Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What do your kids do/play at home?

(26 Posts)
TartanTwo Sat 21-Oct-17 14:01:48

I need to cut down on the amount of screen time my two DSs (6 & 8) have. However, whenever I tell them to do something else I am met with a chorus of "But there's nothing else to dooooo!". My suggestions of reading/drawing/lego are dismissed. They do go outside and play in the garden quite a lot but obviously that's going to be less of an option as we head into winter. What do your kids do at home?

Believeitornot Sat 21-Oct-17 14:02:56

Well screens are addictive. So it is hard for them because it requires mental effort for them to devise other games 😬

Mine are

Believeitornot Sat 21-Oct-17 14:04:46

Whoops, bloody adverts cut across my screen and posted too soon.

Anyway, mine are 8 and nearly 6. When I’ve gone cold turkey on screens, they draw (we’ve got loads of art stuff), they read, do stickers, make dens, Lego, other games. But I have to make more effort with them and then they get used to it.

I also kind of ignore the “I’m bored comments” for a bit and they soon sort themselves out.

Mine are currently on screens so am steeling myself for switching them off and the resultant moans.

Cabawill Sat 21-Oct-17 14:06:35

Lego, reading and drawing are all on the go in our house at the moment. Dressing up and imaginative role play regularly too.

TartanTwo Sat 21-Oct-17 14:17:09

Thanks for your replies so far. I should perhaps have mentioned that DS1 is currently being assessed for possible (probable) ASD. In his case this means that role playing type cops 'n' robbers type games are out, as are things that involve too much in the way of turn-taking. I'm not sure what I'm after with this thread really - probably specific examples of activities/games I might suggest to them or even buy.

MrsHathaway Sat 21-Oct-17 14:25:27

Mine are similar about screens, but have recently taken to dominoes (chain reactions). Building tracks and pyramids, and setting them off, videoing them, resigning etc.

MrsHathaway Sat 21-Oct-17 14:26:28

* redesigning not resigning

We watch hevesh5 on YouTube for tutorials and inspiration. A five-minute video will provide hours of building.

winewolfhowls Sat 21-Oct-17 14:27:32

Marble run

museumum Sat 21-Oct-17 14:29:19

Board games?
NickJr has millions of adverts for all sorts which are a bit more fun / actuvecthan the traditional ones. The wiggly worm one looks ok or “don’t wake dad” or any of the millions of similar ones which are basically just operation but in different scenarios.

Cabawill Sat 21-Oct-17 14:29:44

Guess Who has been a big hit with mine recently but does involve turn taking. Operation is funny when it shakes and my DS (8) likes electronic sets where you can make the fan or lights come on by following the instructions- he prefers to play alone a lot of the time.

OvOntToSuckYourBlood Sat 21-Oct-17 14:31:48

Mine dislike being separated from screens too.

It helps if I take part in whatever activity I've suggested. So not just saying they could get the Lego out but actually build stuff with them. I do refuse to take part in all drawing competitions as it's not fair! I never win!

We play a lot of board games. Some are ones that you play together as a team rather than competing against each other. I'd like to say that was because my DS's are terribly competitive but it's actually me that gets stroppy. 😂

MilesJuppIsMyBitch Sat 21-Oct-17 14:32:42

One thing that works here is: I help them both to tidy their rooms for a few minutes.

They will soon get so engrossed with some toy or game that they Forget to tidy, then I sneak away and leave them to it.

TartanTwo Sat 21-Oct-17 14:34:03

OvOnt which are you favourite board games? Especially the team ones?

Msqueen33 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:34:20

I've got three who love their screens hence I've banned them: they're 8,7,5 youngest two have asd. They write, draw, devise their own games, play in the garden. I leave them to it a lot of the time to use their imagination.

EvilCleverDog Sat 21-Oct-17 14:37:13

Kids are supposed to be bored! It encourages them to use their imagination.

Haudyerwheesht Sat 21-Oct-17 14:38:22

Mine are 10&7. They play outside ALOT including during winter unless it's very icy or cold and severe rain. Trampoline is good, den building, just faffing around, football etc.

Inside ds plays with Lego figures and I help him build Lego. He plays chess with dh. He reads a lot.

Dd plays with her dolls (only just really understood how to play alone), she also plays schools a lot and does loads and loads and loads of crafts. She has access to a lot of tape, sequins, glue, pens, junk, different papers etc etc and that'll occupy her for a while.

