Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What can live in this tank?

(21 Posts)
CustardOmlet Sat 21-Oct-17 18:33:41

This is my now empty tank, it measures 40cm x 20cm x 20cm (not sure how many litres that makes it) and I want to put something in it again. My goldfish lived in there for the last 13yrs but he’s sadly passed away. I am now aware this was apparently not a big enough tank for him, plus I have a hunter cat, so another fish is a no. Also ruled out cockroaches as they are noisy and will annoy the dog. I was looking at stick insects but not sure if it’s big enough for them.

Any one got any suggestions of what would be comfortable in here?

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 21-Oct-17 18:37:26

A spider.

Smeaton Sat 21-Oct-17 18:50:51

Turn into a reef aquarium. Some of them are gorgeous to look at

CustardOmlet Sat 21-Oct-17 18:51:01

Any particular breed? Ideal want something I can get out and interact with DS (4).

MrsZB Sat 21-Oct-17 18:51:47

Giant snails?

CustardOmlet Sat 21-Oct-17 18:52:16

I thought those would need a big tank, I wouldn’t fit many coral in them. And do they need tropical water?

CustardOmlet Sat 21-Oct-17 18:53:34

MrsZB I liked the idea of snails, but again wasn’t sure if the space would be big enough for 2.

FurryDogMother Sat 21-Oct-17 18:53:56

African Giant Land Snail - I acquired one last week, and they're fascinating, and also low maintenance smile

FurryDogMother Sat 21-Oct-17 18:54:16

Eek, don't get 2, unless you want 200...

midnightflowers Sat 21-Oct-17 18:55:57

Stick insects, praying mantis.

MrsZB Sat 21-Oct-17 18:56:26

Ooh you could hatch butterflies in it next spring?

CupofBeans Sat 21-Oct-17 18:58:25

Terrapins? Not sure if it’s big enough though.

Bonkerz Sat 21-Oct-17 19:00:33

Definitely big enough for a Giant snail. Small layer of soil and some plant pots plus a heat mat on outside would be perfect. Spray daily to wet soil and feed salad and veg!

CustardOmlet Sat 21-Oct-17 19:01:01

My other question is where do you buy these exotic creatures? Is it normal to buy them online?

CustardOmlet Sat 21-Oct-17 19:03:26

I was put off by the snails as a friend was looking after one and it died and stank, but feel like this was a one off event! So just one, needs a heat mat, any other special needs?

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 21-Oct-17 19:07:24

Giant snails are very easy to look after they need soil, plants and a heat mat and need to be kept damp. Only get one as they are hermaphrodites. Ours was a bit stinky though.

FurryDogMother Sat 21-Oct-17 19:08:35

Snails need to be kept moist, so a spray bottle of water does the trick. They need substrate in the bottom of the tank, and maybe some sphagnum moss on top of it to keep the moisture in. They eat most vegetables, mine seems to like lettuce and cucumber best. A shallow bowl of water in the corner of the tank should be provided, too, but not so deep that your snail could drown. They need a source of calcium, like cuttlefish, and that's about it. A weekly bath, and a thorough clean out every 3 weeks or so. I'd recommend getting a less than huge one to start with - they can live up to 10 years, so with a small one you have an idea of how old they are.

Mine arrived unexpectedly after a friend ordered what she thought was an ingredient for stew, and instead turned out to be four very large, very live, snails smile I'm on a steep learning curve!

CustardOmlet Sat 21-Oct-17 19:10:54

Just a thought, can a stick insect live with a snail? Or would the snail think the SI was food?

CustardOmlet Sat 21-Oct-17 19:12:50

Thanks Furry that’s lots of helpful info.

Soubriquet Sat 21-Oct-17 19:14:19

How about an orchid mantis?

I had one and she was awesome. Definite female too.

You can order a lot of these type on eBay funnily enough. Not as pets but as food

CustardOmlet Sat 21-Oct-17 19:33:44

Those orchid mantis are beautiful! Why would you want to feed that to anything?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now