Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My newborn has a spotty rash on just her face.

(41 Posts)
HurtyTeeth Sat 21-Oct-17 12:04:33

The midwife and HV both said it's normal but it's not improving.

What do you think?

Tw1nsetAndPearls Sat 21-Oct-17 12:05:56

My son had that when born. It cleared up after a few weeks. We used calendula cream which seemed to clear it but that could have been a coincidence

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Sat 21-Oct-17 12:06:52

It looks like milk spots. Common, harmless, settle by themselves but it takes a few weeks.

HurtyTeeth Sat 21-Oct-17 12:07:10

That photo isn't good. Her face has spots over cheeks, forehead and her skin is red in small patches.

Needadvicetoleave Sat 21-Oct-17 12:07:17

Milk rash. Totally normal. Especially as the health professionals have also told you that!

Cakescakescakes Sat 21-Oct-17 12:08:32

Very normal and common. Both my DC had it. Clears up on its own.

NoSwsForYou Sat 21-Oct-17 12:08:51

DS had it too for a while. It was around the time his baby hair seemed to fall out as well, so for a good while he looked like a spotty, thuggish little oik gringrin

HurtyTeeth Sat 21-Oct-17 12:19:05

I KNOW I sound over worried. However I am worried because on day 9,she was very flaky dry on her face so I put a smear of organic coconut oil on her face. The next day it came up rash and spotty. I can't figure out if I made her like it or it's a coincidence.
None of us have any allergies. We've all used coconut oil on face and body fine. I thought it'd be OK.

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Sat 21-Oct-17 12:23:08

I doubt you caused it, but newborn skin is best left alone unless strictly necessary anyway. It often goes from dry and flaky to spotty in the first few weeks as baby adapts to the world and works your hormones out of its system

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Sat 21-Oct-17 12:23:13

My dd had it too. I think it's called milia, or something similar.
I found that keeping water away from it and wiping dd's face over with e45 lotion on cotton wool cleared it up.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Sat 21-Oct-17 12:25:21

Here is dd's

PepperSteaks Sat 21-Oct-17 12:27:57

Milk rash or baby acne. Nothing to worry about.

Tw1nsetAndPearls Sat 21-Oct-17 12:36:57

This is my son with his, it got worse during a bath. It caused no long term problems

HurtyTeeth Sat 21-Oct-17 12:38:26

It's like yours, Winky.

HurtyTeeth Sat 21-Oct-17 12:41:11

So I don't have e45 or anything like that. I don't want to put anything else on her face now so with that in mind, it will clear up by itself, yes?

Starwhisperer Sat 21-Oct-17 12:42:29

Yup!

HurtyTeeth Sat 21-Oct-17 12:56:08

OK. I'll have to wait and see.

BalloonSlayer Sat 21-Oct-17 13:04:29

I was fretting about this with one of mine. The Midwife listened gravely and said "Yes there's a name for this condition."

"Is there?!" I said, eagerly, "What is it?"

"Spotty baby" she said.

grin

I didn't think it was very funny at the time though . . .

An Irish friend told me that in Ireland they are called "Christening Spots" as they always seem to appear at about the time that babies get Christened.

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Sat 21-Oct-17 13:07:32

Yes they'll clear up of their own accord, and since they're meant to be caused by maternal hormones, putting something on the skin won't do anything in any case.

It does mean that previously adorable newborns go through a stage of having spots and moulting their birth hair at the same time that makes them look like someone's dropped a pizza. grin best not to schedule any photoshoots between weeks 2 and 4.

stella23 Sat 21-Oct-17 13:09:30

My son had it however it did get worse, just look out for any amber coloured fluid weeping from it. Then the midwife will prescribe some cream, no lasting effects though

Pastaagain78 Sat 21-Oct-17 13:09:45

Very, very normal. Will clear up totally on its own.

MiddlingMum Sat 21-Oct-17 13:23:04

If it's any help, one of my babies had quite bad baby spots for a few weeks, but then had lovely clear skin through her teenage years. I'd assumed she'd get worse teenage acne for some reason hmm

Distressing though it is for you, it'll clear up soon. Just leave it alone and give it time. Your DD has lovely hair smile

AllThatIsGoldDoesNotGlitter Sat 21-Oct-17 14:08:48

Milia! Totally normal.

HurtyTeeth Sat 21-Oct-17 22:09:05

Thank you MiddlingMum! She has loads of hair and that side of her is the thinner side.

I hope it's nothing. I'll just have to be patient.

BowlingShoes Sat 21-Oct-17 22:12:28

Another one whose DD had it and it cleared up within a few weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now