Urubu Sat 21-Oct-17 14:38:56

Puzzles, building structures with magnetic pieces (quite expensive but good incestment), pretend to fix things with fake tools, undressing and dressing dolls

TartanTwo Sat 21-Oct-17 14:39:35

I would agree EvilClever but boredom with my two leads to rolling around on the floor wrestling which always ends up with violence and tears!

Haudyerwheesht Sat 21-Oct-17 14:39:56

Board games wise they both love junior trivial pursuit and bugs in the kitchen and heads up. Dd (7) loves cranium. Ds doesn't because he can't draw ...

LiveLifeWithPassion Sat 21-Oct-17 14:41:29

Mine will always choose screens too.
I often just get art stuff out and start drawing or painting. They’ll come and start doing something too then I leave them to it.
I buy big rolls of paper from IKEA. They love doing spooky pics or a dinosaur scene.
I do the same with jigsaw puzzles. I’ll just get one out and start it, they’ll come and join in then I’ll go.
They’ll also play with Lego and like baking.
At that age, they loved hot wheels too and had a few tracks.

Mine go outside in the garden, weather permitting. Outside they play on the trampoline or in the sand, or do skipping, or they chalk anything that can't run away.

Weather not permitting, the most common thing they do is roleplay. They pretend to be at school, or they pretend to be going on holiday, or they make up games which change all the time, currently we have Annabella and Sarah, Cowboy and Princess, and Puppy and Bello.

Sometimes they make up plays or circuses and perform them for us (the joy) or they craft, draw, read to each other, listen to story or music cds, play shop or kitchen, argue, practice gymnastics or recorder (again, the joy) or play a board or card game which usually ends up in arguments.

I rarely really play with them. Most of my interactions with them outside of the normal cooking/eating with them, taking them out and shepherding them about, are reading to them, setting up craft stuff they need help with, talking to them, yelling at them, teaching them random stuff that they ask about and helping them with the stuff they want to play with. I'll occasionally play a proper game with them, like a couple of times a week, and my youngest persuades me to play 'mummy' in her games when her sister is not around.

Screen time is really limited to weekends. The youngest is 5 and she doesn't use the iPad much - if it's 10 minutes a week I'd be surprised. The oldest is maybe up to about 2 hours per week, although not every week. She's 7. Tv/videos I'd say is about 2 hours per week for both children, but again, not every week. It's not that we consciously limit it, it just works out that way.

They are never bored.

SmileSunshine Sat 21-Oct-17 15:02:30

I read advice for a parent of bored children and someone advised giving them tasks of tidying and cleaning their bedroom when they were "bored". Amazingly, they soon stopped being bored grin

LadyGagarden Sat 21-Oct-17 15:03:56

I have two DDs aged 9 and 6. My 9 year old has SEN. They really like board games esp Guess who which has been mentioned by a pp. They like play doh (ice cream maker thing especially) and role playing. We do lots of arts and crafts and have a kitchen wall with all the pics we do relating to the particular time of year so all Halloween stuff at the moment. Hama and aqua beads. Baking cakes. Sometimes we have a book reading session together and take it in turns reading a page. Jigsaws when they’re in the mood for it then they’ll do loads!

I do find, particularly with my eldest DD, they’re much more inclined to do non screen relating things if I play with them. I also find once I’ve played a few games or done some crafts with them then they are more likely to play together for a bit longer without fighting!

StinkPickle Sat 21-Oct-17 15:05:53

Mine are only 5,3&1 but we have very very little screen time. Maybe an hour a week.

It’s additive so you need to go pretty cold turkey. They’ll soon start playing. If they say they’re bored ask them to help you with jobs. They’ll soon slink off.

CocoPuffsinGodMode Sat 21-Oct-17 15:14:02

Mine are the same age as yours. Right now they are building lego together in DDs room, lego being very popular in this house. Generally they play with their various toys, do role playing games eg school, hospital etc involving themselves plus various dolls, teddies and erm, action figures! Batman sometimes gets told off for not having his homework done grin. Sometimes they’ll put music on and dance around like loons or pretend they’re pop stars. DD really likes craft type stuff, DS not as big a fan but enjoys colouring. Both like to read.

They don’t have tablets/laptops so that avoids that argument. As it’s the weekend I don’t mind them watching tv or a dvd as during the week they don’t get much time for that by the time we all get home in the evening.

Complaints of boredom are met with a list of jobs that need doing around the house or the suggestion they could go over their spellings etc. Funnily enough they’re rarely bored wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now