Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Flipping thrush (again!)! Please help me...

(25 Posts)
PurpleFeather Sat 21-Oct-17 13:18:41

I used to get thrush every once in a while but nothing too bad, maybe twice a year? Now I seem to have it all the bloody time! I use canasten cream (can't have the capsules as an breastfeeding) when it happens which alleviates the symptoms for a while until the next episode... It's so annoying, obviously it's uncomfortable and it also interferes with my sex life🙁 I don't know why I have it so often at the moment, it started after my last child (c-section, and a few rounds of AB but that's ages ago now!). Often it happens when I('m about to) have my period.

Does anyone else suffer from recurring thrush and what can be done to prevent it? I already follow the the advice with regards to pants, washing, and also my diet is good (very little sugar).

Should I just take shares in Canasten and accept this is my life now?!

Any advice appreciated!

Graphista Sat 21-Oct-17 13:29:12

If it IS thrush you need to be avoiding yeast too.

But check it is first - could be bv which is often misdiagnosed as thrush (I had this issue after 2nd mc).

But also if you are getting recurrent thrush it could indicate diabetes - lots of people know about gestational diabetes but it's not always picked up and doesn't always just disappear postnatally or you could have developed it separate to pregnancy.

Dumbledoresgirl Sat 21-Oct-17 13:31:15

My understanding is that your partner has to be treated too otherwise they are just reinfecting you. Assuming you are with someone.

Wellthen Sat 21-Oct-17 13:35:47

I’ve had the same - also after a c section and around my period. However I was told I could take the oral medication whilst breastfeeding - in fact my gp checked the BNF in front of me so I know she wasn’t assuming.

She prescribed 2 taken a week apart to knock it on the head. I now get it during my period but it goes once I stop bleeding and its not too itchy.

So the short version: go to a different gp and ask again

PurpleFeather Sat 21-Oct-17 13:39:14

Thanks all, I will try to avoid yeast and book another appointment with my GP....

annapolis Sat 21-Oct-17 13:49:01

I second the advice above, but when I re-occurring thrush (and BV), I found that drinking an Actimel a day helped a lot. I read the advice on another forum years ago and I was very skeptical, but it worked for me.

For some reason Actimel seemed to work best, but there are a lot of other probiotic drinks and yogurts out there.

I hope you get it sorted as it is just miserable!

rogueantimatter Sat 21-Oct-17 13:52:19

Poor you. I was thr same. So miserable.

YY to probiotics.

Sorry to be gross, but using a tampon soaked in natural yoghurt will bring immediate relief too.

buckingfrolicks Sat 21-Oct-17 13:55:50

cut out/down sugar, no marmite, beer, lager, cut down bread - you want as little sugar and yeast in your diet as possible. 'Air' your privates as often as you can. No nylon nickers/trousers, no tights, use only Simple soap on your body, rinse carefully after shower or bath. Pee after sex, wash after sex. Bingo - worked for me

RNBrie Sat 21-Oct-17 14:00:45

Try keeping up with the cream for two weeks after your symptoms have all gone. My GP gave me an explanation of the life cycle of the fungus that causes it and it tends to have a resurgence 10 days or so after you've treated it. It worked well for me after months of low grade symptoms.

helpmum2003 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:02:54

Poor you. I would agree you definitely need to be tested to ensure it is thrush and not BV or something else. Also diabetes.Some thrush is resistant to standard treatments but this can only be determined by sending a sample. I would recommend going to a Sexual Health clinic rather than GP as they have more time to spend on complex cases as well as more experience. Treating partner is not currently recommended in guidelines so this is unlikely to be a cause. Regarding washing advice just to check you know it means NO soap and also no femfresh or any other feminine hygiene products or scented panty liners etc etc. Good luck.

BIWI Sat 21-Oct-17 14:04:45

Get a Diflucan tablet from the chemist (or buy a Boots/Tesco etc own label version), that should take effect within 24 hours. Buy the Canestan pessary and use that for yourself, and get your partner to use the cream.

And definitely look to cut out yeast and fermented things from your diet. If you're low sugar, that's already really good - but bread, mushrooms, soy sauce, alcohol and vinegar are all things you need to avoid. (Google the candida diet for more advice here).

