Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help me understand Conversion Disorder or Histrionic Personality Disorder please.

(7 Posts)
KindleBueno Sat 21-Oct-17 13:45:30

Long story short my mother was an abusive, neglectful, manipulative person the whole of our relationship. I finally went very low contact and never see her by myself.

She has been diagnosed with the above after her health declining gradually to where now she says boasts she is incontinent and can barely walk. She has lost pretty much all independence. I'm certainly not suggesting she is putting it on - a blind man could see she can barely walk or use her hands. I have never heard of the above conditions and there is very little available to read online.

Has anyone else any experience or knowledge? I'm really trying to understand.

Stompythedinosaur Sat 21-Oct-17 14:10:55

Conversion disorder is where someone presents with a neurological disorder (like blindness or fits) where an organic (i.e. brain structure) reason cannot be found, and it is often in response to a psychological trigger.

Histrionic personality disorder is a pattern of behaviour present throughout adulthood characterised by an excessive need for attention, excessive attention seeking behaviours and sometime inappropriate seductive behaviour.

I've worked with people with personality disorders for a long time, is there something particular you'd like to know?

The main thing to remember about people who have these sorts of difficulties is that they didn't choose to have them, that they are most often a result of difficulties in their early childhood.

Copperkettles Sat 21-Oct-17 14:17:22

Also bear in mind conversion disorder is a controversial diagnosis and can definitely be a case of someone not being diagnosed correctly.

KindleBueno Sat 21-Oct-17 14:30:00

From the diagnostic criteria both are her to a t. I suppose I don't know what I'm asking...
I'm finding it really hard to accept that all the things she has done or said to me years ago before she seemed ill and recently mightn't be her fault and that I'm the monster for not letting it go because its an illness.
And I know I'm being awful but I need someone to explain to me how her illness isn't all the awful things she has done built up in her mind and guilt from knowing she did them that has manifested physically. I'm ashamed to even say that but I just cannot see it any differently

Ohyesiam Sat 21-Oct-17 17:44:10

Fair enough op, my mother had narcissistic personality disorder, and my sister had gone nc on amount of my mums vile treatment of her.
It's hard to know what would be left if you took the disorder away, and she still needs to take responsibility for her actions.

heebiejeebie Sun 22-Oct-17 07:01:01

Have a look at neurosymptoms.org. Very clear explanation of conversion disorder

Velvetbee Sun 22-Oct-17 08:11:20

You're not a monster, Kindle. She's behaved appallingly. It's going to take you a while to un-pick your experiences in the light of the new information.

It reminds me of DD who has been hellish to live with for years, abusive, critical then nice as pie hours later. She had us all walking on egg shells.
We sought help and are edging towards a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder. CBT has given her tools to control her behaviour and having a name for what she has means we understand better.

We sought help in an age when it is normal to do so. I wonder whether your mother recognised that her behaviour wasn't normal and what would have happened if she taken those feelings to a doctor decades ago.
It's a difficult road and I do feel for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now