Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Things predominately used by women that appear not to have been designed by women

(271 Posts)
pastabest Sat 21-Oct-17 16:17:05

Inspired by the Aldi thread,

Someone mentioned that the trollies that you put the car seat on clearly weren't designed by a short postnatal women. I thought that EVERY SINGLE time I used one when DD was little. Equally the bucket seat ones that ultimately gathered rain water in the bucket.

It also reminded me of a baby change I have to use regularly in what is a very male environment, it's been installed at almost the height of my chin and is tricky to use. I suppose I should be grateful there is even somewhere to change a baby there (other similar venues don't have anywhere) but still, a but of foresight to think that the average woman isn't 6ft tall shouldn't have been that difficult! It's in the ladies toilets so clearly they aren't expecting men to use it.

See also toilet cubicles which are too small to properly fit a sanitary bin in so you either can't close the door properly or end up half sat on the side of the bin.

It's become so much more apparent since I had a baby just how much 'society' is set up for the convenience of men rather than women.

it's annoying.

TillyVonMilly Sat 21-Oct-17 16:19:20

Women’s toilets, full stop! Never enough in any venue.

DaemonPantalaemon Sat 21-Oct-17 16:21:28

Absence of hooks behind doors in public toilets. Where do I hang my bag, or, in winter, my coat?

FloweringDeranger Sat 21-Oct-17 16:21:47

Before anyone else jumps in: what about women's shoes? Who decided that only ballerina pumps or bloody stupid ankle-turning court heels could be considered 'smart'?

Not that I wear them - I usually have to be on my feet a fair bit, but it annoys me that sensible styles aren't considered as office wear.

iamghosted Sat 21-Oct-17 16:21:58

High Heel Shoes

They ducking hurt.

Men's shoes are always comfortable.

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 21-Oct-17 16:23:13

Most items of women's clothing... Why do trousers often not have pockets?

Nightmanagerfan Sat 21-Oct-17 16:23:26

Yes to women's toilets! Especially in older buildings such as theatres or museums where the architect was almost certainly a man with no regard for the fact women take longer to use the loo. Drives me mad.

I did rather enjoy a lady at the theatre once who highjacked the men's loos and ushered women in there so we could all have a Wee before the second half!

QueenLaBeefah Sat 21-Oct-17 16:23:50

All my kirtchen cabinets were clearly hung by someone well over 6ft. So frustrating.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 21-Oct-17 16:26:35

Yy to women's toilets.

Scented panty liners - invented by Satan himself.

Graphista Sat 21-Oct-17 16:26:36

Women's toilets - never enough, never big enough, lack of hooks, what I REALLY hate is in some places the ladies is on a different floor to ground floor, upstairs or basement, when the MENS is on the same floor as the main activity - notice this in restaurants a lot! Women are more likely to have babies or small children with them.

Just Aaaaarghh!!!!

Sorry but high heels were originally designed for men.

Graphista Sat 21-Oct-17 16:28:43

Yes to kitchen cabinets too, dd is v tall but I've had to arrange so it's only her stuff on top shelves angry

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 21-Oct-17 16:30:19

The system by which badges in Scouts need to be sewn on the sleeve of uniform and then removed and sewn onto the next uniform up. Maybe not technically for women but I imagine it is mainly women doing the sewing.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 21-Oct-17 16:36:05

Surely that's for the Scouts to do themselves?

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 21-Oct-17 16:41:12

I'm thinking of the transition from Beavers to Cubs. He is hypermobile so can't even put lego together leave alone sew a badge.

Pissedoffhadenough Sat 21-Oct-17 16:45:02

Public loos are installed too high, so short people often can't put their feet flat on the floor and end up dangling. It's actually very unhealthy to do poo with your legs dangling, after all humans were really designed to squat. I'm sick of loos being installed at male height.

Hedgehoghogger Sat 21-Oct-17 16:51:06

Graphista - yes to the female toilets!! Drives me mad.

LindyHemming Sat 21-Oct-17 16:59:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ginkypig Sat 21-Oct-17 17:02:59

Some of you will understand this

Being female in a designed for men world but also being left handed!

MyDobbygotgivenasock Sat 21-Oct-17 17:05:05

Medicine - "what do you expect after having a baby?" um...my insides to be on the inside.
Periods hurt/it's just hormones/any variations on just deal with it, women's bodies do that.

OlennasWimple Sat 21-Oct-17 17:06:17

Toilets

Scented liners

Washbasins that accumulate water on them so you get soggy when you lean forward to the mirror to do your makeup

Baby carriers that are too heavy and cumbersome for most women to carry for any length of time, particularly post C-Section

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 21-Oct-17 17:08:15

Hormonal contraception.
Scented towels and tampons.

MyDobbygotgivenasock Sat 21-Oct-17 17:09:32

Ginkypig Yes!! Drives me mad sometimes. I felt that I would be dextrous enough to spanner the helpful man in B&Q who pointed out the nice sets of pink or flower patterned screwdriver sets I might prefer for 'light Ikea assembly', not entirely related but you just reminded me.

RidiculousDiversion Sat 21-Oct-17 17:10:00

Baby carriers that are too heavy and cumbersome for most women to carry for any length of time, particularly post C-Section

Yes! So many slings are designed for broad-shouldered, tall men. And then women find them uncomfortable. Of course they bloody do! It took me ages to realise that basically all mainstream carriers had the shoulders set too wide apart for me, and that I could carry all day if only I had the right carrier that actually fitted me.

BeyondNoone Sat 21-Oct-17 17:12:50

A specific one re toilets - why put the toilet in the middle of the cubicle so the period bin is rammed into one side with a great empty space on the other side?!

pastabest Sat 21-Oct-17 17:13:25

Reminds me of this story from a few weeks ago

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/pram-pushing-mum-wet-herself-13759815

I've driven home a number of times desperate for the toilet after deciding it's not worth grappling with the awkward turnstile toilets with a pram.

Speaking of prams why are they rarely designed to be easily folded with one hand whilst holding a squirming child and a pile of shopping.

Our local shopping centre has also installed bollards at the top and bottom of escalators to prevent people getting on them with prams (fine they should use the lift it's much safer) but as a consequence it's now also a struggle getting on to them laden with bags or holding a small child's hand.

A local large nationwide store has put all of the women's clothes upstairs on a mezzanine level accessed by stairs. Yes there is a lift but it's tiny and slow. I don't go in there anymore if I've got the pram. Their loss I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now