Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Sadness about moving house

(7 Posts)
CactusJelly00 Sat 21-Oct-17 12:09:30

Does anyone else feel sadness when moving house, irrespective of why?

I don't know if it's because It's always for a bad reason I've moved
Eg, first big household move was because my dad went to prison and my mum had to move us out of the area for our safety, then as an adult it's always, up until this year, been due to a bad reason. Such as a break up, then later being evicted (by environmental health because the house was dangerous and LL was refusing to fix citing lack of means - so a good thing really but we weren't in any financial situation to go and it was extremely stressful financially).
Anyway, the last move was fine. We were emigrating so I guess that was sad too. But we're moving again now, likely going about 4-5hrs drive away. We aren't particularly attached to the area, knew this could happen and I'm excited but I also have this weird emotional undertone of sadness. Sadness that I won't see this house again, that I'll be closing the door for the last time again. It's a rented house and not even particularly nice! It's also overpriced to the tune of about (in GBP) £75pw (ignorance, didn't know local prices too well etc).
blush
So tell me, am I the only one or do you guys reckon it's because moving was always a sad thing in the past and it's just kind of stuck with me?

Santawontbelong Sat 21-Oct-17 12:13:32

I am still so traumatised by leaving our old home I can't look at photos of my dc from when we lived there or even mention those few years.
I doubt the sadness will ever go. .

CactusJelly00 Sat 21-Oct-17 12:24:16

Guess I'm not the only one then santa I wouldn't say I'm traumatised but I do feel an undertone of sadness despite being excited.

Santawontbelong Sat 21-Oct-17 12:27:41

We lived in a rented farmhouse. The new owner came to see us and reassured us we could stay indefinitely - after years of uncertainty and an abusive marriage it was indeed a blessing. . The new owner was a man of status in our town and well respected. .
He evicted us with ten weeks to leave so he could turn our house into a holiday let.
Denied our conversation. When I went to my MP for guidance it turned out she was involved with his projects for the town too. .
It truly turned our world upside down.

RandomMess Sat 21-Oct-17 12:28:47

Probably all linked to the sense of loss you felt as a child - your Dad disappearing and leaving all your friends and home. That's big!

CactusJelly00 Sat 21-Oct-17 12:33:58

I'd be traumatised by that too santa - awful awful awful!

Quite possibly random, I did wonder. Though we had many bad things happen in a way moving was a relief. I remember it being very confusing and hard to deal with. That's why I wonder if it's the past that bothers me or if it's normal iykwim

RandomMess Sat 21-Oct-17 12:55:44

I think it could be your past. We moved a few years ago. I was sad to be leaving my friends, not the house.

I went back weekly for 2 months staying in the empty property bar blow up bed, you know I wasn't bothered "home" was with DH up and the DC even though rented temporary house was utterly grotty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now