Personally I'd avoid drinks like Actimel as they contain sugar - go to a good health food shop and ask for some probiotics. They should be stocked in the fridge.

Much sympathy. I had this every month for almost two years. It was a nightmare.

longdaysandpleasantnights Sat 21-Oct-17 14:16:57

I would get thrush every month, I think it was connected to my cycle. I have started taking Fem-dophilus supplements and I don’t know if it’s a coincidence but ever since I started taking them (June this year) I haven’t had thrush once. Could be worth a try?

WillowySnicket Sat 21-Oct-17 14:31:04

No answers but lots of sympathy. It is awful😱 it is my pregnancy/post natal joy every time. Urgh.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 21-Oct-17 14:37:48

* you and your partner need to be treated- you with cream AND pessaries.

* Stop using scented sanitary towels if you are, or liners.

* Stop using fabric conditioner.

* Take a probiotic- not the yoghurt type ,a capsule.

*Stop using scented bath/shower products

* Wear cotton undies

*A tampon dipped in yoghurt is soothing

* Eat lots of yoghurt too - make sure it's the live stuff.

Etymology23 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:50:00

Can try using canesten and hydrocortisone 1% (they do a ready mixed one but I don't see why you couldn't just use them separately) if there's cracking/soreness.

Docs said to me to stop wearing trousers and knickers at home - just go commando in a skirt. No knickers at night, only cotton any other time and suggested switching to a moon cup (havent tried this yet though!)

OhHolyJesus Sat 21-Oct-17 15:04:45

Not sure if this applies for your type but I had thrush breastfeeding and grapefruit seed extract (from Amazon) was the only thing that worked. Might be worth a look into it. Hope it clears up x

Ollivander84 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:06:23

What Dame said ^^
See the GP or GUM clinic too, when mine was bad I used a pessary every month for 6 months whether I had it or not and it cleared

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 21-Oct-17 15:17:50

Yes,you need to ask for at least 3 pessaries if it's bad to use each night.

rogueantimatter Sat 21-Oct-17 15:24:30

Yse grapefruitmseed extract is the business, but check if it's safe while bfing. I couldn't tolerate it after a short while.

BeyondThePage Sat 21-Oct-17 15:29:35

Main one is to make sure partner is treated too, or it will reinfect you again, and again, and again...

trqintracks Sat 21-Oct-17 16:11:30

I used to get thrush regularly until I started using a menstrual cup and, like you, I used to get it just before my period every month. Odd but it worked!

Thiswitcheshatisnotmine Sat 21-Oct-17 16:21:28

Yes, your partner xan take the Canesten tablet. Often men have no symptoms even if they have before, so just keep passing it back. I had really, really bad Thrush when bfing my first dd (finally went when my symptomless dh took a tablet...) but was in pain, raw, itchy, generally awful. They thought perhaps it was eczema as well. You can have the pessaries when bfing but talk to your dr about taking a tablet if they usually work well for you. I took two, a couple of weeks apart and my dr was happy for me to do so as nothing else was working. She looked it up and decided that as my dd was only feeding a few times a day she would get a minimal amout of the drug.

PurpleFeather Sat 21-Oct-17 17:30:33

Thank you for all the super suggestions flowers

BellarinatheCAG Sat 21-Oct-17 20:20:48

I third the Citricidal (grapefruit seed extract) advice. A few drops in some warm water drunk twice a day. Its very bitter but it really does work.

You do need to cut out sugar, yeast and simple carbs as much as possible until you've cleared up the infection and then continue for a while after as well.

Lots of water and plain yoghurt with live bacteria.

Wear only cotton underwear and wash it on a hot wash.

I found using lukewarm salt water to wash after having/during a wee really helped with that intense pain/burning.

I hope it clears up quickly.

BhajiAllTheWay Sat 21-Oct-17 22:06:02

Can you go to a sexual health clinic? We have one and basically to get treatment, you have to not say what's wrong..if you say you have thrush, they say go to gp ( gp is useless). If you say you have itch/ burning etc but not sure why they'll test you for various things and are much better at dishing out super strength treatments there and then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now