Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Nice white wine

(35 Posts)
MrsGoToBed80 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:45:08

Can anyone recommend a really nice white wine for me? For drinking not a meal so not to go with a specific food.

I've got a £30 voucher for a local wine merchants as a gift to spend so I'd like to try something new. I know nothing about wine, except I've never found a red I've liked so that normally I buy and enjoy whites. I'd usually buy a NZ Sauvignon Blanc or a Chablis from either M&S or Sainsbury's at around £7-10 maximum a bottle. I don't drink often so when I do it's a treat.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 21-Oct-17 14:47:03

I love Lindermans.

insancerre Sat 21-Oct-17 14:47:42

My favourite white wine is Sancerre
I too normally drink a NZ Sauvignon blanc

BBCK Sat 21-Oct-17 14:50:02

For something different, try a Gaillac, or for something full-bodied a Viognier. Both are French and you will find better quality st a reasonable price at a wine merchant rather than a supermarket

confusedandemployed Sat 21-Oct-17 14:51:02

Go to the merchants, tell them what you like. They will be able to recommend something in stock.

HorlicksBunny Sat 21-Oct-17 14:51:25

I'm not at all knowledgeable but atm I'm rather partial to French white wines, particularly Pouilly Fumé, Sancerre or a Chablis (no particular brand)

NZ wines we often but Villa Maria sauvignon blanc, so so so delicious and easy to drink! We used to buy Cloudy Bay, but we found it too pricey for everyday drinking.

Almostfifty Sat 21-Oct-17 14:51:37

Marlborough NZ Sauvignon Blanc is the best IMO. Hunters, Babich or Stonewall are my absolute favourites from there.

Sancerre is gorgeous if you fancy something different.

HundredMilesAnHour Sat 21-Oct-17 14:52:45

Since you like Sav Blanc and Chablis, I'm sure you'd enjoy St. Veran. Delicious!

But I'd suggest having a chat with your wine merchant and getting their recommendations. Difficult to suggest anything too "non-generic" without knowing what your wine merchant has!

GingerLemonTea Sat 21-Oct-17 14:54:54

I like Villa Maria & Oyster Bay. Both around the £10 mark.

2cats2many Sat 21-Oct-17 14:58:59

For red wine, why not try a pinot noir. It's light and fruity. Very nice for drinking on its own.

Longdistance Sat 21-Oct-17 15:00:25

Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc is nice.

I second Chablis, Pouily Fume, Sancerre.

newmumwithquestions Sat 21-Oct-17 15:01:47

Ask the wine merchant. If they're an independent they should know their wines and come up with something lovely for you!

I love a NZ Sauvignon but for example am not so keen on Sancerre (it's ok, but i prefer something crisper) and Viognier is one of very few wines I really dislike, so I think wine choice is so personal it's hard for anyone else to choose.

Carebear1357 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:02:10

Jacob's creek suncraft is beautiful

KatharinaRosalie Sat 21-Oct-17 15:02:20

What about a Pinot Gris from Alsace? It's a lovely full bodied, fruity and smooth wine. Gewürztraminers are also great if you like sweet wines.

newmumwithquestions Sat 21-Oct-17 15:03:30

But having said that here are mine:

Red:
Tasmanian Pinot noir
Barolo

White
small & small Sylvia reserve or Sauvignon blanc

Cakescakescakes Sat 21-Oct-17 15:04:01

Yes Oyster Bay Sauvignon blanc as suggested by a pp. Absolutely beautiful. About a tenner.

littlemissneela Sat 21-Oct-17 15:04:56

I would go with the wine merchants recommendation tbh. I bought my dh a really lovely red with my local ones suggestions (gave them a price limit and the sort of wine we like to drink). It was delicious. From a quick search it would seem a burgundy or a chablis would be a good choice. You could always get two bottles at around £15 each, which was the amount the one I bought was.

Caulk Sat 21-Oct-17 15:05:34

I love cloudy bay but that will be more than you’d like to spend. You could ask for what is the most similar to that within your price range, or go for oyster bay like others have said.

SquareSophia Sat 21-Oct-17 15:16:53

Sancerre!

MardAsSnails Sat 21-Oct-17 15:23:26

Are with Hundred - St Veran will be good. I prefer chablis and sauvignon blanc, sometimes a bit of pinot grigio, if I'm drinking white and I really do like St Veran

orangeisnothenewblack Sat 21-Oct-17 15:24:48

For under £10, atm I'm enjoying Mud House and Pebbles, both Sauvignon blanc

Justchillaxing Sat 21-Oct-17 15:27:06

If you'd like a really good one try Cloudy Bay sauvignon blanc. It's about £20 a bottle. Otherwise any sauvignon blanc frim Marlborough New Zealand tends to be good.

BigMamaFratelli Sat 21-Oct-17 15:32:35

How about a white burgundy? My favourite is Saint Bris.

Wishimaywishimight Sat 21-Oct-17 15:33:14

Cloudy Bay is my all time favourite white!

MrsGoToBed80 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:52:22

Some good suggestions here thanks! I don't mind spending the £30 voucher on one bottle, £7-10 is what I normally spend but as I say this is a treat so don't mind pushing the boat about a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now