 21-Oct-17 19:04:38

How have the neighbours responded when they have been spoken to about it?
Would they respond well to a discussion if it's framed more around being concerned about the dog being distressed when it's on it's own rather than them feeling reprimanded for it? If you haven't already I would try speaking to them in a friendly way, or even writing a gentle letter, and saying something along the lines of "How's dog doing? I wanted to speak to you about them as they seem quite distressed when left in themselves during the day. Just thought I'd let you know as I know I would want someone to tell me if it were my dog and you may not be aware as it's obviously when you're not around. My friend's dog had a similar issue and they said that [insert local dog trainer here] was fantastic at helping them to work on the dog's separation anxiety."
obviously from what you've said the council have likely spoken to them already but if you haven't spoken to them directly or they don't know you were one of the neighbours who had an issue I would try this. If they care at all about their dog then they will want to help it if they think it's because the dog is distressed and has separation anxiety rather than thinking it's just being noisy for the sake of it.

outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 19:04:41

Oh if I could link my old thread you would be able to see all the stories. The highlight being when said dog got in my house through the cat flap and was sitting inside when I came home from work...she huffed and puffed and complained and took her time when I asked her to come collect it.

Everyone in the street has told them face to face. They just glare and walk past. Same as when I ask their feral kids to stop throwing pebbles at my car or to stop running round my drive throwing things around.

loobybear Sat 21-Oct-17 19:05:18

Or else if they rent could you speak to their landlord?

outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 19:06:53

Both the council and I have spoken to the landlord. Doesn’t seem to do anything.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 21-Oct-17 19:08:13

Poor dog sad angry

Yes your other neighbours are probably blissfully ignorant now . They cannot hear him. Doesn't mean he isn't living a hellish life.

I have dogs next door they drive me demented (not as bad as your NDN dog though) I have knocked a couple of times, got a very handwringy "Oh dear" once , a mouthful the next time.

in your shoes I would record it myself (on my phone ) knock on your NDN door and tell them This is what I have to listen to all fecking day
Best effect would be 6am on a Sunday.

Or my old trusted method of the vacuum cleaner switched on against the skirting board of the wall adjoining their bedroom. (Again 6am is good. Tell them you have to vacuum up glass if they get the hump)

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 21-Oct-17 19:09:37

Oh yes I remember your thread . Feral kids and little yappy dog.

Poor little thing . Hopefully it shits all over the floor !

outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 19:09:51

Unfortunately 6am would have very little effect as the feral brats have been running round screaming and banging for a couple of hours by then...

TeaAddict235 Sat 21-Oct-17 19:10:08

We ended up moving eventually. We found it unpleasant and the owners were very dismissive. Can you try playing loud classical music from the room that faces the dog? It can sometimes calm the dog down. Or using incense garden (mosquito) wicks which also have a calming effect.

outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 19:11:10

It probably does shit all over the floor. But the poor thing is in there with its own mess then for hours. I feel really quite sorry for it. It’s clearly so distressed all the time.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 21-Oct-17 19:11:26

You can't knock them up at 6am anyway they don't answer do they?

If they're out all day who looks after their DC when they come home from school etc?

outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 19:13:52

No they never answer the door, even when they have parcels for me hmm. (I mean, you’d just tell the postman no wouldn’t you?!)

I don’t know the details but they all go out and come home together. Wraparound type care maybe, or she takes them somewhere before or something.

Hateloggingin Sat 21-Oct-17 19:15:05

Can you phone the landlord on the hour every hour to complain? Maybe that would make them understand?

RubaDubMum89 Sat 21-Oct-17 19:20:22

Can you install a recording app on your phone and maybe leave it next to the wall with the bathroom on the other side then send it to the council/rspca/landlord?

outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 19:23:06

They all believe me, that’s not the issue. The council need the recording on their own devices to make it proof for court.

outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 19:23:29

It just feels like no one actually has any power to enforce anything.

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Sat 21-Oct-17 19:23:36

I knows it’s wrong but I’d be tempted to call the rspca and lie saying it’s been over 24 hours it’s clearly neglect

outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 19:25:55

Do you know, the thought has crossed my mind. With work yesterday and going out today, it’s been alone for 18 out of 36 hours. And that’s pretty normal. Poor dog.

Lozmatoz Sat 21-Oct-17 19:26:30

Report them to rspca, this is animal cruelty and a criminal offence

outgrown Sat 21-Oct-17 19:29:38

RSPCA says it’s not cruelty if he has water, and if it’s under 24 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now