Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Scottish £20 notes

(42 Posts)
CMH123 Sat 21-Oct-17 16:54:05

Random question of the day, does anyone know if Tesco or Sainsburys in England will accept scottish £20 notes for diesel and groceries?

Thank you!

LindyHemming Sat 21-Oct-17 16:55:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CMH123 Sat 21-Oct-17 16:57:05

Fair enough!

Thanks for replying.

Migraleve Sat 21-Oct-17 16:57:35

Of course they will.

QuestionableMouse Sat 21-Oct-17 16:58:13

We take both where I work.

Ginkypig Sat 21-Oct-17 16:58:48

My personal experience is it's always a bit of a gamble no matter where or how big the shop is.

I will say though bigger shops are much more likely to take Scottish notes and although I have had notes refused I have had much more accepted than refused.

My feeling is it's not the shop but the person if that makes sense.

LindyHemming Sat 21-Oct-17 17:00:25

SunnySomer Sat 21-Oct-17 17:00:53

It’s totally down to the individual, as Ginky said. Lots of people on checkouts aren’t aware they’re legal tender and don’t want to risk their jobs.

OlennasWimple Sat 21-Oct-17 17:02:57

Some will, some won't.

Depends on how confident / bolshy you are prepared to be. I'd reckon most petrol stations would take the note rather than no payment when the petrol has already been dispensed, particularly if the customer handed over the note in the expectation that it would be accepted and was prepared to argue that it's legal tender and it's take it or leave it...

TheHobbitMum Sat 21-Oct-17 17:14:08

I will happily accept them at my checkout (aldi), it seems to be smaller individual shops are unsure of them. Bigger supermarkets shouldn't be an issue though

MaderiaCycle Sat 21-Oct-17 17:24:31

Stick them in the self service till if you can't get rid. The further north you are the easier it is to use them.

Huskylover1 Sat 21-Oct-17 17:26:20

Yes they do.

ratspeaker Sat 21-Oct-17 17:37:36

It varies.
I've used Scottish notes only to have them refused next time. Its irritating.

I always ask first. Its one of those odd things , you are offering to trade, they can refuse to accept ANY bank notes if they want( including English)

When Im visiting England I tend to withdraw money out the atm down there.
A bank should be able to use exchange them.

Im carrying a Scottish pound note in my purse to see the reaction...

TheKidsAreTakingMySanity Sat 21-Oct-17 17:39:49

I've never been refused. There was a little confusion once when being served by a young lass in Blackpool who didn't know about the Scottish plastic fivers yet. But tbh we were still unsure about them too 😂

Herja Sat 21-Oct-17 17:44:52

I had a Scottish fiver it took me a month to use in the south west. Next time I go, I am strongly considering getting a few pounds notes to see peoples faces when I proffer them back down south...

Blankiefan Sat 21-Oct-17 17:46:56

sorry it's Michael McIntyre

LindyHemming Sat 21-Oct-17 17:48:40

iismum Sat 21-Oct-17 17:52:36

I regularly use Scottish notes in England and I haven’t had one refused for years. I’d be very surprised if you had a problem.

SportyBobster Sat 21-Oct-17 18:12:43

This is one thing that annoys me so much!

I hate when English shopkeepers act like you're trying to pay with Monopoly money!! 😡

In my experience Skegness and London are the worst!!

Pootle40 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:21:53

......and yet no shop here in Scotland refuses the Bank of England notes.

x2boys Sat 21-Oct-17 18:24:00

They should but I used to have a boyfriend who was a submariner at faslane every time he came to visit with his Scottish notes he had a problem confused

NotExactlyHappyToHelp Sat 21-Oct-17 18:29:36

I work in the cash office at a large chain supermarket (the clues in the name) and we accept all Scottish and Northern Ireland notes. If it’s sterling we take it.

MexicanBob Sat 21-Oct-17 18:54:06

Good luck with Scots banknotes anywhere south of the Thames. Most places would probably refuse them on sight.

MexicanBob Sat 21-Oct-17 18:56:57

Pootle the problem is that Scots banknotes are issued by banks most English shopkeepers have either (a) never heard of or (b) think have gone bust.

MrsMoastyToasty Sat 21-Oct-17 19:29:55

Yes they should do. When they are banked in english banks then they get "repatriated " to Scottish banks.
(I have worked for an English branch of a Scottish bank)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now